Photo

Constant water in keys after a short while of playing (Clarinet)

clarinet water in keys water bubble

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Member: 63311

Posted 28 November 2015 - 21:45

In addition to my post a couple of weeks ago regarding my clarinet of around 18 months old playing flat, there's another issue i've become aware of.  The C sharp/G sharp key seems to have a constant water bubble in it.  Yesterday after practising for only around 15 - 20 minutes, the water bubble appeared and no amount of blowing it out or blotting with papers got rid of it.  I had to take the clarinet apart and use the pull-through a couple of times.  Now this would be absolutely no use if i'm playing in a concert or doing a solo etc.  "Can we stop for two minutes until i get my pull-through?!  Sorry everyone!"  I'm not a particularly "wet" player and seldom have lots of drips.  I've never experienced this before with my two previous clarinets, nor my trusty old Boosey & Hawkes that i sometimes play.  This clarinet in question is a Buffet RC.  I can't see how this could be a fault with the clarinet.  I did change my mouthpiece to a Vandoren B45 13 when i bought the clarinet, but again i wouldn't imagine it's got anything to do with this.  Some of the other keys get wet too after a short while, namely the speaker key, the open G sharp and the A key.  I did a little research online and read in some woodwind forums advice on using bore oil to steer the drips away from particular keys, and also using sweet almond oil above the holes in question inside the bore.  I think this would be quite fiddly.  I've been playing clarinet now for around 26 years to professional standard so i'm not a beginner blowing mouthfuls of saliva down it (apologies to those eating and reading this).

Like i say, only very occasionally had this issue with my last clarinet which was a Buffet E11.  I couldn't imagine doing any exams or recitals on this current one, expensive as it was.

Anyone else have this problem?  

#2 Maruja

Maruja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Member: 629271

Posted 29 November 2015 - 16:48

I can't help, but a friend of mine had a similar issue with an expensive Tosca - and almost wished she hadn't bought it.  I don't know how she dealt with the problem, sadly.

#3 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 29 November 2015 - 16:54

I don't know the answer but the C#/G# key is where a bubble is more likely than most other places.

Some days mine seems to get blocked quicker for some reason.

#4 Maruja

Maruja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Member: 629271

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:31

Just a couple of things on this...

my teacher says (and she was a profi...)

pull the joints apart very quickly and have a good shake out. You do need a couple of bars rest for this!

Also, for when I staccato I get lots of spit and wet and she says to make sure you get rid of it all before you start. So I have a good swallow before I start anything that has staccato. Legato there does not seem to be a problem.

#5 Leese

Leese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Member: 893086
  • SE London

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:49

I have exactly the same problem with my RC, also affecting the G#/A throat tones as well as the C#/G#. Drives me nuts. It's not a problem I had on my old Leblanc. Or any other, come to think of it.

#6 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Member: 63311

Posted 01 December 2015 - 14:16

I have exactly the same problem with my RC, also affecting the G#/A throat tones as well as the C#/G#. Drives me nuts. It's not a problem I had on my old Leblanc. Or any other, come to think of it.

That's interesting you are experiencing the same issue with your RC too....  Hmmm, kind of wishing now i'd opted for the R13 but i liked the tone of the RC when i was in London trying different ones out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clarinet, water in keys, water bubble