#19021 barry-clari the second

barry-clari the second

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Member: 900824

Posted 24 September 2021 - 18:15

What is it with all the traffic today? Everywhere's absolutely mad busy! (And too many roadworks round here as usual)

Yes. I think  everyone is trying to buy fuel.
I agree. Quite irritating - especially as there isn’t a shortage. It’s not like the fuel blockade of 2000 (?) where there really were issues.

#FreeTheCorenfaOne

#19022 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18978 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 24 September 2021 - 18:40

Terrible, I needed petrol anyway, and there was a huge queue building up to our Shell garage which is on a roundabout.  But people were coming from two other directions and therefore pushing in, much to the annoyance of those in the queue, and sometimes they blocked the roundabout up completely. I went to a Texaco about two miles away , and only had to wait for one car to finish at the pump and one more before me.

#19023 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4572 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 02 October 2021 - 07:18

Need to get a couple of warm cardigans as I know from previous years that my teaching rooms at school can be freezing in the winter. Why are so many of them edge to edge ie no buttons, zip etc. Is it laziness on the part of the manufacturers?

#19024 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7060 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 02 October 2021 - 15:03

New academic year for my distance learning, as of 1st October.  Have just made my year planner, downloaded all the useful things, and worked out that I have 150 pages of stuff that I'd like to print out.  Going to book a trip in to the office then and get the super-quick automatic-double-sided heavy-duty printer on that task :D (we're officially allowed personal use of the work printers, so long as it's not something we get paid for and doesn't relate to finding a job in another company!)

#19025 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15175 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 02 October 2021 - 21:58

Still pondering as to what 'runs-in' might be  :D

#19026 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 02 October 2021 - 22:20

I don't know what it is with builders in this neck of the woods. We are trying to get a quote from a few builders to knock down an old croft house next to us that actually belongs to us...
...Builders don't seem to be short of work here.

Part of the problem is probably similar to the one we have here - smaller/rural community - so word of mouth is king. All the good builders are booked up months ahead in normal years. Lockdown hasn't helped the situation (backlog of jobs) and neither has the shortage of building materials/timber and the eye watering prices that are being asked from some suppliers. And then there are people who've realised that working from home works for them, so there's an extra demand for garden offices and extensions to facilitate that.

I know our builder would love a visit to your neck of the woods but he is so busy I think it would be a case of what year rather than what month.

#19027 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2193 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 03 October 2021 - 07:24

And then there are people who've realised that working from home works for them

It's when builders decide that they want to work from home that we know we are really in trouble ... :(

#19028 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London SE5

Posted 03 October 2021 - 07:34

Need to get a couple of warm cardigans as I know from previous years that my teaching rooms at school can be freezing in the winter. Why are so many of them edge to edge ie no buttons, zip etc. Is it laziness on the part of the manufacturers?

I haven't owned a cardigan for a long time. I have a lot of Sainsbury's cotton-fleece sweaters, but I can overheat, and then they are less useful than a cardy because I'll get cold if I take them off completely.

I used to have a lot of zippered fleeces, though, but I haven't worn one for a long time (not so good for violin playing). I'd better check if there are any left in the cupboards. And see how much cardies cost in M&S, I suppose.

#19029 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7157 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:06

I realised I was washing dishes with cold water, which was odd since my hot water is 'on demand' and I'd had a shower 20 minutes earlier... Boiler had no power. Eventually worked out that the RCD had tripped on the ring main - don't know why...

#19030 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7060 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 03 October 2021 - 12:53

New academic year for my distance learning, as of 1st October.  Have just made my year planner, downloaded all the useful things, and worked out that I have 150 pages of stuff that I'd like to print out.  Going to book a trip in to the office then and get the super-quick automatic-double-sided heavy-duty printer on that task :D

Discovered somewhere onine where I send them the files, they print and send to me in the post.  Cost for what I want doing works out to be about the same as "lunch in canteen + afternoon chocolate brownie + fuel costs there and back", so I'm staying at home.  And I get to keep the fuel in the car just in case Mr M needs it later in the week so he can go to work.  Couldn't find anywhere in town (i.e. walking distance) offering anything similar (the local library was 20p per sheet which worked out a lot more expensive and I don't think they are really expecting you to drop in with a 150 page print job!)

#19031 stetenorve

stetenorve

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3417 posts
  • Member: 60099
  • Bolsover, Chesterfield.

Posted 07 October 2021 - 06:13

We appear to be a remarkably "balanced" forum. At the time of writing there are 23,131 replies to the Happy thread and 23,125 to the Scream thread. 

#19032 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London SE5

Posted 07 October 2021 - 06:32

...but often I don't know if the scream thread is for minor screams or major ones. Often I want to post a minor one, but I'm afraid to, because someone has posted a major one previously, and mine would look petty or unsympathetic. Yet I can't believe there are, or rather hope there aren't, 1,600 pages of major screams.

#19033 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7157 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 07 October 2021 - 06:56

Happy used to be significantly ahead of aargh... 

#19034 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2193 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 07 October 2021 - 07:50

...but often I don't know if the scream thread is for minor screams or major ones.

Similar problem with the happy thread. I was able to buy petrol for my little car yesterday for the first time in 10 days, and with no significant wait. But should what used to be a perfectly normal event now be a cause for rejoicing? I suppose. in a sense, it made me happy ...

#19035 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18978 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 07 October 2021 - 10:10

We haven't had any real petrol problems on the Wirral, there were a few longer queues  at some stations for a couple of days last weekend,  but all have seemed normal since Monday.