#16 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 08 November 2019 - 17:14

As a learner, I would prefer a teacher afford me the most basic of courtesies of being honest as to why he or she would not wish to have me as pupil.  If there is nothing sinister underpinning your reasoning, e.g. contravening the Equality Act 2010, and have articulated this clearly and logically then surely you have nothing to worry about. 

I'm afraid I don't agree. There are some incredibly rude, mean people in the world, and telling someone who's been obnoxious why you don't want to teach them is likely to result in a bad review which could ruin your business. I've had enquiries from people who have been rude and I really don't think saying anything along the lines of "I only teach polite people" is going to go down well!

#17 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4658 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 08 November 2019 - 17:17

Totally agree about not giving a reason. Don't open the can of worms. If someone has reached adulthood without learning how to behave, then that's not your responsibility. Also stick with e-mail for communication - phoning can be tricky with those who won't take no for an answer.

#18 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1411 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 08 November 2019 - 20:44

Is there another teacher that you'd feel able to pass them on to? 'I only have limited availability and at the moment I think Mrs X might be a better fit for you' (?)

It's a nice idea but there is no way I would inflict this person on another teacher!

#19 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 20:49

As a learner, I would prefer a teacher afford me the most basic of courtesies of being honest as to why he or she would not wish to have me as pupil.  If there is nothing sinister underpinning your reasoning, e.g. contravening the Equality Act 2010, and have articulated this clearly and logically then surely you have nothing to worry about. 

The best outcome would to be constructive: explain why you cannot teach them and provide them with alternative solutions, such as another possible teacher or changes to their behaviour that would allow you to take them on as a pupil.

In another thread, a teacher was going on about music teachers not being treated seriously as other Professions.  To me, you do yourself no favours by acting unprofessionally: one of the core characteristics of a professional is integrity; being honest. Condoning and advocating blatantly lying about lack of spaces and waiting lists is not acting professionally, quite the opposite.

I really don't know where to begin with this except to say that this is stunningly naive view. I know I have not given any details as to why I won't take this student on, (wise on an open forum) but surely it doesn't take much imagination to realise that honesty is not always the best policy. All I can say is that you are thinking like a student here, not as an experienced teacher or professional who works on a one to one basis in their own private studio.

#20 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 20:51

If someone has reached adulthood without learning how to behave, then that's not your responsibility.

I may steal that at some point!

#21 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 20:52

I'm afraid I don't agree. There are some incredibly rude, mean people in the world, and telling someone who's been obnoxious why you don't want to teach them is likely to result in a bad review which could ruin your business. I've had enquiries from people who have been rude and I really don't think saying anything along the lines of "I only teach polite people" is going to go down well!

A good point about the reviews. I hadn't thought of that , but just one more reason not to be too honest!

#22 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19951 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 08 November 2019 - 21:02

Yes. I had rather thought from the first post, that if complete and utter honesty were at all feasible, then you wouldn’t have been asking the question! 

#23 violinlove

violinlove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Member: 381238

Posted 08 November 2019 - 21:12

What about

Thank you for your inquiry blahblah

Unfortunately I do not have a space available for you.

I wish you well in your search for a teacher/musical journey/something else appropriate.

Regards,

Ma non Troppo

Then ignore any further e-mails/follow up requests etc.

#24 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1395 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2019 - 21:15

The best outcome would to be constructive: explain why you cannot teach them and provide them with alternative solutions, such as another possible teacher or changes to their behaviour that would allow you to take them on as a pupil.

In another thread, a teacher was going on about music teachers not being treated seriously as other Professions.  To me, you do yourself no favours by acting unprofessionally: one of the core characteristics of a professional is integrity; being honest. Condoning and advocating blatantly lying about lack of spaces and waiting lists is not acting professionally, quite the opposite.

I really don't know where to begin with this except to say that this is stunningly naive view. I know I have not given any details as to why I won't take this student on, (wise on an open forum) but surely it doesn't take much imagination to realise that honesty is not always the best policy. All I can say is that you are thinking like a student here, not as an experienced teacher or professional who works on a one to one basis in their own private studio.

Apart from my postings on this Forum you know absolutely nothing about my professional career or private activities and I should be grateful if you would not be so wildly presumptive about whether or not I am an experienced teacher or deal with clients on a one-to-one basis.  You know nothing at all about how I perform in a professional capacity.  Your degree of assumption is astonishingly beyond belief and, quite frankly, shameful for one who is supposed to be teacher.  Thoroughly disgusting and wholly unprofessional.  Vile by every assessment.

You have every right to disagree with my opinion that openly advocating wanton lying about your lack of desire to take on an individual as a pupil.  However, by the same token I have every right to state that, by doing so, you are behaving in a manner wholly unworthy of a 'professional', whose standards of conduct is understood in quotidian and formal lexica as including honesty and integrity in practice.  Nïave, maybe, but if your only re-course to fielding undesirable prospective students is sink to open and blatant lies then you are no professional.  The law is in place already to protect those who have been libelled.  Use the Law, don't sink to the level of ne'er do wells.

#25 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 21:22

Apart from my postings on this Forum you know absolutely nothing about my professional career or private activities and I should be grateful if you would not be so wildly presumptive about whether or not I am an experienced teacher or deal with clients on a one-to-one basis.  You know nothing at all about how I perform in a professional capacity.  Your degree of assumption is astonishingly beyond belief and, quite frankly, shameful for one who is supposed to be teacher.  Thoroughly disgusting and wholly unprofessional.  Vile by every assessment.

You have every right to disagree with my opinion that openly advocating wanton lying about your lack of desire to take on an individual as a pupil.  However, by the same token I have every right to state that, by doing so, you are behaving in a manner wholly unworthy of a 'professional', whose standards of conduct is understood in quotidian and formal lexica as including honesty and integrity in practice.  Nïave, maybe, but if your only re-course to fielding undesirable prospective students is sink to open and blatant lies then you are no professional.  The law is in place already to protect those who have been libelled.  Use the Law, don't sink to the level of ne'er do wells.

#26 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 21:23

What about
I wish you well in your search for a teacher/musical journey/something else appropriate.
Regards,
Ma non Troppo

I like that, but the use of the word "you" would probably be enough to trigger them.

#27 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1395 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2019 - 21:23

No need to quote, love.

#28 violinlove

violinlove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Member: 381238

Posted 08 November 2019 - 21:42

What about
Regards,
Ma non Troppo

I like that, but the use of the word "you" would probably be enough to trigger them.

Oh well... just leave the you out.

This person sounds like hard work.

Just send this one email and then complete disengage.

It's not clear if you know them in a social setting as well. If you do and are likely to meet them and they then keep asking about lessons just employ the stuck record technique. Unfortunately I do not have a space available. No, I repeat, I do not have a space available.

#29 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 21:49

What about
Regards,
Ma non Troppo

Oh well... just leave the you out.
This person sounds like hard work.
Just send this one email and then complete disengage.

It's not clear if you know them in a social setting as well. If you do and are likely to meet them and they then keep asking about lessons just employ the stuck record technique. Unfortunately I do not have a space available. No, I repeat, I do not have a space available.

Good advice. I am hoping they won't push it via email but if they do, I have already thought that I would just not reply. It's best as it gives them nothing to feed off. The only way I would come across them in person would likely be if they turned up at my home, and I am hoping this doesn't happen.

#30 edgmusic

edgmusic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Member: 77428

Posted 08 November 2019 - 21:55

Sad that ma non troppo's interesting question has developed in such an unfortunate way as the posts have progressed.

I thought this forum was set up for 'teachers helping teachers'