Photo

Video lessons - what software do you use?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Iulia

Iulia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Member: 899283

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:04

Hi all

I mostly do home visits, and it works fine for me as its a very dense urban area and most of my students are no more than 10 minutes from me and each other.

I was lucky last couple of years that there wasn't too much bad weather round here, and days it did snow mostly missed my travel days :D

However I was just thinking this morning it might be a good idea to discuss options with parents in advance if there was really severe weather.

(I do have a 4x4 and I'm quite confident driving, the problem is other people frankly driving like #### and causing accidents that block roads ...) :rofl:

So any of you who do video lessons, what do you find the best software to use? A parent rang me on whatsapp video last week and the quality was terrible. I use facetime a lot personally but never tried it for music so no idea if the quality is ok.

Do any of you regularly do video lessons, and if so, what software do you use?

Thanks in advance

#2 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:32

Would be interesting to know also if any software works by sending also the digital audio output (e.g. MIDI) of a digital piano so that the playing can be recreated on the receiver's piano (or VSTI/DAW) without any loss of sound quality.

#3 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:28

I have lessons with whatsapp video - my teacher prefers it to Skype and I think the quality is better. Used over my home internet which is cable, very rarely any issues.

#4 RPassacaglia

RPassacaglia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Member: 894857
  • UK

Posted 21 November 2019 - 00:13

I regularly teach over Skype or FaceTime and find the quality mostly good. I tried WhatsApp once and found the quality terrible, same with Facebook Messenger.

#5 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:01

Would be interesting to know also if any software works by sending also the digital audio output (e.g. MIDI) of a digital piano so that the playing can be recreated on the receiver's piano (or VSTI/DAW) without any loss of sound quality.

MIDI is not audio - for what I think you are describing it is sending note on/off and velocity which you want to be input to the pupil's keyboard and they would then hear the sound generated by their keyboard. It is an interesting notion.

I tried a quick search using "send midi data over internet" and got some potentially interesting hits that could be worth exploring although obviously far simpler if you can find a video/audio setup that works

#6 Lucid

Lucid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Member: 23721
  • UK

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:36

I remember seeing this video on You Tube ages ago when I was searching for Jarrod Radnich's videos. Probably a very expensive set up but just interesting to see that the technology was there several years ago.

https://www.youtube....h?v=WN7mCgZc79A

Lucid :)

#7 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2019 - 14:52

I remember seeing this video on You Tube ages ago when I was searching for Jarrod Radnich's videos. Probably a very expensive set up but just interesting to see that the technology was there several years ago.

https://www.youtube....h?v=WN7mCgZc79A

Lucid :)

Yes, I suppose that was the sort of thing I imagined.

Would be interesting to know if such a set up would be more beneficial to teaching than just the Skype audio; and https://www.youtube....=youtu.be&t=334.