maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19953 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:43

As custodian of a rather splendid willow tree, I send much sympathy on the loss of yours, Aquarelle. Ours has somehow taken on quite a significance over the past 18 months or so, and I would be very sorry indeed if we were to lose it. 

On a more practical note, brilliant that your electrician / plumber was available so promptly, and I echo what Misterioso wrote in the previous post! 

#20192 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7845 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:45

Thank you Misterioso and Maggiemay. I turned on the last circuit this morning and - wonderful! Everything works!  Yes Monsieur T. my electrician/plumber/handyman is a great fellow. I am very grateful to have him and dread his retirement.

I didn't know you had a willow Maggie and I can well understand your attachment to it. Ours had leaves which, when the wind blew and they turned upwards were all silvery and it grew those lovely little grey pussy catkins which I think mean it was a female. I shall miss it. It was a wild tree and when we first moved here there were 2 very young, slender ones which the builders said were rubbish trees! Well one had to go in order for the other to have enough space so we took out the smaller one and the bigger grew and flourished for 30 years. The little birds are still trying to roost in it even though it's on its side. When the mess is all cleared up I will think about planting another tree but haven't decided what kind.

#20193 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5989 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 06 November 2019 - 18:54

Dear Person with Heavy Cold,

You may think you are being heroic going to choir / work / music lessons / other when you are sick, but please spare a thought for those of us who are immuno-compromised and are unable to fight off the germs you spread around. Stay home! I am glad for your sake that you probably get paid when you take time off sick, but if you make me sick, I don't get paid, and have to cancel lessons in the run-up to AB exams. I am instructed by my consultant to take all reasonable precautions to avoid getting colds, but I can't do this if you don't. It really doesn't do me any good to have to stop medication because you don't think about other people.  

Regards, Misterioso

This is directed to the bass who sat beside my husband at choir last night, and transferred some hefty germs across, which were then brought home to me, but applies equally to anyone who wanders around when they really ought to be confining themselves to their own home. I am already headachy, snuffly and beginning to feel unwell as a result, and seriously hoping the preventative steps I have taken will be enough to stop things getting any worse. 

Grrrrr.  :(  

#20194 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2849 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:27

You may think you are being heroic going to choir / work / music lessons / other when you are sick, but please spare a thought for those of us who are immuno-compromised and are unable to fight off the germs you spread around. Stay home! I am glad for your sake that you probably get paid when you take time off sick, but if you make me sick, I don't get paid, and have to cancel lessons in the run-up to AB exams. I am instructed by my consultant to take all reasonable precautions to avoid getting colds, but I can't do this if you don't. It really doesn't do me any good to have to stop medication because you don't think about other people.  

Regards, Misterioso

This is directed to the bass who sat beside my husband at choir last night, and transferred some hefty germs across, which were then brought home to me, but applies equally to anyone who wanders around when they really ought to be confining themselves to their own home. I am already headachy, snuffly and beginning to feel unwell as a result, and seriously hoping the preventative steps I have taken will be enough to stop things getting any worse. 

I feel your pain.

I'm waiting in for a parcel, and although my husband is in I don't really want him to see it as it'll be obvious what it is, and it's his Christmas present! But I need to go out and see to the sheep, as well as do some shopping, and I've done all my in the house jobs. UPS has unhelpfully given me a delivery window of the whole day!

#20195 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2849 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:28

Iwent out this morning and the whole county appears to be under water!

#20196 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 09 November 2019 - 12:30

Regards, Misterioso

This. All of it. It disgusts me that people only love money and have no principles. 

#20197 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3752 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 09 November 2019 - 13:21

Bit of a sweeping statement,thara.

#20198 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3781 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 09 November 2019 - 15:02

Turned up to a railway station to find my train cancelled.

Now got a 42 minute wait for the next train which seems to be additionally stopping as this station only gets an hourly service.

I'll be able to claim for the delay and get compensated but it's still very frustrating especially given that the weather is pretty miserable.

#20199 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2849 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:52

Just seems to be a lot of aaarghs lately! Last year we sang at a stately home about thirty miles away. Our 'fee' was that we all got in for free, and could all bring a guest. We did this on two occasions. So we readily agreed to sing again this Christmas, only to be informed by our chair last night that not only are there no free tickets, but they're not paying us either. We're singing outside (which we never agree to do to) as people approach the ticket barrier. I'd never have said yes if I'd known this was the arrangement, and I really don't want to go. But I know it's horrible being responsible for these sorts of things in a group so I don't want to make a fuss. But why would I want to spend money getting there to support a wealthy commercial organisation when there's absolutely nothing in it for the chorus? It'll cost me to do these rich people a favour. Makes no sense. Why did she agree to it? Aaargh!

#20200 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4943 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:08

BJG that's outrageous and I'm surprised that a forthright lady like you has any qualms about refusal to these terms and making the reasons perfectly plain.
Presumably they are not even paying travelling expenses?
Will they give you coffee and cake?
Sticking you outside as though you are one of the horses?
Not on your Nelly.

#20201 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4664 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:15

Banjogirl, I'd suggest to the MD that the choir makes them a counter offer. Coffee and cakes being your fee. No cake, no show.

Or 45p per mile (HMRC) x 60 mile return trip x the number of choir members attending = lots of new music for the choir! :)

#20202 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2849 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:03

It is really, really odd. I don't understand why it's been agreed to. If I'd been organising it I'd have said no as soon I realised the proposal was not the same as last year. I'm glad you don't think I'm insane for finding it unreasonable! I will compose a very polite letter to our chair woman checking that I've got the facts right (I know that I have, but, well, better to be sure...!). I am indeed forthright, but I don't want to upset anyone.

#20203 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:09

Perhaps they assume you will put a collection bucket out but in that case you would need a very large sign indicating that the choir are receiving no fee from the commercial company. Also 30 miles is excessive for just "busking". 

Put it this way - you wouldn't get a brass band agreeing to it !!!

#20204 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4664 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:11

I've just done the calculations - my that is alot of money! :o Or what about singing free locally, like collecting money for a homeless charity? Actually, that's given me an idea - that's something I'd like to do with my lot. :)

#20205 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1275 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:18

Your negative feelings are completely justified, Banjogirl. There has to be a good reason to go 30 miles, not just standing in the rain outside a ticket-barrier. I wouldn't do it. There must be somewhere less distant where you can sing in more appreciative circumstances.