#1 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:14

The name pops up every now and again, but I have never listened to any Einaudi. Would be nice to see what his music is like - please could I have few suggestions of the best pieces / recordings I could listen to on Youtube to see if I like it?

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18289 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:40

Maybe his best known piece is le Onde .   Here is a You tube recording.  But I have to say Einaudi does absolutely nothing for me , much of it is very similar.  I wont touch it with a barge pole !

#3 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4077 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:51

I really enjoyed playing it for a while when I first came across it. I've had quite a few pupils play Il giorno and I rather like that one.

#4 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6589 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:13

I think he's a 'marmite' composer. Classic FM loves him, I can't stand him. 

#5 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 16 October 2020 - 13:23

Generally I wouldn't spend time listening to his music however I do get the odd occasion where all I want to listen to is some generic sounding classical music and Einaudi fits that requirement quite well.

#6 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20160 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 16 October 2020 - 16:28

I’ve had a couple of teenage pupils really inspired by Einaudi - with rewarding and musical results. 

Generally not my choice of listening, and Classic FM overdoes him - but useful to pull out of the bag now and again. 

#7 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:11

Maybe his best known piece is le Onde .   Here is a You tube recording.  But I have to say Einaudi does absolutely nothing for me , much of it is very similar.  I wont touch it with a barge pole !

Thank you F#m! Not my cup of tea either! How to spend 5 minutes going nowhere - very prettily (albeit 90% a very unsubtle Forte) but nothing actually happens, there's no point to it. Which would be good if you were doing some mindfulness exercises or wanted something on because you don't like silence ... but when you think of the subtleties of tune and harmony in Chopin or Mendelssohn - no comparison. I guess each to their own, and presumably it touches a chord with a modern generation that I don't understand. 

Still, worth having a listen to it, and it isn't unpleasant to the ear (apart from some very clumsy key changes) so it's not the worst thing I've ever listened to!!

If I were a teacher I would refuse to teach it though, on the basis that if you can play the first two bars you've cracked it!

#8 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4077 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:39

If I were a teacher I would refuse to teach it though, on the basis that if you can play the first two bars you've cracked it!

Actually I think it’s good for teaching careful reading as the sections are similar but slightly different so you have to take care reading.