ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 07 September 2021 - 10:29

Having moved house too many times, I don't consider that we have excess clutter, but even so, stuff just seems to grow!! Have had a good few sort outs over the lockdowns and quite a lot has gone the way of Preloved/Freegle/MusicMagpie and the like. I have a pile of clothes for charity and this weeks discovery is that Oxfam, Shelter, BHF and the like will accept clothes by post! Waiting for some freepost bags from Oxfam but I think I may need more... Half the problem is insufficient storage/suitable furniture (consequence of house moves) which is fixable in the long term now we have no need to move again for the foreseeable. There are definitely paperwork boxes and such that have been moved multiple times and never opened in between. 

Visited parents and in-laws last week and in-laws 'passed on' a few items - they're decluttering too! Delaying tactics on the stuff I still have at parents' house because if I took it now I would not know where to store it.

#17 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5769 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 07 September 2021 - 10:38

To those in despair - set yourself a target of one small bag booted out per week, rewarded each time with a BIG CAKE! Write it on the calendar, then you have taken back control. :)

#18 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7011 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 07 September 2021 - 10:38

Visited parents and in-laws last week and in-laws 'passed on' a few items - they're decluttering too! Delaying tactics on the stuff I still have at parents' house because if I took it now I would not know where to store it.

See! :D This is the problem with grown up children - they like to leave stuff with mum and dad if possible for all sorts of reasons!!  :ninja:

Seriously though, ejw21, I'm full of admiration for someone who moves lots of times, and I do believe that it makes for rather less clutter.  :lol:

#19 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 07 September 2021 - 10:59

Lol thanks! Yes, the question now I'm NOT going to be moving (I need to forget how to pack first!!) is how to avoid incurring more and more stuff. 

#20 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2442 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 07 September 2021 - 11:51

'Clutter is not just physical stuff. It's old ideas, toxic relationships and bad habits. Clutter is anything that does not support your better self' 

Not by me! or Marie Kondo - but Eleanor Brown. 

#21 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1837 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 07 September 2021 - 20:51

See! :D This is the problem with grown up children - they like to leave stuff with mum and dad if possible for all sorts of reasons!! :ninja:
Seriously though, ejw21, I'm full of admiration for someone who moves lots of times, and I do believe that it makes for rather less clutter. :lol:

#22 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1837 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 07 September 2021 - 21:05

Somehow posted before I wrote!
In my cluttered experience moving only makes for less clutter if you actually declutter before the movers turn up. They swoop in and gather up absolutely everything into the trucks and transport it helpfully half way across Europe. Just so you can clutter up all that waiting empty space.
And unfortunately charity shops are much rarer here ...

#23 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8750 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 07 September 2021 - 21:12

To those in despair - set yourself a target of one small bag booted out per week, rewarded each time with a BIG CAKE! Write it on the calendar, then you have taken back control. :)

The enormous majority of my clutter would not go anywhere near a small bag! I need a small lorry. Actually I think I need a large lorry. Added to which, most of it belongs to my partner who for more than 30 years has thrown nothing away - or so it seems. I keep slogging away at it - remember the Disney Sorceror's Apprentice? And Norway - I'm trying to give up cake - my sugar level is too high!

#24 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20583 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 07 September 2021 - 21:28

Somehow posted before I wrote!
In my cluttered experience moving only makes for less clutter if you actually declutter before the movers turn up. They swoop in and gather up absolutely everything into the trucks and transport it helpfully half way across Europe. Just so you can clutter up all that waiting empty space.
… ...

Oh yes. Memories of moving country with a baby - and the used nappy that turned up at the other end. 

#25 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15221 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 07 September 2021 - 22:54

This thread has reminded me of one of my all-time favourite passages, from one of my all-time favourite books:

'George comes out really quite sensible at times. You'd be surprised. I call that downright wisdom, not merely as regards the present case, but with reference to our trip up the river of life, generally. How many people, on that voyage, load up the boat till it is ever in danger of swamping with a store of foolish things which they think essential to the pleasure and comfort of the trip, but which are really only useless lumber.

How they pile the poor little craft mast-high with fine clothes and big houses; with useless servants, and a host of swell friends that do not care twopence for them, and that they do not care three ha'pence for; with expensive entertainments that nobody enjoys, with formalities and fashions, with pretence and ostentation, and with - oh, heaviest, maddest lumber of all! - the dread of what will my neighbour think, with luxuries that only cloy, with pleasures that bore, with empty show that, like the criminal's iron crown of yore, makes to bleed and swoon the aching head that wears it!

It is lumber, man - all lumber! Throw it overboard. It makes the boat so heavy to pull, you nearly faint at the oars. It makes it so cumbersome and dangerous to manage, you never know a moment's freedom from anxiety and care, never gain a moment's rest for dreamy laziness - no time to watch the windy shadows skimming lightly o'er the shallows, or the glittering sunbeams flitting in and out among the ripples, or the great trees by the margin looking down at their own image, or the woods all green and golden, or the lilies white and yellow, or the sombre-waving rushes, or the sedges, or the orchis, or the blue forget-me-nots.

Throw the lumber over, man! Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends, worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing.'

:wub: :wub: :wub:

#26 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 08 September 2021 - 00:09

"Three Men in a Boat." One of my favourites too.

#27 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5769 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 16:50

What's great is that there are many people around who will take anything off your hands as long as it's free. :)

#28 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 09 September 2021 - 14:38

Indeed.  Sometimes it's timing as well. I had a few furniture items on Preloved (for free), no interest, and this week finally got around to trying my local Freegle group. Gone in 24 hours! 

#29 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5769 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 16:20

Seriously, if I find one more pack of slides.... :headdesk:

#30 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5769 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 18:35

Yippee! Distant relative actually wants the trillion old family photos which are clogging up the loft. :woot: