#1 ReadingTeacher

ReadingTeacher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 893704

Posted 20 October 2019 - 17:49

Hello all,

This is a re-post as I'm not sure if the "Theory Thread" is as active as this one:

I have query about the ‘model answer’ for the 2018 Grade 5 Theory (Paper A) - Question 6(e). The question asks for candidate to rewrite 2 bars from Mozart Sonata (4/4 time) using notes and rests that are TWICE the value and to put the new time signature in.

The query is on the ‘beaming’ convention of the model answer:

In 4/2 time, where notes and rests have been grouped into crotchets instead of minims as is usually the case.

A few teachers and I assumed that the answer mirrored the groupings of the original extract where notes and rests were grouped in quaver beats despite 4/4 time signature (probably to reflect phrasing).
My question is whether a candidate will still get full marks if he/she had beamed the notes to reflect 4 minim beats in the solution of 4/2 time.

Thanks in advance for your responses! 

(I'm trying to work out how to post a photo of the question, as it would really simplify this query for all - but I am technologically challenge and can't seem to work out how to do this - Sorry!).

#2 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1375 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 20 October 2019 - 19:09

Hello all,
This is a re-post as I'm not sure if the "Theory Thread" is as active as this one:

I have query about the ‘model answer’ for the 2018 Grade 5 Theory (Paper A) - Question 6(e). The question asks for candidate to rewrite 2 bars from Mozart Sonata (4/4 time) using notes and rests that are TWICE the value and to put the new time signature in.

The query is on the ‘beaming’ convention of the model answer:
In 4/2 time, where notes and rests have been grouped into crotchets instead of minims as is usually the case.
A few teachers and I assumed that the answer mirrored the groupings of the original extract where notes and rests were grouped in quaver beats despite 4/4 time signature (probably to reflect phrasing).
My question is whether a candidate will still get full marks if he/she had beamed the notes to reflect 4 minim beats in the solution of 4/2 time.

Thanks in advance for your responses! 
(I'm trying to work out how to post a photo of the question, as it would really simplify this query for all - but I am technologically challenge and can't seem to work out how to do this - Sorry!).

Here you go:
"Question 6(e) Rewrite bar 2 using notes and a rest of twice the value. Remember to put in the time signature."
V7Qre5V.jpg

Model Answer 2Un6qk8.jpg

The actual Mozart autograph beams as per the question:
jXkyOlK.jpg

There is nothing in the ABRSM marking criteria that specifically mentions beaming.  It says candidates should "conform to standards of good notational practice" and, for example, Taylor (The AB Guide to Music Theory) says for 4/4 time "notes shorter than quavers are beamed together in beats" and "beams may be continued over rests occurring in a group of quavers or shorter notes". It goes on, when referring to other time signatures such as 4/2, "the conventions about groupings are unchanged when the equivalent time signatures are used." 

So I agree that it's not clear if a candidate would be penalised.  I guess it comes down to how important Mozart's groupings are to the phrasing such that beaming otherwise changes the meaning of the music in such a way that is no longer "good notational practice" with respect to the context of the music.

#3 -Victoria-

-Victoria-

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Member: 95535

Posted 20 October 2019 - 21:46

I'm pretty certain the candidate would not lose any points for beaming in minim groups. As long as the notation makes sense they should get the marks - it's not an interpretation question - it's more about arithmetic really.

#4 ReadingTeacher

ReadingTeacher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 893704

Posted 20 October 2019 - 23:52

Thank you very much Lignio and Victoria.