#106 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2887 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 08 December 2019 - 15:52

No, though he considered going into the church for a while!

#107 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1484 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 08 December 2019 - 17:54

Strangely enough, I have a friend who is a vicar, and she sends out a round robin. It is always amusing as her grown up children have had colourful personal lives. I'm always amused by how she manages to very diplomatically skirt around issues such as acrimonious marriage breakdowns and grandchildren being caught smoking joints behind the bike sheds. It's always a highlight of the year to receive it.

#108 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 08 December 2019 - 20:35

We (OH and I) have a very good friend who is a recently retired CofE vicar, and we call him our 'irreverent reverend'. He doesn't smoke but he likes a drink, races around on a motorbike and plays a mean blues harmonica/saxophone/bass guitar. Whenever we meet, whatever the company (including my mother's funeral service, where he was officiating - at my request - and with all my aunts and uncles in attendance) he greets me by throwing his arms around me, giving me a big kiss and asking me to marry him. He knows I'm an athiest but never tries to preach at me. Says it's up to me but if I ever do seek 'a bit of God' then he'll be there to help. Now, that's the type of vicar I like.

#109 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 08 December 2019 - 21:48

Strangely enough, I have a friend who is a vicar, and she sends out a round robin. It is always amusing as her grown up children have had colourful personal lives. I'm always amused by how she manages to very diplomatically skirt around issues such as acrimonious marriage breakdowns and grandchildren being caught smoking joints behind the bike sheds. It's always a highlight of the year to receive it.

That's hilarious! Almost tempted to send one of those.....

#110 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 09 December 2019 - 14:10

I like round robins. I don't care if they're a bit boasty, I still like to hear people's news.

They are great for keeping in touch if you live abroad. I started sending mine almost fifty years ago and once, when I decided enough was enough, there was a howl of anguish from my normal recipients when they realised I hadn't written one that year.

I started because it was so time-wasting to repeatedly write basic stuff about life in this country which enable contents of a normal letter to be more easily understood. Positive side effects are that I can get in touch with any of these folk if I want to visit, even after decades without meeting them. And when a recipient dies, which happens all too frequently these days, I usually get informed by their family (whom I may not  know). Occasionally I stay in contact with a surviving partner or a 'descendent', as they may enjoy hearing about events involving the person they loved which took place long before they came on the scene. And I keep a copy for myself which makes interesting reading sometimes.

#111 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4748 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 17 December 2019 - 14:37

Ah... the boaster of the year's round robin has arrived! "Tarquin has started school, but he is a very quick learner and the lessons are too easy for him" and of course Jemima is "top of the class". Poor kids. They do the work and the parents get the bragging rights. :(

Edit: So tempted to write one back about Dozy Hen's achievements. ;)

#112 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 15:08

I was quite interested to see this use of  the phrase 'round robin'. I've always called my letter a 'circular' because it was sent to people who then passed it round to the other members of their family. (This was before email, computers or photocopiers).

In my youth, round robin was a critical letter or petition signed by a group of people. The signatures were written in a circle to avoid having a name the top of the list who would then be looked on as 'ringleader'.

Did anyone else use the phrase like that?

#113 ten left thumbs

ten left thumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • Member: 454622

Posted 17 December 2019 - 15:36

I was quite interested to see this use of  the phrase 'round robin'. I've always called my letter a 'circular' because it was sent to people who then passed it round to the other members of their family. (This was before email, computers or photocopiers).

In my youth, round robin was a critical letter or petition signed by a group of people. The signatures were written in a circle to avoid having a name the top of the list who would then be looked on as 'ringleader'.

Did anyone else use the phrase like that?

How interesting! I love knowing things like this!

#114 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1484 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 22:53

Bumped to get spam off the first page. But also because this was (is) a pretty fun thread!

#115 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 01 January 2020 - 23:25

People who cruelly injure birds for no reason. 

#116 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6613 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:38

Ah... the boaster of the year's round robin has arrived! "Tarquin has started school, but he is a very quick learner and the lessons are too easy for him" and of course Jemima is "top of the class". Poor kids. They do the work and the parents get the bragging rights. :(

Edit: So tempted to write one back about Dozy Hen's achievements. ;)

Of course! I've missed tales of Dozy Hen!

#117 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4748 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:54

Last night she fell off her perch, so I gave her a cuddle and we watched a wildlife documentary together, and then I put her to bed on her cushion (even she can't fall off of that, or at least I hope not!) :rolleyes:

#118 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4999 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:06

Confessing to mild annoyance at having to click through lots of 'bump'/ otherwise empty posts in order to clear out my New Content page.

#119 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1484 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 14:32

Apologies!

#120 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 17:26

Now all the houses opposite us have been demolished, we have a fantastic panoramic view - of the thick mist covering the lake and hiding the mountains beyond!