Photo

As The Next Theory Exam Fast Approaches....

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Car Expert

Car Expert

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31653 posts
  • Member: 3680
  • UK - rural North Norfolk\East Anglia. Lincoln 104 miles. Ipswich 66 miles. Oxford 193 miles. Lewes 199 miles.

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:08

QUOTE(muse @ Dec 21 2007, 11:05 AM) View Post
Just wondering, I know your not allowed to bring any notes with you or representations of the keyboard etc, but are you allowed to write down in your notes, keyboards, key signatures to help you during the test?
Yes smile.gif

Car Expert

#17 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6732 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:12

Just wondering, I know your not allowed to bring any notes with you or representations of the keyboard etc, but are you allowed to write down in your notes, keyboards, key signatures to help you during the test?

You'll be provided with some blank manuscript paper which you can write things on (in my limited experience it's manuscript on one side and plain on the other). You can scribble anything you like on there, it doesn't get marked. DON'T take your own blank paper with you!

#18 eldatom

eldatom

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2544 posts
  • Member: 17801

Posted 21 December 2007 - 14:27

QUOTE(Car Expert @ Dec 21 2007, 11:08 AM) View Post

Yes smile.gif

Car Expert

I always write out myself a keyboard before I start so I have something to work on. Some books tell you to write out the circle of 5ths too.

#19 Sheila Joynes

Sheila Joynes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Member: 11778
  • Worcestershire

Posted 17 February 2008 - 13:40

QUOTE(Maizie @ Dec 21 2007, 01:12 PM) View Post

You'll be provided with some blank manuscript paper which you can write things on (in my limited experience it's manuscript on one side and plain on the other). You can scribble anything you like on there, it doesn't get marked. DON'T take your own blank paper with you!

I always give my pupils a list of things to write down (on the blank paper given to them) when the exam begins BEFORE they do anything else. It varies according to which grade they are taking but things like;

draw a keyboard
write a list of key signatures
write a list of intervals

...that way you can refer to your notes rather than have to think through them every time.

#20 Oboecop

Oboecop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Member: 26480

Posted 02 June 2008 - 17:06

QUOTE(DJONES @ Oct 25 2006, 12:06 PM) View Post

Hello everyone

As the next theory exam fast approaches and having recently spoken to some of the Board's senior markers, I thought you might like a few tips.... It's aimed mainly at candidates and whilst some of the following suggestions may be obvious they are not in any way intended to sound patronising!!

1. Answer all the questions! Even if you don't know the answer, guess - you may just be right and gain extra marks, something which won't happen if you leave the space blank....

2. Take your time and read the questions CAREFULLY!! What direction should those scales be written in and using what note values? Is that E major or Eb that you've been asked to write? Underline/highlight the important words in the rubrics, if it helps you. Don't be in a hurry to finish first - use your time wisely and check those answers and check again!

3. Marks will be deducted for poorly written clefs, key signatures etc.... Don't add those accidentals in the wrong space or on the wrong line of the stave, above the note or below it!

4. Rhythm writing: make sure those bars all add up correctly - there's quite a bit of emphasis on that!

5. Melody writing: as well as making sure those bars add up, don't forget the instrument, tempo, dynamics and articulation. If you're going to use pizz and/or arco, make sure you know how to use them properly!

6. If you're rewriting a melody at a different octave, the time values won't change, so copy them carefully! Similarly, if you're rewriting in half/twice the value, the pitches will be the same.

7. Transposition: make sure you've kept to the same interval of transposition throughout - for example don't switch from a second down to a third half way through! In the high grade orchestral score extracts, if you're not sure of the interval, compare your answer with that of a non-transposing instrument such as violin - if they don't fit tonally then something might be wrong!

That's just a few of the places where marks are lost, and you would be very surprised if you realised just how many marks do disappear.... Markers tell me how depressing it is when a paper has to fail primarily for these reasons. They'd much rather see you pass!

Good luck to all those of you taking exams over the next week. smile.gif

Debbie

Add to that - make sure your in the right clef when transposing I lost all the marks for a question which would have been completely right had I been in treble clef. Oops!

#21 ilovemycello

ilovemycello

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Member: 55117
  • Birmingham

Posted 09 February 2009 - 17:44

Thanks so much! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#22 amybalcomb

amybalcomb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Member: 42964

Posted 05 April 2010 - 13:23

QUOTE(Sheila Joynes @ Feb 17 2008, 02:40 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Maizie @ Dec 21 2007, 01:12 PM) View Post

I always give my pupils a list of things to write down (on the blank paper given to them) when the exam begins BEFORE they do anything else. It varies according to which grade they are taking but things like;

draw a keyboard
write a list of key signatures
write a list of intervals

...that way you can refer to your notes rather than have to think through them every time.

Hi Sheila

Would you have any further tips for someone starting to self-teach themselves the Grade VI syllabus in order to sit it in June?!

#23 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:04

Good luck to everyone with theory exams tomorrow! smile.gif

#24 amybalcomb

amybalcomb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Member: 42964

Posted 21 October 2011 - 14:35

Unrelated musical question.
Exam conditions I realise will apply. Does this mean we are not allowed a bottle of water?
I tend to get a cough when nervous and like to have water just in case!
I understand mobiles are not allowed for obvious reasons, and taking your own blank paper also but it would be useful to know!
Thanks

#25 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 21 October 2011 - 14:38

I had water and a snack... with quiet wrapping.
They might want it to be in a sport style bottle to avoid spills.