Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6732 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 21 November 2019 - 21:07

I think I found the same video - the date on it would have been after the time I was searching last time around.  Nice to see a few more versions out there.  I have got my ears, if not my fingers, around the first two movements (so I feel I know how it should sound, even if I can't make it sound like that yet), have to give the third movement a go, though I know that's the 'hard' one.

When I stubmled back upon the Baroque Now recording, one of my first thoughts was 'I have to get elemimele to listen to this' :D :D

#3767 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1282 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 21 November 2019 - 21:56

niiiiiiiice! My only comment is that I truly adore the original Wendy Carlos Moog Bach, so I'm in a slight dilemma about whether adding recorder to that heavenly effect is a good or an unnecessary thing - but whichever way it goes, it's a thing that I'm glad someone tried! Bach's a strange one, because his music more than anyone's seems to do well when used on all sorts of odd instrumental combinations, but nevertheless it's not true (in my opinion) that it neglects the atmosphere of the instrument. It just seems to be open to new interpretations.

I have this theory that musical instruments are like a human life-span. There is a period when a human is very young, that they believe they can do anything, they're fresh and energetic, but often rather lacking in subtlety, which can be charming in itself - and they copy the adults but with completely unique youthful zest, unaware that they're not doing the same thing at all! The synthesiser was definitely at that stage when the famous Bach versions came out. 

Aren't we lucky there is so much lovely stuff out there to explore, both listening and playing?

#3768 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6732 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:25

I do admit to adoring Sky's Toccata

There's a bit with decsending keyboard - 2.07 in the linked video - and if this is ever running in my head, at that point my brain sometimes jumps over to Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.  Which I also adore.  But, it's just telling a story with singing and music; composers of any era are going to recognise that.

Can you tell the influence of Mr Maizie's prog rock teenage years on me?!

#3769 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:43

Can anyone recommend a recorder for a small child? I have a 3 year old who loves recorders. Since the day she was born, she has been exposed to the sounds of a recorder. I am looking at private expensive recorder teachers as well. Where do I find a first beginner recorder for her? What books do I buy? I think it will aid her confidence overall. Many thanks! 

#3770 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1282 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 13:48

at that age, I'd go for the teacher who suits the kid rather than the teacher who matches the instrument. I don't think you can go far wrong with beginner instruments; if you find a local music shop that caters for school classical music (the sort that will have student flutes and clarinets) it is quite certain to sell school aulos and Yamaha descants, which are perfectly respectable instruments, tough, cleanable, and musically good. If you're wedded to wood, which some people are, then they will also sell inexpensive Hoehner wooden descants, about which I know nothing! The see-through plastic ones are also surprisingly good.

Just avoid recorders from non-musical sources, because (amazingly) it is still possible to find ones with non-standard "German" fingering (I got one from The Works, which surprised me).

As for books, sorry, I'm not sure; it's been a while since I had a three-year-old. Good luck!

#3771 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • UK

Posted 22 November 2019 - 16:14

Thanks.

I am going to a music shop tomorrow to look around the place and see. And thanks for the tip! Will bear that in mind when I buy a recorder for her. What do you expect from a teacher? 

#3772 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:54

@thara96 - agree with elemimele over recorders - I'd buy one that appeals to said child and is from a reputable music shop/place. A recorder teacher told me that Sarah Watts was the recorder method in vogue at the moment but I have no idea if it would be suitable for a 3 year old. You'd have to look. But whichever teacher you choose will have opinions in any case so it may be better to wait till you hear what s/he has to say.

@Maizie - I totally approve the choice of Daphne! It's beautiful. We've been listening to Dan Laurin play the whole Van Eyck thing on our way between our two places - we're in the process of moving and it will be a long time before the journeys stop as 'new' house is bordering uninhabitable unless you're a mouse... We've both been in awe. But I've been more in awe about how clever the Van Eyck is in the first place. Daphne is sooo very clever and part of the charm boils down to simplicity -  and how human brains work! Anyway, I couldn't wish you all the best with the new teacher before because although we have steam-driven internet now I'm using iPad and it doesn't 'know' any passwords! But I was going to say that you'll love having a teacher and they'll love assisting on the next part of the journey so you shouldn't 'panic' - even metaphorically! You'll have soooooooo much fun!!!!

#3773 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6732 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 10:24

How did I miss that Piers Adams had gone the baroque/synth route? https://piersadams.c...ide-of-the-moon

#3774 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3205 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 24 November 2019 - 14:53

I have it in my possession, Maizie :wub:
B x

#3775 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6732 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 15:03

Well, so do I now (the download version)  Guess what I'll be listening to on the drive to work tomorrow?

#3776 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1282 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 18:10

Have to say, you get a much better quality of entertainment if you share your traffic jam with a recorder player.

#3777 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • UK

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:47

Thanks anyway! 

#3778 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6732 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 15:45

Well, that was very, very, very much fun.  Two weeks until we meet again (so it can't have been that bad, as setting the date for the next lesson was teacher's idea!), in which time it's the BVW1031 second movement (with me no doubt getting distracted in to twiddly around with the first), the Bigaglia a minor beloved-old-favourite final movement, and Telemann fantasia 7 (first movement, and taking the fast bit sloooowly!)  Getting my fingers moving again is the main objective at the moment!

#3779 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10775 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 26 November 2019 - 17:09

What lovely repertoire, Maizie. :) I know both the Bach and the Telemann in their flute versions, and both are firm favourites of mine. I did have a play through of the F major version of the Bach earlier this year, and when I get chance I'll look at it again.

Sounds like you're going to have fun with your teacher. :D

#3780 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • UK

Posted 26 November 2019 - 21:03

Good luck Maizie!