Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3205 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:32

Delighted for you, Scoob.

My happy was singing last night as one of the Staff Choir in a gig at my bestest skool.  Altogether the vibe was great and the kids were spellbound by these old ladies getting up there and giving it some (unaccompanied).

Bloomin' well done in now.  Had a VERY long day including an extra Grade 8 aural-bashing stint AND covering for a sick colleague.

Have already had a preliminary glass of something suitable....

Bath time now :)

Bubble-Bag x

#16067 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3363 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 19 June 2014 - 22:42

I was given a lovely bunch of flowers by my choir tonight, as a thank you for conducting them at the music festival. Unfortunately they then insisted on singing through all the competition songs, when I was fed up hearing them.... I really thought they would want to do something new.

#16068 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6732 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:26

Substantially more money in my pay packet than usual!  Have looked up pay slip, and it turns out to be the 'recognition award' for the project that I've been on for years that finally finished.  Looks like my boss forgot to tell me it was coming :rolleyes: (no surprise there - I was at a cross-department meeting the other week, and after it I got to say to him that it was interesting to see my name up on one of the slides as a subject matter expert for a forthcoming system; first I'd heard of it!)

Now, what to do with it?

(I do not need a great bass, I do not need a great bass, I do not need a great bass, I do not need a great bass...)

#16069 Roseau

Roseau

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6797 posts
  • Member: 6007
  • France

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:47

Now, what to do with it?
(I do not need a great bass, I do not need a great bass, I do not need a great bass, I do not need a great bass...)

Of course you need a great bass  :)

#16070 GMc

GMc

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Member: 322722

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:12

Wow, how nice to be appreciated (the choir) and have such a good performance.   And that's a great uni result - a 2:1 and a job.  Raise a glass to a job well done there.

I think that was very brave to take on the organ.  I can assure you I would not have been fiddling with the stops either - or the pedals!  And I used to tinker on an organ occasionally at the end of brothers lessons when I was about 8.

#16071 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6582 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 20 June 2014 - 15:37

Surviving thus far (4.30ish) having accomplished all I set out to do today, in spite of:

a) traffic jam on M25

b) funeral cortege (with horse drawn hearse) and all accompanying cars totally blocking the road, and I mean totally so that I had to go round the block and go in the other end of the road, to retrieve my mother from her care home to go to the dentist - and we made it on time.  (I had to reverse out of the road to continue to dentist's)

c) in attempt to avoid the traffic jam I then got caught behind a bus along the country lanes.

Am lying on sofa in darkened room with a cool drink! :o

#16072 recorderplayer

recorderplayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Member: 888370

Posted 20 June 2014 - 16:29

It's sunny, I have a 3 days weekend and I finally succeeded in playing a top F# on the treble.

#16073 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 21 June 2014 - 21:29

Looking out of the window at 22.30 and still seeing some light in the sky :)

#16074 soccermom

soccermom

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts
  • Member: 9005
  • South West Surrey

Posted 21 June 2014 - 21:30

My son had his degree result - 2:1 in Maths from Cambridge. We're very happy and proud of him. It's been quite an uphill struggle at times, and now it's all over and he can relax and look forward to starting his job in September. 

Phew, one sorted, two to go!

Well done him - and for the job for September!

#16075 Barry Toner

Barry Toner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Member: 305160
  • Devon

Posted 21 June 2014 - 21:57

Just back from singing in a concert tonight.  Lassus Missa Bell Amritrit Altera, couple of classical bits (Mozart and Haydn) and Bruckner Mass in E minor.  It all went quite well, but the Bruckner is a beast of a sing, particularly the Agnus Dei, which has many intervals of more than an octave.  Sopranos are given a top Bb and many top As, Basses (both first and second) need to range between top F and bottom Eb.  It is a huge work and my voice is done in tonight, luckily with a lie-in tomorrow morning. 

#16076 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6002 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 21 June 2014 - 23:20

Hmmm - 22.30 here still seems like daylight!  :sun:

It's the longest day today (or at least it was 20 minutes ago) and it doesn't get completely dark at all.  We make up for it in the winter, though!  :wacko:

#16077 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6195 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 21 June 2014 - 23:23

Just back from singing in a concert tonight.  Lassus Missa Bell Amritrit Altera, couple of classical bits (Mozart and Haydn) and Bruckner Mass in E minor.  It all went quite well, but the Bruckner is a beast of a sing, particularly the Agnus Dei, which has many intervals of more than an octave.  Sopranos are given a top Bb and many top As, Basses (both first and second) need to range between top F and bottom Eb.  It is a huge work and my voice is done in tonight, luckily with a lie-in tomorrow morning. 

I have sung both the Lassus and the Bruckner. I did theLassus at an early music workshop and the Bruckner we did with the choral society about 10 years ago.

#16078 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3363 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:40

Hmmm - 22.30 here still seems like daylight!  :sun:

It's the longest day today (or at least it was 20 minutes ago) and it doesn't get completely dark at all.  We make up for it in the winter, though!  :wacko:

I miss Scotland.... :(

I always try and make the most of midsummer in the south, as the "late" nights don't last more than a few weeks.

#16079 Ilewydh

Ilewydh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Member: 665504
  • South West

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:50

Actually yesterday but a bit of band contesting in the glorious sunshine.

Left before the results so don't know where we came but we played well, had fun and the MD was happy so good enough for me :-)

#16080 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1916 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 22 June 2014 - 13:54

Just got back from a lovely time playing at a village gala.  Lovely sunny day, lots of people and things happening, and we had a nice audience.  Couldn't ask for better!

Oh and I thought I should support the organisers by buying one their homemade cakes :D