• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 23 October 2019 - 14:17

I wasn't sure what to put for a title for this one. I had a text this morning:

'Can I have a flute lesson? beginner'

My temptation is to reply: Maybe. teacher

Not sure that would go down too well. What do people expect you to say to something like that? Even assuming English isn't their first language, they haven't included a name!

#2 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2844 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 23 October 2019 - 14:55

I get some brief enquiries, although not as brief as this! I always answer with 'Thanks for the enquiry. Please could you give me a little more information?'

#3 BabyGrand

BabyGrand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Member: 144315
  • UK

Posted 23 October 2019 - 15:44

I wasn't sure what to put for a title for this one. I had a text this morning:

'Can I have a flute lesson? beginner'

My temptation is to reply: Maybe. teacher

Not sure that would go down too well. What do people expect you to say to something like that? Even assuming English isn't their first language, they haven't included a name!

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Personally I would still reply politely no matter what - I can't control how people speak to me but I can control how I speak to others.  The only ones I ignore are scammy ones.  

But your suggested reply made me laugh!   :lol:

#4 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6003 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 23 October 2019 - 16:30

I get some brief enquiries, although not as brief as this! I always answer with 'Thanks for the enquiry. Please could you give me a little more information?'

I generally go with something like this too, and also ask if they have (or propose to acquire) a suitable instrument to practise on. I tend to check on their whereabouts too, and whether they can travel to me since I'd be unlikely to take them on if they couldn't. 

#5 ten left thumbs

ten left thumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Member: 454622

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:13

What bothers me is when I reply and they don't bother to reply to the email. Especially if I've suggested a time. Then I don't know whether I can use that time for someone else or not. 

#6 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:47

Not a teacher, but my 2 penn'orth: you could have an "information for beginners" type pro forma prepared that you can copy and paste or send as an attachment with just a short response that refers to it or a link to a similar page on your website if you have one. You could suggest they read that first and then come back with any further questions (you provide a list of free lesson slots, assuming you have any)

The pro forma could cover all the usual stuff like instruments, length/cost of lessons, expected hours of practice, your t&c, whatever other stuff you get asked regularly 

#7 RPassacaglia

RPassacaglia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Member: 894857
  • UK

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:47

What bothers me is when I reply and they don't bother to reply to the email. Especially if I've suggested a time. Then I don't know whether I can use that time for someone else or not.

Me too. I hate it when this happens. Some people are just rude and inconsiderate.

#8 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3761 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:53

On the other hand when lesson requests were always by phone, I used to get involved in lengthy conversations with parents about all sorts of irrelevant details or tales of their children's brilliance so a short text or e mail seems quite good to me though maybe not as short as the OP's!

#9 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1282 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 24 October 2019 - 16:34

not a teacher, but how times have changed! In my youth, the standard reply would have been "If you say 'please'!"

#10 DMC

DMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Member: 477382

Posted 25 October 2019 - 13:02

I'm always suspicious if the opening question is 'how much do you charge for lessons'. It's a perfectly valid and important thing to ask, but the sensible ones usually tell me a little about themselves or their son/daughter, before asking if I have any availability, and then ask what I charge.

#11 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2844 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 25 October 2019 - 16:09

I get most of my enquiries through my website, so people know my fees before they contact me. The same with musicteachers.co.uk

#12 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Member: 63311

Posted 25 October 2019 - 18:07

Prices are on each page of my website but people still repeatedly email asking how much lessons are.   :rolleyes:

I have a contact form on the website, and often get people just filling in 'piano' as a reply to the question of 'what would you like to ask?'  I have a standard reply that I send out to those types of enquiries and seldom hear from them again.  I've had a few spam emails all with the same content, but from a different name each time.  These emails ask for lessons for two children and state that 'a private driver would be dropping them off with me.'  They also ask for a specific day and time.  I've ignored them as there were also a few other things that made me suspicious.  

I received an enquiry for driving lessons once.

#13 RPassacaglia

RPassacaglia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Member: 894857
  • UK

Posted 25 October 2019 - 19:27

Prices are on each page of my website but people still repeatedly email asking how much lessons are.   :rolleyes:

I have a contact form on the website, and often get people just filling in 'piano' as a reply to the question of 'what would you like to ask?'  I have a standard reply that I send out to those types of enquiries and seldom hear from them again.  I've had a few spam emails all with the same content, but from a different name each time.  These emails ask for lessons for two children and state that 'a private driver would be dropping them off with me.'  They also ask for a specific day and time.  I've ignored them as there were also a few other things that made me suspicious.  

I received an enquiry for driving lessons once.

It’s interesting to hear that I’m not the only one who receives enquiries like these through my website! I thought I was doing something wrong.

I have a contact form on my website with various fields to fill in such as “name”, “email address” and “comment”. Once I had an enquiry and in the comment box they had typed “no”.

#14 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1426 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 25 October 2019 - 19:57

I never publicise my prices - I think it is a mistake. I know this is contentious on here but I have many reasons for not doing so and possibly not the ones you may imagine.

#15 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Member: 63311

Posted 25 October 2019 - 20:54

I never publicise my prices - I think it is a mistake. I know this is contentious on here but I have many reasons for not doing so and possibly not the ones you may imagine.

The reason I put prices on my website was because I got so fed up with people constantly emailing just asking the price of lessons.  They still do though, so I may remove them again.