Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Member: 37220
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:12

QUOTE(violingeek @ Mar 7 2013, 12:07 PM) View Post

Great, I've just had a look at the marking criteria and I'm off to go get the books. I'm going to go get the Theory Workbooks for Grade 6 and 7. Not sure how fast I'll take to work through them so don't know if I should get 8 too.

I would actually recommend just getting the 6 and working through that, and then getting the 7.

Would the Theory workbooks and past exam papers be sufficient? According to my teacher, this should be enough, but she highly encourages me to try getting the Harmony in Practice book if I can afford it because it's really expensive.

You're better off buying just the Grade 6 book and the Harmony in Practice, than grade 6 and 7 workbooks if money is tight. I did Grade 6 with just the Theory workbooks and past papers, but I wish I'd got Harmony in Practice first and worked on that before buying the stuff specifically for Grade 6.

Would I need the AB Guide to Music theory for all the general knowledge questions?

I would recommend it as it has everything you need to know in it as a reference. It's especially useful for terms and expressions, and musical instruments.

#17 JudithJ

JudithJ

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1510 posts
  • Member: 3307

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:45

One day someone will write a book that really takes you from Grade 5 to Grade 6. They'd make a fortune.

#18 BitterSweet

BitterSweet

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:45

QUOTE(JudithJ @ Mar 8 2013, 01:45 AM) View Post

One day someone will write a book that really takes you from Grade 5 to Grade 6. They'd make a fortune.

Probably likely to happen sooner than the ABRSM re-working their theory syllabus so there's a better progression.

#19 JudithJ

JudithJ

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1510 posts
  • Member: 3307

Posted 14 March 2013 - 22:10

QUOTE(BitterSweet @ Mar 4 2013, 08:25 AM) View Post
... the Trinity syllabus doesn't have the horrible big gap between 5 and 6, and moves much more gently through the harmony content. ...
Thanks for this BitterSweet. I didn't realise that there was such a difference.

I've reviewed the syllabus, and it seems to move more smoothly through the grades, and cover a broad range of topics - which has the added advantage of removing unnecessary detail in some areas. Additionally, it appears that everything that you need to know is in the workbooks. Even though I did really well in the ABRSM Grade 5, I'm going to switch to Trinity for Grade 8 and diploma.

#20 BitterSweet

BitterSweet

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:03

QUOTE(JudithJ @ Mar 14 2013, 10:10 PM) View Post

QUOTE(BitterSweet @ Mar 4 2013, 08:25 AM) View Post
... the Trinity syllabus doesn't have the horrible big gap between 5 and 6, and moves much more gently through the harmony content. ...
Thanks for this BitterSweet. I didn't realise that there was such a difference.

I've reviewed the syllabus, and it seems to move more smoothly through the grades, and cover a broad range of topics - which has the added advantage of removing unnecessary detail in some areas. Additionally, it appears that everything that you need to know is in the workbooks. Even though I did really well in the ABRSM Grade 5, I'm going to switch to Trinity for Grade 8 and diploma.

That's what I've done. I have Grades 6 and 7, but I'm going to skip the ABRSM grade 8 and do the AMusTCL at Christmas. I'm really excited about doing the score study, which I've never done before, and the last section for which I've picked the musicals to look at.

#21 The Improver

The Improver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Member: 690340

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:38

QUOTE(BitterSweet @ Mar 4 2013, 09:25 AM) View Post

- Harmony in Practice (Anna Butterworth) is a mighty tome, and can appear both dense and dull on first reading. It is kinda both.

mighty tome? (chuckles)

It's actually a harmony book for beginners, certainly one of the lightest on the subject. It's like a harmless sneeze, compared to other harmony books.

I think it's wildly overrated. :clarinet:

#22 Keron

Keron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Member: 486159
  • Leicester

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:17

Has anyone considered using (youtube) videos to learn theory?

I've often found that some of the content in American undergrad degrees matches up with Alevel (same standard as grade 6-8 iirc). I think this is because not everyone can take AP classes at high school. In anycase, this means there are tons of channels and websites that approach harmony from a Uni tutorial perspective.

But music is music, and they can be good.

#23 iloveoboes

iloveoboes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Member: 887324

Posted 17 October 2013 - 22:24

I found the 'AB guide to music theory' books really useful for my grade 6 theory preparations. There are two books, and although not officially divided into stuff for specific grades, the Part1 book is generally grade 1-5 material and the Part 2 book deals with grades 6-8 level work. This covers a lot of ideas that weren't covered in any of the graded books or workbooks and explains it very clearly!

#24 BitterSweet

BitterSweet

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:34

I found the 'AB guide to music theory' books really useful for my grade 6 theory preparations. There are two books, and although not officially divided into stuff for specific grades, the Part1 book is generally grade 1-5 material and the Part 2 book deals with grades 6-8 level work. This covers a lot of ideas that weren't covered in any of the graded books or workbooks and explains it very clearly!

The split isn't quite as clear cut as that since part 1-5 also covers things useful at 6-8, although part 2 only covers things used at 6-8, and nothing for 1-5.

They're definitely good reference books though. I still use mine, especially when I'm checking things for theory teaching :)

#25 jianxli

jianxli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Member: 887321

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:38

What does the "AB" in "AB Guide" mean?

#26 Ilewydh

Ilewydh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Member: 665504
  • South West

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:01

Associated Board :-)

#27 jianxli

jianxli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 23:03

Gosh. I thought it was Absolute Beginner's Guide. I have the Part 1 of the book (Grade 1-5), but nowhere in the book explaining what the "AB" stands for. Even "ABRSM Guide to Music Theory" is clearer.

#28 darrel_ong

darrel_ong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Member: 887440
  • Malaysia

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:34

Gosh. I thought it was Absolute Beginner's Guide. I have the Part 1 of the book (Grade 1-5), but nowhere in the book explaining what the "AB" stands for. Even "ABRSM Guide to Music Theory" is clearer.

Nice to meet you, Jianxli :) which grade are you in now? I'm currently working on my Grade 7 and 8 

#29 jianxli

jianxli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:14

I am still on learning grade 3. Long way to go.

#30 Invidia

Invidia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Member: 12564
  • London

Posted 20 November 2013 - 23:04

Just adding my thoughts to this thread...

In Grades 1-5, you largely just have to remember information and then apply it in the exam.

In Grades 6-8, you need a firm working knowledge of the material contained.

I did the Grade 5 to Grade 8 jump. This was over a space of years and I did A level music, a lot of composition and was half way through my undergraduate (music) degree when I decided to take it. Then I did the Harmony in Practice workbook and the AB Grade 8 workbook (this one http://shop.abrsm.or...-Grade-8/610372) and was all set.

I don't think it's something to rush into at all!