#4036 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 23 April 2020 - 15:51

Hurrah - things are looking up in the Grumpy household: the Moeck Renaissance tenor has finally arrived.  Actually, not that long ago I wasn't sure it was going to come at all in the foreseeable future, so not too bad really.  Now for the frustrating part, as the instructions say 5 mins per day for the first week, then 10, then 15  :(  It speeds up after that, building to an hour by week 6.  I haven't had a chance to blow a note yet, but it looks good and it's lovely and light, plus the hole spacing is quite comfortable, so all seems promising. 

Hope everyone still well and coping with it all.  I read in the paper this morning that there was no evidence of transmission of coronavirus via shopping, so I went straight out and stocked up on a few essentials: beer, wine, whiskey, scones, croissants, crisps and cheese.  At this rate, the comfort eating will get me before the virus does.

#4037 anacrusis

anacrusis

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5529 posts
  • Member: 4852
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 23 April 2020 - 17:50

aw, o_a_g, I'm glad you have your tenor - what wood is it? I've heard so many conflicting chunks of advice about blowing in over the years, that I'm afraid I no longer do it by exact numbers of minutes, but sort of more by feel. One player used to say that as long as one never played a new instrument til it went hoarse, it was okay, others are very much more anxious (maybe they've had the bad experiences). I do know that it depends in part on the wood - the denser ones being more prone to cracking (and of course that makes it a more expensive mistake, too :o ) . I've also seen advice on not pushing the higher registers too early, though still haven't read anything convincing to explain why. Jacqueline only gave me one bit of advice on blowing in - play with your best sound from the start, not too hesitantly or softly, to help the instrument to settle into the timbre you want from it. She told me I wasn't blowing the wonderful stash of instruments she'd brought along hard enough... though I was feeling shy, knowing the calibre of player she usually builds for....

I've made a few cloth masks as the advice has slowly been changing, and after a very long break from work am now starting negotiations to get back - the landscape in GP-land has done a double somersault and I'm slightly anxious about what work is going to look like. The pace of home life has been very therapeutic, and the sunshine and cherry blossom are also good for my mood, though it's a weird feeling when being out and about - like the first week of the summer holidays when everyone's gone off to somewhere else... 

#4038 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 24 April 2020 - 07:08

Wonderful, OaG, keep us posted about your tenor and enjoy your essential supplies! It's difficult these days with essentials: I couldn't get my favourite chocolate in the shops, so I went online, but the Mindy shop has a minimum order of £20, so I *had to* order lots of chocolate! No I have to eat it all while it's fresh, of course.

All my best wishes for your return to work, anacrusis. I hope all goes well with you and your patients. Incidentally, Screwfix sells (or used to) good safety glasses for 9.90. Better than nothing, perhaps.

#4039 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 08:41

I'm glad you have your tenor - what wood is it?

after a very long break from work am now starting negotiations to get back - the landscape in GP-land has done a double somersault and I'm slightly anxious about what work is going to look like.

Thanks!  The wood is maple but stained quite dark so it almost looks like ebony.  There is no choice, that's all they offer, perhaps so a consort of them would all look the same.  It's probably not a big seller either.  I do usually cheat a bit on the playing in - advice varies a lot and 5 mins seems unusually circumspect.  I'll probably stick to under 10 mins in week 1 and see how it goes.  And as AdLibitum also says, hope all goes well with return to work.

It's difficult these days with essentials: I couldn't get my favourite chocolate in the shops, so I went online, but the Mindy shop has a minimum order of £20, so I *had to* order lots of chocolate! No I have to eat it all while it's fresh, of course.

Essential supplies are indeed tricky things, so good luck with the chocolate :)  I had a brief chat with the driver who brought the parcel yesterday.  Often drivers don't bring things to the house, they leave them at the petrol station on the main road or at the shop in town, but he said the shops won't take things nowadays so he has to take everything to its destination and it's taking him almost twice as long, plus there are lots more things to deliver - he said it was like Christmas.  I do hope people like him get better pay when this is done.

#4040 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 24 April 2020 - 14:31

Congrats on the new addition OaG - I bet that made you non-grumpy for a bit!!!!!! We've had fantastic drivers here, too. It's pretty rural. The nearest shops are quite a distance. Our nearest neighbour is a horse. :lol:

@anacrusis - I hope the return is a pleasant one. Re masks - there's a paper by Anna Davies (University of Cambridge) et al written in 2003, I think it was. They looked at the efficacy of various materials. It's quite interesting. Cynic that I am, I never believed the 'no need for masks' thing as the Chinese were insistent on them. However, I didn't actually do much except buy some elastic recently... I wish I had taken shares in elastic as it looks like it might go the same route as hand-wash. Anyway, if we ever venture out again, I thought we might be expected to don masks so I've got ready for the eventuality.

As for the rest. We've run out of chocolate. I've lost weight. I can't play the recorder as I've split my thumb. Again.

I wish I'd taken shares in plasters and iodine as well...

But my very best wishes to you all!!!! Take the best of care of yourselves and keep on playing!!!

#4041 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 24 April 2020 - 15:47

Zixi, I hope your thumb heals soon. Those splits can be horribly, horribly painful (and they don't make washing up easy either).

OaG, congratulations! Enjoy your new tenor!

Anacrusis, I hope the return goes well, and isn't too stressful. Although the ways we interact with GPs have changed, our basic dependence on a trustable GP hasn't. I worry at the moment that too many people will be avoiding taking things to their GP that they really ought. 

I am being too disorganised, the house is a tip, and I have lost volume 2 of Van Eyck, which is Not Good News.

#4042 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 17:30

Zixi, Lindt has a nice online shop...

#4043 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 08:46

I couldn't get my favourite chocolate in the shops, so I went online, but the Mindy shop has a minimum order of £20

I've never heard of Mindy chocolate and in an idle moment (I have some of those at the moment) I looked them up online.  The first thing that came up was Mindy's chef-led artisan range of cannabis-infused goodies.  Their infused chocolate and peanut brittle sounds great - I wonder if they deliver to Ireland???

Congrats on the new addition OaG - I bet that made you non-grumpy for a bit!!!!!!

I can't play the recorder as I've split my thumb. Again.

But my very best wishes to you all!!!! Take the best of care of yourselves and keep on playing!!!

Well, it made me a bit less grumpy - at least for an hour or so :)

Sorry about your thumb and playing: I really think it's playing recorder that's keeping me sane at the moment.  Maybe you should try reverting to the days when you could play with either hand at the top.

And thanks for the good wishes.  Seconded.

#4044 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 10:13

so I *had to* order lots of chocolate! No I have to eat it all while it's fresh, of course.

You'd get on well with us! :lol: Thanks for the Lindt tip!!!! I've just spent £33 on toffees so I think I'll have to hang on in there for a bit! Perhaps...

OaG - My brain is definitely not wired to swap hands even though I can do a lot of things with both but I'm *still* not sure which is my left and which is my right!

I'm glad the tenor has brought some happiness. When I played in wooden ones I took it gently, staying with the lower octave for a bit and using slow pieces. That way I got to hear what it sounded like before I pushed it. I use Skyrim for sanity... as I can't argue with all of the many organization in this reality which I now think are extremely silly I go there and clear up problems I can solve! But I do miss playing. I was still working on The Nightingale and enjoying it a great deal!

elemimele - houses have a tendency towards chaos I think! And a bit of disorganization is very understandable at the moment. It's a strange situation. Take care! Don't be too hard on yourself. ;) I have fun looking for things at this house which are in the other house many, many miles away... I don't find them, of course. But I still search...  :lol:

#4045 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 11:11

OaG, I typed Lindt and didn't notice the autocorrect changed it to Mindy! :D

Zixi, enjoy your toffees. :)

Elemimele, if you saw the state of my house you'd definitely feel better about yours!

#4046 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 11:18

OaG, I typed Lindt and didn't notice the autocorrect changed it to Mindy! :D

I believe you!  Probably :)

#4047 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 12:14

Hey man, it's the cannabis flavour that does it... :lol:

#4048 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 11:40

So, it turns out that along with the split in my thumb there was also a splinter. Mr Z removed the culprit and hey ho, I feel much better... so I'm going to play myself in. Which brings me to my point. What kinds of music do you play when you're not at 100% efficiency? Actual pieces named would be nice!

#4049 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6866 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 26 April 2020 - 12:39

When not 100% for any reason - very familiar pieces which I like.  So for me, Bigaglia Sonata in A minor is a default piece, as is the Siciliano (2nd mvt) from Bach 1031, and the final movement of Telemann Fantasia 11.  All happen to be exams pieces that I played to extreme familiarity, and I find they aren't at all stressful and they always forgive me when I make mistakes.  I think it's because I like them (and so enjoy playing them) and the familiarity means it's often surprisingly close in memory (as in, my ears-brain-fingers system knows where to go next even while my eyes-brains-fingers system is flailing wildly).  It's also easy to hear mistakes, which is oddly comforting - I'm not trying something new and unfamiliar and so there's no fear that I'm doing it all wrong but with no clue that's the case!  I suppose it also makes it easy to judge just how not-100% I am - if I'm stumbling on these, then I need more gentle stuff, but if these are working then maybe I can try something tougher.

Speaking of extreme familiarity, Pachelbel's Canon in D.  I'm pretty sure I last played it for GCSE music in 1992, but one way or another I played the thing in a concert each year at secondary school.  First year on the cello, every other time on tenor except for that GCSE music on the treble (all recorder versions were the SAAT arrangement)

Thing is...thing is, all these people putting videos online, where they play all the parts thanks to a clever app.  Yeah, I'm getting strange ideas...(it'd have to be SAAGb, though; or maybe SATGb :))  (I'm also pretty sure it'd never be for public display...!)

#4050 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 14:07

Likewise, I fall back on old favourites.  Not in Maizie's league I'm afraid.  Doen Daphne because it was the first "proper" piece I did.  I also like Paul's Steeple and Faronell's Ground though I can't play either at breakneck speed.  Other things more variable