#1 sharpstudent

sharpstudent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Member: 899937
  • N.Ireland

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:52

Helllo Everyone, I need a some advice. How do I tune a concert flute? The flute I have is over 10 years old and I can't remember it having been tuned. It has been used many times for concerts, but it hasn't been played for about 3-4 years. And I recently played it and noticed it was quite out of tune.

#2 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1396 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2019 - 15:35

As a starting point the head piece normally sits around 5 mm outside of the head joint rather than being all the way in.

If there's still a tuning issue, check the placement of the head joint cork.  The easy way to test the default placement is to use the cleaning rod specific to the flute; it should have a marker line on it which, when placed in the head joint against the cork, sits centrally in the embouchure hole. For a cylindrical head, this distance is actually equal to the internal diameter of the bore.  With the default position set, check the tuning of overblown octaves (e.g. on D and G) – if the octaves are too wide pull the cork joint out and vice versa, and you may also need to adjust the amount the head sits in/out from the head joint.

https://www.youtube....h?v=ImX-dzY-txI

Is flute one of the instruments you will be teaching?

#3 sharpstudent

sharpstudent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • N.Ireland

Posted 08 November 2019 - 16:40

As a starting point the head piece normally sits around 5 mm outside of the head joint rather than being all the way in.

If there's still a tuning issue, check the placement of the head joint cork.  The easy way to test the default placement is to use the cleaning rod specific to the flute; it should have a marker line on it which, when placed in the head joint against the cork, sits centrally in the embouchure hole. For a cylindrical head, this distance is actually equal to the internal diameter of the bore.  With the default position set, check the tuning of overblown octaves (e.g. on D and G) – if the octaves are too wide pull the cork joint out and vice versa, and you may also need to adjust the amount the head sits in/out from the head joint.

Thank you so much for the information. will try it out shortly No I don't want to teach flute yet, I need more experience on it. I am currently learning guitar as well. 

#4 sharpstudent

sharpstudent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • N.Ireland

Posted 08 November 2019 - 16:43

Thank you so much for the information. will try it out shortly No I don't want to teach flute yet, I need more experience on it. I am currently learning guitar as well. 

P.S Youtube video is great  :)