Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Member: 274862
  • Warwickshire

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:17

Hello!

2013 is almost over, so I thought I would set personal goals for the 2014. As many of us know, most new year resolutions fail by the third week of January!

To avoid that, I have decided to publicly announce my musical goals for 2014 in this forum. This way I would try a little bit harder!

My musical goals for 2014 are:

1. Learn FOUR full works for Clarinet - it could be anything (concertos, sonatas, trios, quartets etc.) as long as I could play it cover to cover at an acceptable tempo with sufficient musicality (Grade 7). I am thinking of Weber variations, Finzi Bagatelles and two other works (yet to decide!).

2. Learn to play ALL major, minor scales and arpeggios at least at Andante tempo.

3. Learn trill and alternate fingerings (for better intonation) for all the notes between Low E to top G (fourth G).

4. Attend at least THREE forum events or festivals (to improve my public playing).

5. Spend at least 280 hours of DELIBERATE practice (7 hours x 40 Weeks!)

These are my goals and now I have to follow it through!!

I invite all of you to set your own goals and declare them here! I will resurrect the thread in June 2014 for a "mid year review" and then again in Dec 2014 to see how many of our goals have been met!

All the best!

#2 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2853 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:29

Mine is negative. Never to say yes to requests for accompanying from stupid useless local school! Enough said. And to learn a second song on my banjo.

#3 BitterSweet

BitterSweet

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Member: 37220
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 20 December 2013 - 13:46

To actually manage to find some time to practice?

My goal is to be heading comfortably towards a grade 5 ish level in piano by the end of the year, and to have figured out my next moves with singing. It's fairly likely to be a MT diploma...

#4 allypally

allypally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Member: 771130
  • Greater London

Posted 20 December 2013 - 15:50

1. Take grade 7 piano in summer session and get a respectable mark (more than 107 I got for gr 6)

2. In order to achieve above ensure I do at least 5 hours of purposeful organised practice and find a way of identifying modulations to dominant and sub-dominant

3. Continue working on technique, thereby developing confidence and hopefully diminishing performance anxiety

4. Learn the 1st two movements of Mozart sonata K279 (3rd one is grade 7 A list piece)

5. Accompany daughter for next cello exam (if she wants to do one and if she wants me to)

So not much then!

:D  :niceThread:

#5 Deborah

Deborah

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5861 posts
  • Member: 2747
  • Monsalvat, Valhalla

Posted 20 December 2013 - 18:27

To earn enough money to carry on funding the music habit, including some lessons, with a view to sitting my LTCL eventually.  :ninja: 

#6 lubylu

lubylu

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1285 posts
  • Member: 522569
  • Dorset

Posted 20 December 2013 - 18:40

Oooo, Balu, a Personal Development Plan for music! Good idea!! Your PDP is very SMART, I'm impressed.

Here's mine
1. Develop consistent, good quality vibrato which I can use expressively in pieces.
2. Find as many performance opportunities as possible both for myself and my cello ensemble
3. Attend at least 2 Benslow courses plus a variety of one day workshops.
4. Work through the pieces on both ABRSM and Trinity grade 7 lists which I have not played already plus learn all scales etc for same grade.
5. Arrange some more pieces for cello ensemble and aim to include these in performances.

That will do for now!

#7 anacrusis

anacrusis

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5516 posts
  • Member: 4852
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 20 December 2013 - 22:16

To earn enough money to carry on funding the music habit, including some lessons, with a view to sitting my LTCL eventually.  :ninja:

:woot: I like that :D

and in my case, to start working at more advanced repertoire again. I will only have a year and five months to get myself up to concerto playing standard, not sure if I can manage it, but would like to do at least Brandenburg 4 again, and hopefully one of the Vivaldis, maybe also some Bach or Hotteterre on the voice flute. It'd be most cool of all if I could learn some avant-garde stuff by heart, but that one's a very scary prospect: Stockhausen's "in Freundschaft" is the one I have my eye on. I turn 50 in 2015, so the aim for next year is more preparation for the next again year.

#8 Pixie*Porsche

Pixie*Porsche

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • Member: 6685

Posted 20 December 2013 - 23:01

1. To pass the first 60 credits of my Music degree.

I will be back with more goals soon. :)

#9 Deborah

Deborah

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5861 posts
  • Monsalvat, Valhalla

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:28

:woot: I like that :D

You weren't supposed to actually read it... :unsure:

#10 katyjay

katyjay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16351 posts
  • Member: 275
  • North Surrey

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:57

Bristol, Egham, hopefully Chester, and Stalybridge Adult Learner concerts.

Tidy the bombsite that is my music room at the end of a gruelling term.  

Sort out storage and decide if I need more shelves/cupboards.

Finish the current OU module and do one more module to ensure I get an ordinary degree.

Decide if it's worth doing another module in 2015 to make it an honours degree in musical subjects.

Start planning and data-gathering for eventual attempt at LRSM (Teaching).  

Keep website up to date, and expand pupil base, but only as far as I can comfortably teach.

Get to at least one masterclass and one holiday course in music.

Doing some practice from time to time might be a good idea too....

#11 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6176 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 21 December 2013 - 14:10

Keep doing what I'm doing as it seems to be working, for my own definition of working. I'm not in a hurry. The year has been an utter writeoff in some respects but at least music was not one of them. 

#12 Violalala

Violalala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Member: 322745
  • Guernsey

Posted 21 December 2013 - 14:56

Lovely thread. I will pass grade 6 theory, join my local choral society orchestra (desperate for this one)  and approach grade 7 standard playing on violin. And continue messing about with recorders, drummng and folk sessions, but no great drive to improve those ones; just continue to enjoy it. Good luck everyone!

#13 Deborah

Deborah

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5861 posts
  • Monsalvat, Valhalla

Posted 21 December 2013 - 15:11

Doing some practice from time to time might be a good idea too....

But... but... that's CHEATING!

#14 balu114

balu114

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Member: 274862
  • Warwickshire

Posted 21 December 2013 - 19:14

Oooo, Balu, a Personal Development Plan for music! Good idea!! Your PDP is very SMART, I'm impressed.

Thank you, Lubylu! Well spotted, it is SMART :) .... although I didn't want to use words like SMART or PDP etc as I didn't want to attract certain negative comments :ninja:

Anyway, thank you all for the nice comments!! I am looking forward to see more declarations.....

#15 lubylu

lubylu

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1285 posts
  • Member: 522569
  • Dorset

Posted 21 December 2013 - 19:38

Ooooops, maybe I shouldn't have pointed that out then! Personally I like SMART, use it all the time at work and find it very useful for supervising junior doctors. But don't want to get into that debate on this thread!!

It was much more fun doing this for music than for work!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2014, New year, resolutions