2013 is almost over, so I thought I would set personal goals for the 2014. As many of us know, most new year resolutions fail by the third week of January!
To avoid that, I have decided to publicly announce my musical goals for 2014 in this forum. This way I would try a little bit harder!
My musical goals for 2014 are:
1. Learn FOUR full works for Clarinet - it could be anything (concertos, sonatas, trios, quartets etc.) as long as I could play it cover to cover at an acceptable tempo with sufficient musicality (Grade 7). I am thinking of Weber variations, Finzi Bagatelles and two other works (yet to decide!).
2. Learn to play ALL major, minor scales and arpeggios at least at Andante tempo.
3. Learn trill and alternate fingerings (for better intonation) for all the notes between Low E to top G (fourth G).
4. Attend at least THREE forum events or festivals (to improve my public playing).
5. Spend at least 280 hours of DELIBERATE practice (7 hours x 40 Weeks!)
These are my goals and now I have to follow it through!!
I invite all of you to set your own goals and declare them here! I will resurrect the thread in June 2014 for a "mid year review" and then again in Dec 2014 to see how many of our goals have been met!
All the best!