Barry Williams

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1347 posts
  • Member: 20603
  • Beddington, Surrey

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:33

I have heard a rumour that the Cavaille Coll organ in the Parr Hall Warrington is to be moved to Sheffield Cathedral to replace the electronic instrument. Perhaps someone can confirm that.

The electronic has had a chequered history insofar as it started life as a 'Bradford' system, but was found unsatisfactory, apparently still within the guarantee period and the mechanism has been replaced by a modern system of sound sampling.

The Warrington Cavaille Coll is one of the most important examples of this famous organ builder's work. It is a glorious sound and the slightly sharp pitch is not so far away from concert pitch as to make it unuseable.

Barry Williams

#2 Holz Gedeckt

Holz Gedeckt

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3656 posts
  • Member: 11674

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:54

I hope this rumour does prove to be correct if it means that this instrument will be used more frequently, and if Sheffield Cathedral can obtain a decent instrument to replace their present organ.

I know for certain that, when I gave a recital at Sheffield Cathedral in 2007, they had their eye on this particular organ to replace their present - most unsatisfactory - instrument.

There have been rumours circulating for quite a long while that the authorities at the Parr Hall have wanted to dispose of the instrument. However, I have heard recently that this may indeed not be the case, and that plans are being discussed for the organ to be retained - and used more frequently - at the Parr Hall.

So, we shall see!

#3 guilmant

guilmant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • Member: 8200
  • South West

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:04

Thanks Barry for this, I've followed a bit of the history of this instrument and the short sightedness of the authorities from a distance. Good news for Sheffield! Who is likely to take on the installation of the instrument?

PS, nearly finished your book and it has been most enlightening, particularly regarding conflicts and resolutions between organists, clergy, PCC and choir members.

#4 Barry Williams

Barry Williams

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1347 posts
  • Beddington, Surrey

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:23

QUOTE(guilmant @ Jan 5 2009, 10:04 AM) View Post

Thanks Barry for this, I've followed a bit of the history of this instrument and the short sightedness of the authorities from a distance. Good news for Sheffield! Who is likely to take on the installation of the instrument?

PS, nearly finished your book and it has been most enlightening, particularly regarding conflicts and resolutions between organists, clergy, PCC and choir members.

Thank you for this. Given the 'consultant' I would be very surprised if a British organ builder got the job.

I am glad you like the book. It is still very popular and regular free updates are avilable on our Website. Some people buy it just for the chapters on Child Protection or Clergy versus Organist. Perhaps that tells us where organists' thoughts are at the moment - though a lot of Clerics buy it too.

Barry Williams

#5 Barry Williams

Barry Williams

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1347 posts
  • Beddington, Surrey

Posted 13 January 2009 - 17:25

QUOTE(jonathan leathem @ Jan 13 2009, 12:34 PM) View Post

hi barry where could i get a copy of your book? it sounds like a good read!

Thank you for your email.

Please send me a private email with your contact details. We can arrange a discount for Board Members!

Barry Williams

#6 Holz Gedeckt

Holz Gedeckt

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3656 posts
  • Member: 11674

Posted 27 January 2009 - 23:35

A question in another thread about how organs used to be blown - before electricity became the standard - made me recall this instrument at Warrington.

Built originally in 1870 at Bracewell Castle for a Mr. J.T. Hopwood, it later moved with its owner to Ketton Hall, near Stamford, in 1875. An even more impressive house organ than yours, Barry! tongue.gif smile.gif

When installed at Ketton it had three water engines provided to blow the instrument. Hardly any of the smaller towns - and no villages - had a mains water supply in 1875. But one was installed at Ketton - along with a reservoir of a capacity of some 30,000 gallons on top of a hill in the village - just for this instrument!

When the instrument was purchased by the Warrington Corporation for erection in the Parr Hall in 1926, the mains water supply was diverted so that the village could enjoy having their own mains water, 51 years after the organ originally did. Even in 1926 there were very few villages which had a mains water supply, so Ketton village was very fortunate to have been able to take over a ready-made water supply.

Holz Gedeckt - a mine of useless information! rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

#7 tutta forza

tutta forza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 53838

Posted 29 September 2019 - 15:29

On the subject of the Warrington Cavaillé-Coll organ.

In October, 2017, we were able to book the Parr Hall for 4 hours, at a cost of £50.

The Association Cavaillé-Coll's Vice-président, Kurt Lueders travelled from Paris to see the historic organ in the Parr Hall in Warrington, England.

The others who were there, were Organ Adviser, Gerald Sumner, Organ Buider, David Wells, Ted Tilling, Scirard Lancelyn-Green and myself.

As a resut of this meeting, the Association Aristide Cavaillé-Coll in Paris has recently completed a new monograph for the Association's publication, La Flûte Harmonique. It is in both French and English, and can be regarded as a lasting document for the future of this momentous instrument, wherever it may eventually rest.

http://www.cavaille-coll.fr/

As far as I know, the Warrington Borough Council is presently asking £1.5 million for the Cavaillé-Coll organ, which achieved a Grade One listing by BIOS in June, 2015.

Following my last meeting with Culture Warrington in 2014, I created the Facebook group, 'Warrington Cavaillé-Coll Organ'.

https://www.facebook...60405240701596/

Ian Bell did a full report on the condition of the organ for WBC in October, 2011. In it, he recommended that there was a contract of maintenance, as tuning it before a Male Voice Choir concert was far from enough.

We ordered copes of this monograph and distributed them to several significant people, in the hope that one day someone will realize how important this instrument is.

The last recital was by Jonathan Kingston on 26th October, 2015.

Thanks to Dr Andrew Pink, this organ now has its own Wikipedia page - https://en.wikipedia...illé-Coll_Organ

#8 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1377 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 29 September 2019 - 15:36

Completely off-topic, but I love that tutta forza joined the Forum more than 10 years ago yet has just one post again their name!

#9 tutta forza

tutta forza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 53838

Posted 29 September 2019 - 15:54

I have not been idle in those ten years, and it is good to be back !!