#16 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:02

The other thing you could do (which I occasionally do with children pupils) is to take a very well known tune (God Save the Queen, Happy Birthday are my usual candidates) and play it with a very strange rhythm to see whether they can recognise it.

There's a sight-reading book called 'Hidden Tunes' that consists solely of well-known melodies (carols, Greensleeves, National Anthem, Happy Birthday etc) notated entirely without time signature, bar lines or rhythms. Just the pitches written in semibreves. The titles are also not given and the fun part is to work out the identity of the tune.  It's strangely difficult and rather addictive.

#17 Dorcas

Dorcas

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1003 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 20 June 2018 - 17:24

Well, the lesson today seemed to solve the issue in its own way.  Normally, I start the lesson the same way, with some rhythm work, this time I didn't, and the youngster struggled in the lesson to focus.  For some reason, it just seems to help the youngster settle down.  By the time we got to the pieces, there was a real struggle with rhythm.  I linked it directly to the drumming work, and the parent admitted that the youngster was struggling at home.  

I am going to look up the book suggested by Clovis, as I that sounds like a really useful resource.  Thanks to everyone for posting and making suggestions.

#18 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6195 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 20 June 2018 - 20:05

I'm not a teacher but have occasionally helped people with getting to grips with notation etc. One thing I've done to point out the importance of rhythm is to clap out the rhythm of a well-known tune (e.g. happy Birthday or National Anthem) and ask them to see if they can work out the tune. Most people can.  

#19 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14616 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 20 June 2018 - 22:49

Steven Carr - sorry, I don't know anything about this research other than the info rosfrog mentioned in our conversation.

I do remember something about the rock/pop guys having a very strong sense of pulse - very metronomic and unyielding, because of the way they have to keep together.    The pulse of the classical peeps is a bit more fluid - not rubato exactly but reacting to the others you're playing with in a different and more flexible way.

Sorry, I don't remember any more than this!

:)

#20 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 20 June 2018 - 23:19

I think if you know the tune Happy Birthday you will recognise it however it is played.  I just listened to a jazz pianist playing various Jazz versions of the song and I picked up the tune in every version

#21 tetrachord

tetrachord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Member: 61050
  • Central Scotland

Posted 21 June 2018 - 13:54

Depends on how obvious it is.  I have used the trick of playing Happy Birthday to a different rhythm (I actually wrote out the notes of Happy Birthday to the rhythm of Pop Goes the Weasel just to make sure it was very different!) and only one pupil so far has had a vague notion of what the actual tune was.  Interestingly I also initially tried playing the rhythm without the notes but pupils weren't able to work it out.  Don't know if that says something about my teaching abilities...unsure.png

#22 Steven Carr

Steven Carr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Member: 286204

Posted 21 June 2018 - 15:39

I think if you know the tune Happy Birthday you will recognise it however it is played.  I just listened to a jazz pianist playing various Jazz versions of the song and I picked up the tune in every version

I've heard Happy Birthday in all kinds of minor keys on You Tube, and it is perfectly recognisable provided the rhythm is reasonably detectable.

#23 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7845 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:32

I have a seven year old who is having a bit of difficulty establishing a regular pulse. Yesterday he said that his father helps him practise and always wants him to play faster. I am going to have to do a bit of explaining!