1 reply to this topic

#1 stringfellow

stringfellow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Member: 893071

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:31

I have a 12 year old pupil on a 3/4 sized violin, she really needs a full size now.
Progress is painfully slow, she rarely practises coupled with not a lot of ability. I have mentioned this to the Mum and I do feel she would be better off doing some other activity after school. How much do I mention that she needs a bigger violin when I suspect she will give up and I don’t think they are that well off.
We are working towards grade 1 after 3 years of lessons, not all the time with me, she had been learning at school.
I teach piano to the younger brother who does show interest, but I suspect it’s a package as they all arrive together, I am fine with this, they are a lovely family.
Let it run it’s course?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5989 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 12 October 2019 - 10:32

You might find that the pupil needing a full-size instrument will bring things to a head, especially since you say the family is not well off. Could you have a quiet word with the parents to say something along the lines of a larger violin now being needed - if she wants to keep on playing? Your pupil is not too young to know whether she herself derives enough pleasure to carry on learning. Sometimes even painfully slow pupils are getting more from the lessons that we, as teachers, can tell from the outside. A new instrument might even encourage her to practise more.

Whichever way things go, playing a violin that is cramping her is not to be recommended, and could even be hurting her.

If there are lessons at school, is there any possibility of the school loaning her a violin? I keep one full-size instrument at home for loan / hire as required (bought on ebay). It has been really useful on a number of occasions, especially when one girl outgrew her 3/4 violin and couldn't buy a new one until she had saved up for it.