Photo

clarinet embouchure strenghtened by flute?

clarinet flute reeds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dcvos

dcvos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Member: 461632
  • Netherlands, near Utrecht

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:16

The last years I used a vandoren v12 2,5. the traditional 2,5 was too hard and the 2 was too light. The v12 are a little lighter than the traditionals. Sometimes I try out different reeds and strengths but I always come back too v12, 2,5  because others are too hard or too light. In December I tried out different reeds again,  v21 and 56 and a trad 2,5. They were too hard for me, but I saved them for maybe future use. The last week I found that my reeds v12  didn't last as long as usual. A member of my wind band said she moved to harder strength reed so I thought maybe it's time to try again a harder reed. So I bought a v12 3 and a trad 2,5. And they were playing easily this time. I also tried out the v21 and the 56 and these sounded right too. So since Christmas   my embouchure has changed.

It is also since Christmas that I took up flute again. Could this have helped to strengthen my embouchure?

#2 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 13 February 2017 - 15:12

The last years I used a vandoren v12 2,5. the traditional 2,5 was too hard and the 2 was too light. The v12 are a little lighter than the traditionals. Sometimes I try out different reeds and strengths but I always come back too v12, 2,5  because others are too hard or too light. In December I tried out different reeds again,  v21 and 56 and a trad 2,5. They were too hard for me, but I saved them for maybe future use. The last week I found that my reeds v12  didn't last as long as usual. A member of my wind band said she moved to harder strength reed so I thought maybe it's time to try again a harder reed. So I bought a v12 3 and a trad 2,5. And they were playing easily this time. I also tried out the v21 and the 56 and these sounded right too. So since Christmas   my embouchure has changed.
It is also since Christmas that I took up flute again. Could this have helped to strengthen my embouchure?

I think your embouchure has strengthened a bit : it will as you get more experienced. The likelihood is that it will eventually settle - in over twenty years I've changed mouthpiece/reed setup twice - and both were relatively minor changes - went to a Rovner Light ligature about a year ago, and tried and liked Vandoren 56 rue Lepic reeds soon after Vandoren introduced them.

I don't think your flute playing will have had much of an impact clarinet embouchure wise, to be honest. Some will say clarinet playing will affect flute playing adversely and vice versa, but I don't believe it.

#3 dcvos

dcvos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Member: 461632
  • Netherlands, near Utrecht

Posted 13 February 2017 - 15:46

I guess it is gradually strengthened and has now reach the point that I notice it. It just happened at the same time I started the flute again.

#4 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:17

I guess it is gradually strengthened and has now reach the point that I notice it. It just happened at the same time I started the flute again.

I think that's just a coincidence, yes :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clarinet, flute, reeds