Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6866 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 27 April 2020 - 14:46

It was nagging at me, so I just looked it up.  Not only were those three I mentioned all exam pieces, that was in fact my G5 line up.  So I would have first played them 10 years ago, so no wonder they are now like comfy slippers :o

#4052 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7141 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 27 April 2020 - 18:42

My go to pieces for something familiar and comfortable are the first of the Handel sonatas in the red Barenreiter collection (think it might be Gm), Sarabande from the Bach partita in Cm, Telemann Fantasia 2, the first movement of the Bowen sonata and the Berkeley sonatina (ignoring the second half of the first movement which I always find needs more concentration).

#4053 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7141 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 27 April 2020 - 18:50

One thing I will often do if I'm not feeling up to playing properly is just play around with bits of tunes I know or just making up new tunes for myself, enjoying the sound and feel of the instruments without any pressure or need to play something 'correctly'. You can also work on long notes and tone - getting each note to sound as beautiful as you can get it and shaping the ends to create phrasing effects - without any need for finger dexterity or brain sharpness.

#4054 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 27 April 2020 - 22:49

On bad days, I usually just let everything slip as soon as I realise that my playing is rubbish, because it's disheartening, and also because I don't want to mangle things I love. But if I play, it is things I feel familiar with, or things I can do from memory. Might be Daphne but only the theme and first variation (my memory fails somewhere in the second), or Boffons, or some of the simple French dance suite tunes with which I started out, or the Boismortier Gentillesse in G major that I transcribed from Passacaglia's YouTube performance. Or even themes from Thomas the Tank Engine.

If I do decide to play from music, I tend to go for something I have played quite a bit in the past (familiar) but not what I'm trying to do at the moment; I've got some Galliard stuff that's fun for that, and Chedeville's stuff that he cheekily pretended was by Vivaldi.

Maizie, if the dance movement from Telemann is the one I'm thinking of, it's a real cheer-you-up beauty.

#4055 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:31

Thanks everyone. That's interesting - and useful! I have just started playing again and I realised that I tend to sight read obviously new stuff because I like sight reading. So, I pick up one of Hugh Gorton's books and play at random. Probably *very* badly! :) If I've lapsed for a while then |I tend to go back to Bonsor's book and start from the beginning... 

I hope everyone is well and cheerful and playing! Take care of yourselves all of you!

PS elemimele if I followed what you do then I wouldn't play anything. I mangle all in my path! :blink:

#4056 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 13:41

oh, I meant bad days relatively speaking! I don't claim to be a reliable non-mangler even on good days! But I have one of those days where everything I touch comes out ten times worse than I know it would have the day before, sometimes I can't be bothered to keep trying, and instead decide to wait and see if it's miraculously better the day after. Often it is. I don't know whehter objectively it is, or whether it just feels better in comparison. But who cares, it gets me playing again the next day!

Enjoy what you're doing, and definitely enjoy sight-reading, it's a good thing to be able to do, so at least we need never feel guilty about doing it.

#4057 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 05 May 2020 - 14:49

PS elemimele if I followed what you do then I wouldn't play anything. I mangle all in my path! :blink:

Me too - I just wasn't sure about admitting to it!

#4058 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 05 May 2020 - 19:52

Me too - I just wasn't sure about admitting to it!
I'll join you in the mangling club if I may. (My username describes very accurately how I treat rhythm.)

#4059 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 23:00

Pulse is something I do until I reach a difficult note... :)

#4060 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 10:28

That's why I like sight reading because I can say I'm doing something for the first time and it's difficult. Never mind that even if I played it a zillion times it'd be no better (and it might be worse)... I can bask in the knowledge that I got to the end... Sometimes my husband even recognises the piece, sort of... I also think that people like Bach (who taught) would be sympathetic at my attempts and may even wish they'd written it as I play it... :lol:

#4061 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 06 May 2020 - 13:21

That reminds me of a singing workshop with John Rutter, when he said after we'd got through one of his compositions: "That was good, I even recognised bits of it!"

elemimele, I have to remember that line next time my harp teacher points out that I've just played that group of minims at double the speed or similar...

#4062 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 06 May 2020 - 14:43

Pulse is what goes up when I see a difficult note approaching :)

#4063 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6866 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 15:06

For those who don't venture to the Teachers' forum, there was a post there about the accredited exam board MTB.  Who I'd never heard of.  So I went and looked at their recorder syllabus out of nosiness.  Many familiar pieces in there, but the supporting tests very different.  Don't think I'd cope in the slightest :lol: https://www.mtbexams...labus/recorder/

#4064 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 15:22

@Maizie

I thought I'd manage the technical exercise very well... (pre grade 1). But I have serious doubts that any teacher (no matter how skilled) could manage to clap their part to coincide with mine. As for the singing... don't even go there...  :blink:

Pulse is what goes up when I see a difficult note approaching :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#4065 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6866 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 08:08

The last exam I took was G7.  That was a fair while ago, but there have been fair breaks in my music playing since then for this, that and the other reasons.  So I tend to think of G7 stuff as 'stuff I should be able to work on' and G8 as 'aspirational level'.

Pieces aside, I looked at the G7 and saw you could do a load of scales from memory, or a different selection not from memory.  Wow, that seems marvellous.  The twist being that at G8 you have to do them from memory, which might come as a shock if you worked your way up the syllabus on the 'not from memory' option!

G7 technical - looks tricky but quite good fun - weird intervals and chromatic stuff.  G8 technical - bonkers alternative fingering study which would make my head explode trying not to default to 'normal' fingering; and an extended techniques study involving tremolo, flutter-tounging, labium vibrato and humming while playing (erm, not all at the same time!)  That :thunk: you hear is me falling over :P

Reading skills - this is the clapping exercises.  G7, OK, tricky rhythms but reckon doable with practice.  G8 - you're given the opening bar in 4/4, you do the next bit in 5/4, then 3/8, then 3/4.  Or it's in 6/16.  Or 9/4.  Or 7/8.  I know you'd be able to work on these, but definitely more :thunk: territory for me.

Listening skills - well, the singing option isn't an option for me, so I'd take the duet option.  Which actually I think would be nice :)

I think it's an interesting syllabus because it's familiar in some respects but so different to the 'usual' in others.