#20656 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1244 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 01 October 2019 - 16:44

OK, I'll come clean then, on my personal view, and this is only personal. From a music perspective, I agree entirely; there is so much beautiful music with Latin texts, and we should enjoy it and preserve it. But I personally don't want it mixed up with my religion, because for me personally, having a general idea of the plot won't do. I feel a need to understand each word I say or hear, and I am deeply suspicious of anything that puts a language barrier between me and my creator. So for me, all that latin church music is firmly in the enjoy-it-in-a-secular-way box, which is a bit of a paradox, because I admire the religious feelings of those who wrote it to the glory of God, and yet I'm denying them the chance to see it used that way today...

The whole debate is probably summed up by the music-teacher and choirmaster who declared "Today we're practicing the tee-dium"

Meanwhile on a happier note, outbreaks of grumpiness about language have had beautiful and creative consequences. It was grumpiness about the dominance of Italian operas, their serious classical nature, and the sight of an English wannabe-elite elevating themselves above the masses by their supposed enjoyment and understanding of these works, that led to the comic opera, the Beggar's opera in particular, and a lot of earthy, robust, funny works with witty and cheeky lyrics in the common tongue, working with ordinary, recognizable figures, and using well-known chirpy songs. Language and its pronunciation, are, thank Heavens, much bigger than any individual.

#20657 Rach123

Rach123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Member: 244658
  • Colchester, Essex

Posted 01 October 2019 - 21:29

I think I'm starting to rediscover my faith and where I'm going on my life journey. Baby steps though :) don't want to push it too much

#20658 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6192 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 02 October 2019 - 16:48

Well for reasons which don't concern the the Forum all I will say is I ditched religion several years ago and have no intention of going anywhere near it ever again. 

Doesn't stop me enjoying renaissance polyphony or plainchant - it helps I know enough Latin to get by with understanding it. 

#20659 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 02 October 2019 - 18:20

I like some religious music (mostly by Bach), for me it's just music. 

#20660 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:48

I fitted some chimney insulation - its amazing! I have 4 open fireplaces that I don't use, but want to keep because they are original, and usually have gales inside the house (things actually blow off tables!). Most of the draughts have now gone.

#20661 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2813 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:27

I fitted some chimney insulation - its amazing! I have 4 open fireplaces that I don't use, but want to keep because they are original, and usually have gales inside the house (things actually blow off tables!). Most of the draughts have now gone.

What did you use? We've tried chimney balloons (got sucked right out of the chimney!) and a chimney umbrella (didn't really fit that well). But we don't really want anything permanent as we use the fireplaces occasionally.

#20662 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:06

What did you use? We've tried chimney balloons (got sucked right out of the chimney!) and a chimney umbrella (didn't really fit that well). But we don't really want anything permanent as we use the fireplaces occasionally.

Chimney sheep! The are easy to insert and remove.

My upstairs flues are triangular and the square ones squash in - you do need to measure first for the right size/shape or get them custom made - I didn't mind if the corners hang down, so went with squashing. I wasn't keen on the balloons/umbrellas as they are plastic, and I also thought they could burst/tear despite what they say, as I often get big lumps of mortar falling down the chimney (I hate to think how much it would cost to make them safe to actually use!).

#20663 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2813 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:44

Chimney sheep! The are easy to insert and remove.
My upstairs flues are triangular and the square ones squash in - you do need to measure first for the right size/shape or get them custom made - I didn't mind if the corners hang down, so went with squashing. I wasn't keen on the balloons/umbrellas as they are plastic, and I also thought they could burst/tear despite what they say, as I often get big lumps of mortar falling down the chimney (I hate to think how much it would cost to make them safe to actually use!).

Brilliant. Thanks.

We get a fair bit of stuff falling down our chimneys but they've been smoke checked and they don't leak.

#20664 Crock

Crock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Member: 288071
  • South West

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:33

For some fireplaces that are never used, I've used footballs or similar of the appropriate size, and they have worked very well!

#20665 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1376 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:28

Chimney balloons!!! ????????????
Foranyone who has read Tom Sharpe's "Porterhouse Blue" this has a whole different context!

#20666 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1244 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:41

This is all wrong, wrong! Has no one read Nancy Drew? Total lack of appreciation of plot requirements, romance, and the necessity of following tradition. You should have the proceeds of a bank-robbery stuffed up your chimney hidden in an old sack, or the diary of a girl who once lived in the house, or a small, mysterious wooden chest, or something. Waste of a good historical chimney...

#20667 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 13:00

I had a rabbit stuck up one once! He eventually came down for a strawberry.

#20668 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4906 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 04 October 2019 - 13:21

....and of course a hen dropped down the chimney in order to sweep it, although I wouldn't care to have to clean up the mess once it landed.

#20669 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1244 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 13:34

... and if it got stuck, you'd have to pull-et

#20670 Crock

Crock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Member: 288071
  • South West

Posted 05 October 2019 - 00:43

Chimney balloons!!! ????????????
Foranyone who has read Tom Sharpe's "Porterhouse Blue" this has a whole different context!

Yes I have. And even watched years ago the TV adaptation. Yes, you are quite right!