#1 tabya876

tabya876

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Member: 900004

Posted 07 January 2021 - 13:56

Hi

My 11 Year-old daughter is a multi-instrumentalist and I am trying to figure out what her 'best' (most appropriate given her own and family context) options are going forward.

Key instruments include:

Bass Guitar - Grade 8

Acoustic Guitar - Grade 8

Singing (contemporary) - Grade 8

Saxophone - Grade 6

Clarinet - Grade 5

Piano - Grade 5

She prefers more contemporary/ pop/ R&B repertoires but plays classical pieces primarily, albeit not exclusively, on her woodwind instruments. The first 4 instruments are her favourites.  As she is still young, she has indicated that she loves music but is not yet certain she wants to be a professional musician but wants to be the best she can be, especially at the first 3.

I have contacted the following:

BRIT School - she visited and the Saturday school group she would be best suited to are 4 years or so older (not keen on that)

ACM - does not cater to her age and has no more Saturday school programmes

RAM -she is not old enough for the most appropriate jazz programme (needs to be 14)

Junior Guildhall - I cannot quite figure out how their programmes work and it appears she will have to choose only one instrument/ first study

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice of what other options there would be to help her develop as a multi-instrumentalist?  Is she just best sticking to the best individual teachers that I can find?  Her bass and acoustic guitar teachers are world-class performers (and teachers. as far as I can humbly determine). The others may not be obviously world-class (recognised internationally as such by their peers) but are mostly still great teachers.

There are various band programmes that she has tried - the Band Project is good but grounded by COVID-19. They also struggle to find children of similar levels for their bands.

Thank you

#2 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15000 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 08 January 2021 - 22:40

I've sent you a message :).

#3 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2374 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 10 January 2021 - 13:04

Most impressive that she has managed to reach that level in so many instruments! 
If you are within hailing distance of Bromley, the Saturday Youth Music Trust might be worth investigating, once they resume live sessions -  which  of course might be quite some time. But she would have good ensemble opportunities there and at a much more affordable price than the Junior Depts of the major music colleges. 

#4 Ayshah

Ayshah

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1006 posts
  • Member: 2142
  • Central London, England

Posted 12 January 2021 - 20:14

I highly recommend https://tomorrowswarriors.org the best place for young girls who are interested in a non classical genre. They are very supportive and encouraging of advanced young children. And it's Free!

Check out their FB page and look at their phenomenal alumni successes.  The alumni frequently return to teach under the banner of "Each One Teach One".  If you want to know who attended the Programme if would be easier to ask who didn't!

This is all subject to COVID restrictions of course! 

#5 tabya876

tabya876

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 19:31

Most impressive that she has managed to reach that level in so many instruments! 
If you are within hailing distance of Bromley, the Saturday Youth Music Trust might be worth investigating, once they resume live sessions -  which  of course might be quite some time. But she would have good ensemble opportunities there and at a much more affordable price than the Junior Depts of the major music colleges. 

Thank you Helen. I will look into that - we are not too far from Bromley

#6 tabya876

tabya876

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 17:02

I highly recommend https://tomorrowswarriors.org the best place for young girls who are interested in a non classical genre. They are very supportive and encouraging of advanced young children. And it's Free!

Check out their FB page and look at their phenomenal alumni successes.  The alumni frequently return to teach under the banner of "Each One Teach One".  If you want to know who attended the Programme if would be easier to ask who didn't!

This is all subject to COVID restrictions of course! 

Tomorrows' Warriors looks really interesting Helen. I've reached out to them. I also have a call with Junior Guildhall on Thursday.

#7 tabya876

tabya876

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 08:35

Unfortunately, I have not heard from Tomorrow's Warriors. I have spoken with Junior Guildhall. They don't have a bass guitar teacher, so suggested selecting clarinet as the first instrument, with sax as the second.

#8 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3859 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:04

Unfortunately, I have not heard from Tomorrow's Warriors. I have spoken with Junior Guildhall. They don't have a bass guitar teacher, so suggested selecting clarinet as the first instrument, with sax as the second.

My son's JD would have insisted on piano as the second study as it's so useful in every way for a musician.

If your daughter really wants to play the bass then don't get pushed down the clarinet route. That makes no sense.

#9 tabya876

tabya876

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 12:58

My son's JD would have insisted on piano as the second study as it's so useful in every way for a musician.

If your daughter really wants to play the bass then don't get pushed down the clarinet route. That makes no sense.

Thank you. Totally agree with you. None of the JDs seem to accept bass guitar as a first study. Of all that I've looked at, TWs seems the best fit.  My daughter knows the importance of the piano but would rather find somewhere where her first loves can be developed, i.e, singing, bass, acoustic guitar and saxophone. I guess she wont find all she wants in any JD.

#10 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 30 January 2021 - 13:50

Birmingham conservatoire juniors offers bass guitar for their jazz course. I'm not sure how much of a response you would get from them at the moment, as my pupil who applied for a place last March has yet to hear back as to whether or not he has a place this year. Every now and then they send an email saying they will be looking at auditions 'soon'. At least I get to keep him for a bit longer!

#11 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3859 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 30 January 2021 - 14:05

My son was at RNCM and, apart from generally liking students to play the piano if possible, they were pretty flexible. My son ended up with a third study because he didn't know which to choose, and that worked really well for him though it made him quite busy.

#12 Ayshah

Ayshah

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1006 posts
  • Member: 2142
  • Central London, England

Posted 31 January 2021 - 06:47

Please do keep trying to link with TW. They are over subscribed and very popular. Absolutely worthwhile organisation for young talented music children who do not want to follow a classical route.  Think Covid has been very disruptive to the usual space based at the SouthBank. It's the one place where my daughter felt positively supported as a non-classical musician and as a girl. 

Alumni include Nubya Garcia (a recent judge on the BBC Young Jazz musician 2020), Moses Boyd (Mercury nominated 2020), Sam Barnett scholarship to continue his music studies in Basel and many more. Bands include Nérija, (recently on Jools Holland) Ezra Collective all award winners.  Several have attended summer course in the US including Berklee. Most have gone on to graduate from Trinity Laban Conservatoire. The Director and hands on teacher of TW is Gary Crosby, a bass player. 

If your daughter wants to plays the bass don't be distracted into clarinet, it may just discourage her completely.

#13 tabya876

tabya876

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 19:24

Birmingham conservatoire juniors offers bass guitar for their jazz course. I'm not sure how much of a response you would get from them at the moment, as my pupil who applied for a place last March has yet to hear back as to whether or not he has a place this year. Every now and then they send an email saying they will be looking at auditions 'soon'. At least I get to keep him for a bit longer!

Thank you Zwhe. We live in the South East unfortunately.

#14 tabya876

tabya876

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 19:25

Please do keep trying to link with TW. They are over subscribed and very popular. Absolutely worthwhile organisation for young talented music children who do not want to follow a classical route.  Think Covid has been very disruptive to the usual space based at the SouthBank. It's the one place where my daughter felt positively supported as a non-classical musician and as a girl. 

Alumni include Nubya Garcia (a recent judge on the BBC Young Jazz musician 2020), Moses Boyd (Mercury nominated 2020), Sam Barnett scholarship to continue his music studies in Basel and many more. Bands include Nérija, (recently on Jools Holland) Ezra Collective all award winners.  Several have attended summer course in the US including Berklee. Most have gone on to graduate from Trinity Laban Conservatoire. The Director and hands on teacher of TW is Gary Crosby, a bass player. 

If your daughter wants to plays the bass don't be distracted into clarinet, it may just discourage her completely.

Thank you Ayshah