Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 28 July 2019 - 05:58

I was thinking of making some kind of "trumpet" out of plastic plumber's piping, just to experiment with overtones.

Like a natural (as opposed to valved French) horn or a straight version of it (Roman tuba) or an alpine horn.

Has anyone done anything like that? Presumably there's an optimum diameter and length?

This might be useful: https://en.wikipedia...n_and_qualities

#2 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6701 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:47

Well, the at the 1956 iteration of the Hoffnung music festival, Dennis Brain played Leopold Mozart's Concerto for Hose-pipe and Strings.  It's a shame there's no video.

But here is a chap from the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment showing you how to make a horn from your garden hose...

#3 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • London

Posted 28 July 2019 - 09:45

Thanks, Maizie, nice video!

I vaguely thought before dawn this morning, that experimentation might be fun, but I should have known it has all been done already.

It would basically just be learning the French horn, as if I didn't already have too much on my plate!

#4 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6701 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 28 July 2019 - 15:29

Well, just because it's been done already, doesn't mean you can't have fun doing it for yourself!

#5 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • London

Posted 28 July 2019 - 16:55

True, and I can cut a 15m hose into 4m, 5m and 6m lengths conveniently. I'm not sure what mouthpiece to buy though, trumpet, cornet or french horn? Did the video say? I didn't watch all of it.

#6 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6133 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 29 July 2019 - 18:22

True, and I can cut a 15m hose into 4m, 5m and 6m lengths conveniently. I'm not sure what mouthpiece to buy though, trumpet, cornet or french horn? Did the video say? I didn't watch all of it.

I'd check what the diameter of the hose is and compare with the bore and length of the instrument you want to emulate. Then buy that mouthpiece.

#7 JimD

JimD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Member: 159407
  • Washington UK

Posted 31 July 2019 - 18:58

Re mouthpieces, bear in mind that a trumpet has a cylindrical bore and the mouthpiece (internal) taper might reflect that. Both cornet and french horn have conical bores. A hosepipe with a funnel on the end is cylindrical. 

Deep cups need a stronger embouchure to use successfully but give a bigger sound (all other things being equal).

I doubt if it's critical though.

#8 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from Rhubarb Triangle Yorkshire

Posted 01 August 2019 - 20:12

Excellent video. I've wanted to make a trumpet from a hose pipe for some time but never got around to it. Nor would it be allowed inside the house. I have permission to acquire a brass instrument on the understanding that any practice would have to be conducted in the garden shed. Incidentally does it take much physical effort to blow a trumpet/cornet /horn ? My lung function was still pretty good last time it was tested but I am slightly worried that the physical effort would spoil my enjoyment...not as gentile as laying fingers on a piano keyboard.

#9 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • London

Posted 02 August 2019 - 05:52

I have permission to acquire a brass instrument on the understanding that any practice would have to be conducted in the garden shed.

Lol. My other half bought me a didgeridoo once on condition that she never hear it!

#10 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6133 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 06 August 2019 - 14:45

Incidentally does it take much physical effort to blow a trumpet/cornet /horn ? My lung function was still pretty good last time it was tested but I am slightly worried that the physical effort would spoil my enjoyment...not as gentile as laying fingers on a piano keyboard.

I'm female and not physically very large and have played horn in Mahler's 5th symphony, so it's definitely manageable. I can still shout very loudly for my size

#11 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • London

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:34

I have permission to acquire a brass instrument on the understanding that any practice would have to be conducted in the garden shed.

Lol. My other half bought me a didgeridoo once on condition that she never hear it!

Lol. We were at a garden centre this weekend and I was fondly eyeing-up the hosepipes. She told me to get a move on. I didn't dare tell her what I was thinking of!

#12 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:54

We have various lengths of hosepipe dotted around the house, and a collection of funnels. I bought some cheap plastic brass mouthpieces off amazon and they work ok. You just need to make sure no air escapes.

The bigger the funnel, the better the sound, but there’s a limit to what will fit down the hosepipe without splitting it.

#13 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • London

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:06

Since I started this thread I bought an alphorn CD. In fact it's two discs, which is kind of overkill, lol. I just finished listening to it.

Sure enough it's everything up to and including the 12th overtone, which takes us as far as Do, re, mi, (sharp) fa, sol, and no chance of variation!

#14 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from Rhubarb Triangle Yorkshire

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:32

We have various lengths of hosepipe dotted around the house, and a collection of funnels. I bought some cheap plastic brass mouthpieces off amazon and they work ok. You just need to make sure no air escapes.

The bigger the funnel, the better the sound, but there’s a limit to what will fit down the hosepipe without splitting it.

The mouthpiece has been my stumbling block so thanks for the idea of buying a cheap one. I asked my brother to turn one on his lathe but he seems to have forgotten and I've wondered if I can make one from wood.

#15 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 08 August 2019 - 15:38

[quote name="
The mouthpiece has been my stumbling block so thanks for the idea of buying a cheap one. I asked my brother to turn one on his lathe but he seems to have forgotten and I've wondered if I can make one from wood.[/quote]

If you try making your own make sure the bore is wide enough. Or you could try out various hosepipe attachments that might function as a mouthpiece. Ours all have spiders in them and no one wants to blow down them.