#1 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2100 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 18 September 2021 - 09:33

The kid has decided he'd like to have a go at learning guitar. He's autistic and quite fixed in his ways, and leaping straight in with a teacher is a high-risk situation, and probably too big a hurdle for him just now. On the other hand, he gets on well with online activities, so he found himself an online-learning app, "Simply Guitar" from JoyTunes. Unfortunately the app won't work on his android tablet. It just gets stuck at the start-up screen. Having read some reviews on it, this may be a good thing.

Does anyone know any good apps that actually work? Obviously I'm not expecting him to be rivalling Julian Bream by the end of the week, and there's a limit to what you can learn from an app, but since that's what he's set his heart on, if we go that way, at least he's starting with motivation, and not with a massive argument about doing it in a different way to what he expected. Does anyone have any experience with these things? I know absolutely nothing about guitar, or apps; I learned with sheet music and have only attempted organ (with a teacher) and recorder (muddling-through alone), neither of which has any twang-factor whatsoever. Twangy stuff is new to me...

#2 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 18 September 2021 - 13:15

Justin Guitar  (https://www.justinguitar.com/) is highly recommended by the guitar enthusiasts on my ukulele forum.

#3 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2100 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 19 September 2021 - 15:47

Thanks loads, yes, that one looks promising!

#4 Ryan410

Ryan410

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Member: 900998

Posted 12 October 2021 - 03:47

Hi this is Ryan of tonebase. I thought I'd share this article discussing this topic of learning guitar online! Hope you or anyone else who reads this finds it helpful!

https://www.tonebase...g-guitar-online