sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 01 January 2016 - 16:56

New Year's Day and we have had some unexpected bad news.  :( Worried.

Sorry to hear this. Hope it all sorts out.  :thereThere:

Hope you are ok. 

#17177 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 02 January 2016 - 00:01

:thereThere: Misterioso.

#17178 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7896 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 03 January 2016 - 19:51

Hope you are OK Misterioso.

I have just discovered that I am expected to revamp our Christmas celebration for the local retirement home. This is not a good idea. It will be well nigh impossible to arouse the children's enthusaiams for a second performance after Christmas, after the holiday, just as we are all winding down from Christmas and preparing mentally to get back to basics in music and English lessons. I am faced with having to work with 70 children aged from three to eleven  in a room I have never seen. I don't know if there is a sound system or where the electrical plugs are or what the acoustic is like I have no idea how much space we will have. When I asked if I could join the the head teacher on the preliminary visit she is making the answer was no because she is going Wednesday afternoon when I am teaching. piano; We have to cart all the stage accessories and everything we need for the music to this other site. It was the brainwave of the Parish Priest who obviously has no idea about the logistics involved. The rest of the staff don't really seem to realise either.

I have said that I am all for creating links with the retirement home but why didn't they ask me, the producer, first? I would have suggested aan alternative - like preparing a smaller group of the older children to give a simple programme, say at Easter, as a start. when I asked the simple question "Where will they leave their 70 coats, scarves, gloves, hats etc there didn't seem to be a solution. They can, of course leave them in the coach but goodness knows how close we can park and rain is forecast for Friday. My Christmas holiday has been a bit dull and sad with my partner ill and this has really ruined the last weekend.

I went into school yesterday and packed as much as I could in large plastic  carrying boxes and I have said that no way am I moving my stage piano  and half a dozen music stands so the first instrumental item (piano and recorders) will have to be cut. I expect they will think I am jusy being grumpy but really I do think they could have discussed it with me first!

#17179 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3786 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 03 January 2016 - 21:53

I have pulled a muscle this evening playing squash and whenever I try to walk I get intermittent twinges of pain as well as well as when I try and bend down.

#17180 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6221 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 03 January 2016 - 22:15

I have pulled a muscle this evening playing squash and whenever I try to walk I get intermittent twinges of pain as well as well as when I try and bend down.

Been there... Try alternating hot and cold on the affected area.I have a wheat pillow that you put in the microwave for one minute then place it over the area for about 5 minutes. Then use an ice pack (pack of frozen peas will do) wrapped in a tea-towel for 5 minutes. Repeat. And repeat process several times a day if possible. The hot helps stimulate blood flow to affected area and the cold helps reduce swelling/inflamation. If you have access to a steam room or sauna, they can help.

#17181 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 03 January 2016 - 22:30

Aquarelle, would it be easier to bus in the oldies to the school to watch the production there?

#17182 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 03 January 2016 - 22:32

:thereThere: Aquarelle.   Why don't the 'powers that be' ever THINK to ask the person who's actually DOING the whatever-it-is???

Do hope it goes OK - or that you can persuade the PTB to change their minds!

:)

#17183 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3786 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 03 January 2016 - 22:47

Been there... Try alternating hot and cold on the affected area.I have a wheat pillow that you put in the microwave for one minute then place it over the area for about 5 minutes. Then use an ice pack (pack of frozen peas will do) wrapped in a tea-towel for 5 minutes. Repeat. And repeat process several times a day if possible. The hot helps stimulate blood flow to affected area and the cold helps reduce swelling/inflamation. If you have access to a steam room or sauna, they can help.

I don't have any of these things and I despise saunas. I was hoping that that it would naturally sort it self out within a couple of days and some painkillers (when I buy some as I am out of stock in my medicine box) would keep me mobile until then. I think I may have to pass on work tomorrow as I can't see myself making the commute in my current state and working from home is a no no as my work laptop is in the office.

#17184 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7896 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:55

Aquarelle, would it be easier to bus in the oldies to the school to watch the production there?

Unfortunately French schools don't have school halls. When we did the celebration for the parents we did it in what is called the "salle d'études" of the collège/lycée on the same site as the primary school.Tthis is the largest room available. But to use it we have to ask the lycéee to alter their timetable so that they don't use that room for an afternoon, Then we have to move out the 60 odd tables the students use when studying and arrange the chairs and get the lycée odd job man to fit up the sound system. We also need the adjacent classroom which is one of their computer rooms to storeaccessories and to house the children while the audience arrive. so that means another timetable change for the classes who would be having computer studies that day. They will do this for us once a year in the last week of the Christmas term but we can'"t ask them to do it again at the beginning of the winter term.

This lack of school halls is an enormous brake on the social and community life of schools in France. There is just no where to do a school play, have a school concert, run any kind of indoor activity  which requires large space. The little town where I work does not even have any premises equivalent to a village hall. Some villages do (I use one for my own private teaching end of year event), but even so it means having to move everything off site.

I fondly remember those big old Victorian buildings I taught in in London - a hall on every floor!

#17185 Witzend

Witzend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Member: 892899
  • Kingston on Thames

Posted 06 January 2016 - 18:19

Went mad yesterday and ordered online a McLaren pushchair for my granddaughter, since I'm due to look after her one day a week soon, and I hate the damn great orrible cumbersome Bugab*gg*r thing my daughter uses.

Picked it up this afternoon from Boots, and guess what, today it's on special offer, online only, 10% off...

#17186 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6749 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 06 January 2016 - 21:09

ABS control unit has gone on my car (went a few days ago - my mechanic has had a devil of a time getting the diagnostics computer to diagnose it because, guess what, t's the computery control unit bit that the diagnostic machine want to talk to that has broken!)

Replacement part from the manufacturer - £850+VAT

Value of car - well, none really, right now.  But value before this broke - maybe £750 with good lighting and a sympathetic, short-sighted buyer...

Repair of existing broken bit would probably be half the cost - but mechanic is going to find out what sort of guarantee comes with it as he has had a bad experience of repairs to ABS control units in the past.

#17187 Ilewydh

Ilewydh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Member: 665504
  • South West

Posted 06 January 2016 - 21:28

ABS control unit has gone on my car (went a few days ago - my mechanic has had a devil of a time getting the diagnostics computer to diagnose it because, guess what, t's the computery control unit bit that the diagnostic machine want to talk to that has broken!)

Replacement part from the manufacturer - £850+VAT
Value of car - well, none really, right now.  But value before this broke - maybe £750 with good lighting and a sympathetic, short-sighted buyer...

Repair of existing broken bit would probably be half the cost - but mechanic is going to find out what sort of guarantee comes with it as he has had a bad experience of repairs to ABS control units in the past.

Mr Ilewydh has recommended BBA reman as they have a lifetime warranty and he's never had one come back that doesn't work, if that helps at all :)

#17188 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6749 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:57

Thank you, that's useful to know - my mechanic is having to try a new place because of the disaster when he last had one of these units repaired and how his previous go-to-guys treated the situation.

It kind of compounded itself in to an extra argh, because I was trying to convince myself it shouldn't be an argh because I'm in the luxurious position of being able to afford it.  Mr Maizie helped me see the light that things are allowed to be annoying even if they don't have major effects (e.g. in the past this might have been get the car fixed but lose one holiday from the year).

#17189 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7896 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 13:11

I am rarely depressed but this morning I am walking about with a sour expression and I feel as if I am carry ten tons of putty around. My partner has now been in bed ill for five and a half months. I can manage the tiredness - I just try to eat sensibly and rest when I can. But I can't always manage the emotional side of it. I am currently trying hard to muster up the enthusiasm I am going to need tomorrow afternoon. As I said above we are (against my advice) re- performing the Christmas Celebration for the residents of the local retirement home. Now I know perfectly well i should be looking forward to bringing a bit of cheer to these people but I simply don't feel up to it  Our own Christmas and New Year were pretty dull affairs - sad even - this year and I just am not psychologically  keyed up for whipping up a second school performance. I just want to put Christmas away and get on with normal lessons. All I can think of is that at least after tomorrow it will be over;

I did manage a quick visit yesterday morning between piano lessons.to see what the room was like. No one had thought I might find it difficult to manage and direct   70 three to eleven year olds in a room I didn't know with no previous info about the possibility of a  sound system or plugs or where to set everything 

up.  I had no idea how much space we would have for the mime and the dance, nor how we would seat the choir. Anyone with primary school experience will know you just can't arrive with the whole school and sort it all on the spot. The head teacher had arranged a visit with the person in charge of entertainment but at a time when I couldn't go. Anyway one of the nursery assistants has a mother in the retirement home and she offered to show me round. So at least I now know that my decision not to take the stage piano was justified. Actually I found the visit very depressing - all these elderly people sitting in chairs in lines while one care assistant went round seeing to their various needs. Some of them were shouting at her because they had to wait their turn. There was nothing homely about it. 

So I suppose I ought to be keen to bring a bit of cheer into their day tomorrow. But somehow I can't get rid of this feeling of heaviness. I'm just not used to depression.. I just hope it will have gone by tomorrow. 

#17190 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6612 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 07 January 2016 - 14:21

So I suppose I ought to be keen to bring a bit of cheer into their day tomorrow. But somehow I can't get rid of this feeling of heaviness. I'm just not used to depression.. I just hope it will have gone by tomorrow. 

I can completely understand your feelings Aquarelle and send sympathy over the airwaves.

My mother is in a carehome here in the UK and I know how much the residents value the good cheer that a visiting group brings.  It brightens their day no end, and particularly Christmas type things where they can relate to what is going on.  When the carol singers come to my mother's care home, everyone joins in - even those far gone in dementia, - and it taps into some far away memory that they still have and they can sing along or tap their feet.

I am sorry you had a difficult and quite sad Christmas yourself, and I can see that both you and the children probably want to move on, but I'm sure that your efforts will be appreciated by the residents and their families (I know I am pleased when other people visit my mother, and she has activities to join in). 

Good luck and I hope you feel better over the weekend.  :grouphug: