335 replies to this topic

#316 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17664 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:46

I have played the Berceuse but its one of the few Chopin pieces I don't really enjoy. Nothing much for left hand to do.  !

Have gone back to some pieces I was practising before my heart 'op', a Rach 'Etude Tableau'  and a Chopin Ballade Op10 No 2

#317 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4943 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:04

I have played the Berceuse but its one of the few Chopin pieces I don't really enjoy. Nothing much for left hand to do.  !

Have gone back to some pieces I was practising before my heart 'op', a Rach 'Etude Tableau'  and a Chopin Ballade Op10 No 2

Maybe no LH fireworks with the Berceuse but it needs to keep steady as the RH gets busier.

Good to hear you are resuming some of your pre op pieces - must mean you are gaining more stamina.

#318 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1397 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:29

Minuet in C

Arietta

Arabesque 

Are you mixing-and-matching grades?  I can see a Minuet in C (A2) at grade 1, and an Arietta (A4) and Arabesque (B1) at grade 2, etc etc.  How are you getting along?

#319 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10775 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 04 November 2019 - 11:01

I'm learning December from Tchaikovsky's Seasons. I acquired the music this time last year (after my Grade 8 exam), but as I have a strong association between this piece and Christmas I couldn't bring myself to look at it before October. :magicDust:

#320 Darth_Noob

Darth_Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 899473

Posted 09 November 2019 - 20:00

Just finished Liszt's Liebestraum no.3. Great piece, still need to work on my expression a bit but other than that it is mastered. Just started learning Chopin's minute waltz :)

#321 Rusty pianist

Rusty pianist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Member: 898702

Posted 10 November 2019 - 21:27

Trying to polish up Chopin's Nocturne op 32 no 2.

#322 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 10 November 2019 - 22:07

Just started learning the Egyptian level. It is not that hard to play actually!

#323 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17664 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:00

Trying to polish up Chopin's Nocturne op 32 no 2.

Ah yes the one in A flat, haven't played it for ages.

#324 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1809 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 11 November 2019 - 13:34

I think this is a great piece -- it's attractive, amusing and confidence-boosting for anyone who is on the threshold of Grade 1.  I keep a list of previous Grade 1 pieces which almost all pupils enjoy playing when they get past the 5-finger stage and Egyptian Level is definitely going on it.   These little gems are hard to find.

#325 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • UK

Posted 11 November 2019 - 13:39

I think this is a great piece -- it's attractive, amusing and confidence-boosting for anyone who is on the threshold of Grade 1.  I keep a list of previous Grade 1 pieces which almost all pupils enjoy playing when they get past the 5-finger stage and Egyptian Level is definitely going on it.   These little gems are hard to find.

What other G1 piano pieces do you know? 

#326 wendym

wendym

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Member: 899027
  • Kent

Posted 11 November 2019 - 13:43

I’ve just discovered Haydn and am thoroughly enjoying it - playing the XVI 49 E flat major sonata and it’s such a joy to play!

#327 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3749 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 11 November 2019 - 17:11

Creepy crawly from Piano time jazz 1 and Tarantella by Pam Wedgewood are 2 other on the easy side Grade 1 exam pieces.

#328 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • UK

Posted 11 November 2019 - 17:24

Creepy crawly from Piano time jazz 1 and Tarantella by Pam Wedgewood are 2 other on the easy side Grade 1 exam pieces.

Thanks! 

#329 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1809 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 12 November 2019 - 13:33

What other G1 piano pieces do you know? 

As well as Creepy Crawly; Bluemerang,(Haughton) In the Pink, (Chapple) Grasshopper (Papp)  In the Boat,(Rybicki)  Polovtsian Dance (arr) Song of Erin,(Dunhill) Tender Flower,(Swinstead) Vampire Blues (Wooding) Water Lilies (Gillock).  Post Grade 1 Flying above the Cloud (Bullard) is very popular

#330 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17664 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 19:53

I’ve just discovered Haydn and am thoroughly enjoying it - playing the XVI 49 E flat major sonata and it’s such a joy to play!

I have played most of the Haydn sonatas at various times.  By far the best is the last one , No 52, could have been by Beethoven and is contemporary with Beethovens early sonatas. Many of the early ones are relatively trivial. You have to get to no 23 in F and also 29 (also in F) to get a decent one. I particularly like no 23. otherwise its the last dozen or so like the 49 you are doing and also no 50 (Known as the English sonata) which give satisfaction