#1 diane

diane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Member: 20686
  • Manchester

Posted 04 July 2021 - 12:27

My Social Media and Online Teaching Policy states under Safeguarding that minors must have one adult only remaining in the room during the lesson or nearby through an open door and that no other people must be allowed in the room during lessons. My Online Teaching Contract confirms under Safeguarding that the Student/Parent agrees to comply with my Social Media Policy safeguarding advice in relation to online teaching. These clauses are recommended by the MU.

It isn't unusual for students' parents not to have read these, despite signing them, or just ignoring them and doing as they please. I have had all sorts of interruptions from other family members from time to time and just soldier on regardless. 

However, one 12 year old is constantly on her own as her mother has to work. She is Chinese and finds it hard to communicate. When I ask her questions she sometimes doesn't reply until I say I can't hear her, was that yes or no? Eventually I have to ask her just to say yes or no and she complies under her breath. It is hard to find out anything without a parent in the room and frustrating when teaching online. Sometimes I need information from her mother as the student never knows anything that is going on in relation to her piano arrangements. 

The whole point of the clauses in those contracts is to safeguard anything that either of us might say or do that could cause the other to be concerned or upset - we would have a witness. I have reminded the mother verbally and in writing that I'm not happy about her being alone but I can see she is never there during the lessons and the child has confirmed that. I also u/stand that the mother has to put her work first but she has done this behind my back and ignored my comments. 

Any ideas how to resolve this would be appreciated. I could ask the mother if the child could have her lesson on a day when she is at home perhaps but if she's working it is probably every day. 

The student took her Gr 3 exam yesterday - I asked her to tell her mother to contact me afterwards but have heard nothing so far. She also keeps asking me to teach her at my studio, which is out of the question at present. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: children, online, age