dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 02 August 2020 - 16:23

I haven't practised these much as previous attempts were so frustrating. But I really want to learn a particular piece,(Betty Paret's "Deep in the Forest" from her Book 2) which has a whole line of them so I started having a determined attempt this week. And, yoohoo! I've suddenly got the feel and they're beginning to come out with some consistency.

Hopefully a temporary measure - I marked strategic black and red strings at the sweet point with a dot of Tippex - probably sacrilege! ????

Also, I found out accidentally that plucking the string with the top outside corner of my thumbnail gives a lovely clear ring - do others do that?

#2 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Germany

Posted 02 August 2020 - 16:31

The end of my post had a question that disappeared.
I find that if I pluck the harmonic with the top corner of my thumbnail, I get a much nicer ringing sound than using the finger pad. Is this usually done?

#3 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 05 August 2020 - 09:17

Congratulations on your harmonics!

I was taught to use the finger pad.

Regarding string markings, my teacher says there's no shame in marking strings. :)

#4 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Germany

Posted 05 August 2020 - 13:29

Thanks AdLib tho' I think congratulations may be a bit premature! But it does sound lovely when it happens. Yes, I've only seen harmonics done with the finger pad, which was also how my teacher showed me a while ago. Will see what she thinks of my strategies on Friday!

#5 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Germany

Posted 09 August 2020 - 15:35

My Tippex marks were not greeted with howls of anguish! Rather, she suggested putting them where the fingerpad pulls, rather than the mid- point where the heel of the hand goes. Hand shape as if lightly holding a tennis ball. Make sure to relax hand in between each stroke. Was told have patience - nothing new there!

#6 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 16:14

Good! :D

#7 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1576 posts
  • Germany

Posted 12 September 2020 - 08:38

"Here today and gone tomorrow" as my mum used to say. Sums up my harmonics!

#8 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:56

Now you hear them, now you don't sums up mine!

#9 Pickle

Pickle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Member: 578811

Posted 25 September 2020 - 19:12

I was at a workshop with the wonderful Anne MacDearmid where we were working on a piece with L.H. harmonics, which were flummoxing some folks. She came out with the brilliant comment "A harmonic should sound like a thing of beauty - not spent knicker elastic". It was about 10 mins before we could all stop laughing and get on with the piece.

Changing the height of the seat you are on can alter your perception of where the harmonic spot is (unless you have marked it - which works fine until you change key :lol: ). And until you are confident with them, play them fortissimo, no matter what the music says! A tentatively sounded harmonic stands a good chance of creating the aforementioned lingerie problem type sound, rather than the sweet ringing and celestial tone the composer was probably thinking of.