Photo

Is your music learning affected by Coronavirus?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 kevin1981

kevin1981

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Member: 899738

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:56

As ABRSM announced the rest of the Spring exams are cancelled, my private teacher is also postponing lessons. I was planning to take my exams in the summer session but as my learning is now delayed and there is even doubt if ABRSM will reopen exam booking in this summer. So now Autumn season is more likely for exams.

Any of your experience to share?

#2 kenm

kenm

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2914 posts
  • Member: 2075

Posted 18 March 2020 - 13:25

Presumably your own activities will be restrained to some extent,  All I can recommend is that you spend your extra spare time in practice, especially whatever you have been told in recent lessons, as accurately as you can.  If you practise singing, sing to an electronic tuner that listens and reports your pitch.

My own situation is not very relevant to yours.  I am living alone and am taking the advice for my age, which is 12 weeks of self-isolation.  My extra time at home will be spent on making an arranging for 10 wind instruments (double wind quintet) of Kéler Béla's "Lustspiel" Overture.  My instrumental practice is sparse, since my playing is in an inevitable decline, and my musical capabilities that have declined least, if at all, are conducting and orchestration,

#3 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from the Rhubarb Triangle, Heavy Woollen District, Yorkshire

Posted 18 March 2020 - 13:30

We have just had to cancel the April meeting of our piano group so I have nothing that I need to polish up for performance in the near future. However no exams planned during this lifetime.

My teacher has not cancelled her schedule of lessons. I am beginning to revise some Beethoven that I first looked at thirty years ago as part  of the 250th anniversary activities but I had intended not to take this to teacher anyway and instead play it as a surprise at the piano group meeting when eventually we can get back together.

#4 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 18 March 2020 - 16:37

My piano group and ukulele club meetings are all cancelled. It's not restricting practice/learning, but they do have an added impetus. Also an amateur's concert for May has been cancelled. My lessons are by video so I am intending to keep up with them.

#5 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 18 March 2020 - 21:21

Choir has been cancelled but the director is organising online singalongs for us instead. One of her other choirs did theirs today and they said it was great fun. I've had to postpone my regular singing lesson for other reasons (ie I'm decorating my music room and it's like a building site at the moment). Director (also my teacher) hasn't called to rearrange yet but I wouldn't be surprised if she stops her teaching until after Easter.

My piano lessons have also been cancelled but teacher is regularly in touch via email with links to videos etc etc., so all I need to do is practice - in my newly refurbished music room, which I'll have more time to finish now that we're in shutdown mode. :piano:

#6 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 19 March 2020 - 08:07

So far my piano lessons are carrying on - I have them at the local music shop, and they can't shut until the government bans them from opening for insurance reasons. Poor staff when I went in yesterday - no customers whatsoever and they looked bored to death. But I'm assuming each lesson is my last. Won't make too much difference to my practice, but obviously having a teacher is really helpful to get pieces from a 70% OK to a 90% OK level, so I will miss that.

#7 Clarimoo

Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1932 posts
  • Member: 71829

Posted 20 March 2020 - 11:27

Yes. Mostly because I can't concentrate for longer than three seconds.

#8 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1166 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 20 March 2020 - 14:52

No I do not take exams and as I posted earlier in the Teacher forum, my music academy is not closing so it is business as usual

#9 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 20 March 2020 - 21:05

... Poor staff when I went in yesterday - no customers whatsoever and they looked bored to death. But I'm assuming each lesson is my last...

I'm secretary of my archery club. We've been directed by our governing body to close until further notice. It's been my job to contact members and inform them, as well as those who are halfway through our beginners' course. We're a close-knit club and I felt quite emotional doing that and almost wanted to close my emails with "goodnight, archers, everywhere". As it was, I managed to post a recording of Henry Hall's Here's To The Next Time on our social media page.

On the plus side, our county winter series sees me in first place as of February and they're going to finish it there instead of next month, which means an unexpected medal for me. :yay:

#10 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 21 March 2020 - 15:39

My learning is affected in that my day job is in the NHS and I am incredibly busy with very little time to practice at the moment, as you can probably imagine.

However, I am continuing with my flute lessons and have just had my first one via FaceTime, which was easier than expected. My teacher is great, and very understanding of my limited practice time, so we've set realistic goals that I can practice in short chunks, My vague plan for doing a Diploma is definitely on the back burner for now, although I'm continuing to work on the pieces that would be my programme when I've got the time.

Before this all kicked off, I had started thinking about having piano lessons too, and that's definitely taken a back seat!

#11 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4851 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:13

Bull's eye Saxwarbler (or whatever they call it in archery) - congratulations! :)

#12 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6289 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 23 March 2020 - 17:03

My practising has been thrown off because I feel discombobulated. Not anxious and not scared but just disrupted and I can't seem to concentrate. I'm sure I will get over it soon. 

#13 Invidia

Invidia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Member: 12564
  • London

Posted 23 March 2020 - 17:29

My practising has been thrown off because I feel discombobulated. Not anxious and not scared but just disrupted and I can't seem to concentrate. I'm sure I will get over it soon. 

This is how I feel towards everything right now. Although for the past couple of days I've completely detached from all mainstream news sources and I'm feeling a little better.

#14 Rach123

Rach123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Member: 244658
  • Colchester, Essex

Posted 23 March 2020 - 22:05

This is how I feel towards everything right now. Although for the past couple of days I've completely detached from all mainstream news sources and I'm feeling a little better.

Me too. My anxiety is too great right now for me to concentrate on playing my instruments. My sax and clarinet are out on stands but i just don't want to to pick them up to play them during the day. Even my ukulele is being neglected. I'm worrying about too much stuff.

I've been learning to play sax via band but because of this virus and social distancing, I haven't been able to go the last couple of weeks.

It's hard to play with a band over video conferencing so I don't think band will happen for a few months (and i will really miss it)

I have two choirs that I sing with (one i've only recently started singing with whilst the other I've sung with since 2017). The recent one won't do video because of the delay in sound. But my showchoir has gone online by us being on video talking but being muted when we sing.

#15 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6264 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 23 March 2020 - 22:42

Well it is now. No lessons for now but the possibility of online if I fancy it.