Love piano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Member: 889299
  • Suffolk

Posted 28 October 2019 - 22:29

Evening everyone, 

I’m in the lovely position of having two students (one adult, one teen) who are both about to sit grade 7 in a few weeks, and barring a disaster on the day, should do well (high merit + I hope). 

They both want to carry on and look at grade 8 next year, but I was thinking it would be good to source them some inter-grade material that would interest and yet stretch them. 

Anyone know of any good complication books that might fit the bill. I can probably suggest Christmas present ideas, but finance is often an issue with these higher grade books. 

They have both already completed several pieces from Classics to Moderns 6, so I’m thinking of other material. 

Would love to hear of people’s thoughts and ideas. 

thanks in anticipation. 

#2 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 28 October 2019 - 22:37

At this level I don't tend to go with collections but encourage people to gradually build up libraries of works.

You can buy many classical sonatas as "single sheets" in the abrsm white cover series. You can also buy fairly inexpensive volumes of Chopin Nocturnes or waltzes, Bach partitas, Debussy works, Grieg lyric pieces, Mendelssohn Songs without words, Schubert impromptus, Brahms Intermezzi, Poulenc etc. That's just very basic standard repertoire but there are lots of other single works available from later composers. If someone has got to this level I find they are generally happy to start investing in repertoire staples.

#3 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3761 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:16

I haven't used Encore grades 7-8 myself but I have found the first two books (1-2) and (3-4) very good for moving between grades. I think the most popular pieces set for exams are used in these books so the pieces do seem attractive.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Grade 8