#166 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8105 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 02 March 2020 - 14:05

My little clump of wild primroses has not shown up this year and I have been very sad about that. They are my favourite flowers and reminded me of those long ago childhood days when the hedgerows were full of them and we decorated the little Methodist Chapel with them on “Primrose Sunday.” I can smell them now!

I have been regularly walking the dog past my neighbour’s house. The house has been empty for a couple of years as he became dependant and had to go to the local retirement home. I very occasionally saw his daughter when she came to look after the house.  While walking the dog  I noticed that there were what seemed to be a large number of clumps of wild primroses growing in his garden and had he been there I would have asked if I might have one. Yesterday I met the daughter who told me the sad news that H had died. She was there with her son, clearing out the house. She asked me if there was anything I would like to have – so I asked for a clump of primroses and she gave me two. I have planted them and will now have my favourite flowers back and something by which to remember my neighbour. I will take great care of them.

#167 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4976 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 02 March 2020 - 14:52

That's lovely! :)

#168 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4976 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:22

Gardeners, we have a way of beating those empty supermarket shelves. Who is growing fruit and veg this year? Dig for victory and all that!

I've just ordered some seeds - Bush Baby marrows and Goldrush (yellow) courgettes. (To add to my tomatoes, rhubarb, cooking apples and raspberries).

Also, does anyone have any livestock? I have one (dozy) hen who might lay me a few eggs if I ask her nicely. :unsure:

Feel free to post about your ostrich farms and so on!  :) 

#169 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:27

I am. I'll grow a bit more than usual, just in case. I've ordered new raspberry plants and a kiwi plant (two, in fact, for pollination). I also have a grapevine that gave me my first harvest last year.

No livestock for me, but I've been doing my bit for the wildlife by not being very tidy on my allotment, does that count?

#170 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4976 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:50

Helping the wildlife certainly counts! :) What type of raspberries? I have some Glen Clovas and some Glen Moys - very old plants but good. We may be able to swap fruit for bog rolls later in the year!

#171 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:35

Yes... I have ordered Autumn Amber and some other newish hybrids from Lubera. I already have Malling Jewel, but haven't had much from these as yet. And some canes that I inherited with my allotment and which have been fruiting nicely.

I planted one blackberry Summerlong two years ago and that's been going very well. It's very well behaved, grows long straight canes from one point, and gives really nice fruit.

#172 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5179 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 22 March 2020 - 11:19

Radically reorganised the raised beds last autumn as we decided they were in the wrong place i.e not enough sunlight.
Seed spuds sprouting until time to go in bags; leeks germinating on windowsill; seeds already arrived from catalogue and raised beds covered in green plastic to warm up the soil.

Brambles sprouting as well as dwarf apple and 2 step-over apples coming into bud.

Good luck to all others planning productive plots. :)

#173 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4976 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:35

Just ordered seeds for lettuce, cucumber, peppers, aubergines, and fennel. Many companies on Amazon are overcharging at about £11 per pack of seeds. I eventually found a firm who are not overcharging.

#174 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1485 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 31 March 2020 - 14:40

After years of garden neglect I've just discovered the no-dig concept, which seems like a Very Good Idea indeed! Have set up a veggie bed on a scrubby grass covered patch which is hopefuly ready to go for when the last frosts pass. Anyone else tried this method?

#175 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4976 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 16:25

Have you put a raised bed on top of it?

#176 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 31 March 2020 - 16:43

I'm trying to grow veg, but most of my garden is a mass of brambles. I cleared some of it last year, and it now has onions and some seeds in it. I have potatoes waiting to go in, and some seeds in trays. I have plenty of time...

#177 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1485 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 31 March 2020 - 18:12

Have you put a raised bed on top of it?

No, it seems this is an alternative to raised beds, which I inititally thought about but despaired about getting help to make this side of eternity ....
There's lots of stuff if you google no dig e.g.

https://www.growveg....s-the-easy-way/

#178 Pickle

Pickle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Member: 578811

Posted 31 March 2020 - 19:21

I've been doing no-dig for several years now, and would highly recommend it. I mulch between rows of veg using a double layer of newspaper weighted down with grass clippings. By the following season, both paper and grass have rotted down and a brief raking is all that is required to incorporate it into the soil.

The main thing I would say is, try to never walk on the bed - this compacts the soil. If you keep the beds long and narrow, you can generally work them from the sides. My beds aren't raised as such, but are areas permanantly marked out as "Keep 0ff The Veg Patch" sort of areas.

No-dig really takes the stress out of veg growing - go for it!

#179 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 31 March 2020 - 19:58

I tried no-dig for the first time last year and got the best harvest ever, for a lot less effort - what's not to like!

#180 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 20:31

Pickle, doesn't the newspaper fly away in windy weather? I'd like to try your method but our allotment site is quite exposed.