RPassacaglia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Member: 894857
  • UK

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:27

For those of you with websites:

I have a website and frequently it is the case that I get enquiries via my contact form or by email, which seem genuine but then when I respond, and even offer a time, I never hear back from them again. Don’t get me wrong, this doesn’t happen all the time, and I have gained most of my clients over the past few years through my website. But the non responders are frequent enough that I wonder what’s going on. I don’t know if they have even received my email reply, and can’t tell if it has gone into their spam folders. Sometimes I do get someone contacting me again because it turns out my reply did go into their junk folder the first time. However, I’m pretty sure this isn’t happening every time someone just doesn’t reply. I have tried sending from different email addresses, and get the same problem. If someone doesn’t reply, I usually follow up a week later saying that I suspect my email might have gone to their junk folder, and if I don’t hear from them again I leave it. But I’m not sure what else to do. Maybe they didn’t receive the follow up email either. How can I tell whether they’ve received it or are just not bothering to reply? What do you do if you don’t get a response to your email, if the original enquiry seems very genuine? It’s quite frustrating especially when the enquiry is coming from someone who seems like they would be a really good new student.

#2 Piano Meg

Piano Meg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Member: 271350
  • T' North

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:37

I tend to just leave it - as if they're having problems receiving my email at that point, it's likely to be a recurring problem, and I tend to do most of my pupil communication by email (where possible). I suspect though, that the majority of the time, they have either found someone else or they've actually read the information on my website and decided they're not interested after all (looking for someone with current availability or cheaper or willing to travel to their home etc). 

If you need the pupils, you could add a phone number requirement to the info form, so you can send them a text instead. That way you can also see if it's arrived.

#3 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1414 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 30 October 2019 - 13:13

I just leave it - they have probably been put off by the fact I can't help them immediately or else expected to just be able to "pay as you go" for lessons.

#4 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1809 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 30 October 2019 - 17:52

I suspect some people email several teachers at once and just go with the one they like the best.  It's rare for someone to come back and say "thanks for your information but I've found someone else".  I have a standard reply now which I cut-and-paste and I don't hold my breath waiting for a reply.

#5 bevpiano

bevpiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Member: 7837
  • hertfordshire

Posted 30 October 2019 - 18:24

I've had a couple who've got back and said they did contact several teachers at once and, as we're not the nearest, they'll get back to us if nearer ones don't work out.

#6 JimD

JimD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Member: 159407
  • Washington UK

Posted 30 October 2019 - 20:26

If you have your own domain name on your email address, most of the big email providers (microsoft, gmail etc) will treat it as spam automatically.

I've jumped through all sorts of hoops with my own website and the best I've achieved is to get into peoples' spam folders; once they accept the first email as 'not spam' subsequent ones will usually get through. The default is to have emails from unknown domains rejected immediately by the gmail (or whichever) servers.

The best bet if you want to be sure your emails get through is to forget about using one with your own domain and just take out a gmail address (it's free)..

#7 RPassacaglia

RPassacaglia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • UK

Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:12

If you have your own domain name on your email address, most of the big email providers (microsoft, gmail etc) will treat it as spam automatically.

I've jumped through all sorts of hoops with my own website and the best I've achieved is to get into peoples' spam folders; once they accept the first email as 'not spam' subsequent ones will usually get through. The default is to have emails from unknown domains rejected immediately by the gmail (or whichever) servers.

The best bet if you want to be sure your emails get through is to forget about using one with your own domain and just take out a gmail address (it's free)..

Yes, this is exactly what I was concerned about. I do have an email address with my own domain, because I thought it would look more professional than the free email addresses. I have had a few people confirm that my emails have ended up in their spam folders, so I wonder if it is a combination of this and things that the other posters suggested. I have been concerned about this for some time and it has left me wondering what was the point in going to all that trouble and expense getting an email address on my own domain.

I have free email addresses too, so I will try using them and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

#8 tangoallegro

tangoallegro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Member: 898194

Posted 31 October 2019 - 13:51

I have a free email address from Outlook and have found that my first email does still end up in people’s junk folder. You could put a note on your website explaining to mark your email address as ‘safe’ to ensure your response doesn't end up in the junk folder. I have seen this done when ordering from online shops eg for updates mark [email protected] as safe. 

#9 RPassacaglia

RPassacaglia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • UK

Posted 31 October 2019 - 14:48

I have a free email address from Outlook and have found that my first email does still end up in people’s junk folder. You could put a note on your website explaining to mark your email address as ‘safe’ to ensure your response doesn't end up in the junk folder. I have seen this done when ordering from online shops eg for updates mark [email protected] as safe.

Oh that’s a shame that your emails from a free email address still end up in people’s junk folders. I’ve had a note on my website for a while now asking people to check their junk folders for any replies, but I haven’t included the instruction to mark my email address as safe, so maybe I should try that too, to help prevent my emails from going to spam in the first place. Good idea, thank you.

#10 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3749 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:10

I check my junk e mail very regularly as so many genuine ones do go there. I would have thought that anyone awaiting an e mail which doesn't come eg reply from music teacher, would do the same.

#11 RPassacaglia

RPassacaglia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • UK

Posted 31 October 2019 - 18:59

I check my junk e mail very regularly as so many genuine ones do go there. I would have thought that anyone awaiting an e mail which doesn't come eg reply from music teacher, would do the same.

I would have thought more people would check too, but apparently not everyone does. I’ve had people come back to me saying they never got a reply from me, and I’ve pointed out that I did reply and maybe they should check their junk folder. They’ve then gone on to have a look in their junk folder and found the reply I was referring to. So, some people need reminding.

#12 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1414 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 31 October 2019 - 21:54

It's a good idea to make a note on your contact form about the junk folder and marking as safe- I am going to amend mine.

#13 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1385 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 01 November 2019 - 05:13

I hardly ever look in my junk folder, certainly not routinely, and never think to do so unless someone reminds me!

#14 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2836 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 01 November 2019 - 08:28

I check my junk folder every morning, as I've found that nearly all of my website enquiries go there.