Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 28 October 2019 - 12:42

From a teacher's perspective, which of the titular sight-reading methods seem to suit learners with particular sight-reading needs, or are they much of a muchness?

#2 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1422 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 28 October 2019 - 12:47

I use both but generally think Improve your Sight reading is better thought out. I use JTD for extra practice (lots of key work.)

The only thing I don't like about Improve Your SR is the tiny font it is printed in - particularly at the higher grade books.

#3 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7850 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 28 October 2019 - 17:21

I have tried both of these but prefer the Blitz books.

#4 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 28 October 2019 - 20:50

What is better about Blitz?

#5 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 29 October 2019 - 07:22

My own preference is for Sight Reading Success - lots of hints and tips, plus the free CDs mean that pupils can practise sight reading at home in a meaningful way by checking their work against accurate performances.

#6 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:27

I love Sight Reading Success too, but it stops (for piano) at Grade 5. I've got lots of different books and they all help in their own way.

#7 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7850 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 10:18

What is better about Blitz?

What I find is better is that it doesn't just give a series of little pieces to sight read and it doesn't just give reading practice in different keys. It aims to take a more general approach to the problem of reading. There are rhythmic exercises to tap, random notes to read, practice in chord recognition and also, of course pieces to practise. I find it a more "whole" approach. I use it in lesson time only working with the pupil but that isn't the only way a teacher could use the books. Alongside it I also use the AB specimen Tests so that not only do they get a wider base for their reading but they also get to know which parts of that base need to be applied to the test. None of my sight readers are perfect but since I have been working like this I have seen a lot of improvement;

May I add that with very young beginners using the Piano Adventures Primer and Level 1 books the accompanying sight reading books are absolutely brilliant.

#8 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2843 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 01 November 2019 - 15:39

I've just seen how expensive the Blitz Sight reading books are!!

#9 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2019 - 16:39

At this stage I'm near enough ready to spend anything to try to improve my sight reading from its current sub-grade 1 standard! :(

#10 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7850 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 17:48

Yes, I agree that they are expensive but they are good value for money. I haven't asked any parents to buy them yet. I have my own copies and I use them only in lesson time  - but then I'm inclined to believe that at least up to Grade 3 pupils get more out of working on SR with me in lesson time than at home, unless they have a parent or sibling who can help.

#11 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2843 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:59

I have an adult pupil who uses Improve Your Sight Reading by Paul Harris at home and is working through the grades. He finds them very useful and his sight reading has definitely improved. 

#12 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1813 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:00

I also use Improve Your Sight Reading for Grade 1-5 and I find these books have a higher success rate in terms of pupils actually using them!  The increase in difficulty is very gradual, there are plenty of exercises at each stage and I do the rhythm examples in lessons together with the pupil.

#13 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:19

I have an adult pupil who uses Improve Your Sight Reading by Paul Harris at home and is working through the grades. He finds them very useful and his sight reading has definitely improved. 

I have this series books 1-3. Very diligently, I have been through the first book a few times (months apart each time) and book 2 a couple of times, but I would estimate any improvement to be so minimal as to be insignificant.  I tried Book 3, but the results are seriously laughable.

I've tried also sight reading a few hymns each day from good ol' Ancient & Modern, initially missing out the tenor line, to try to improve my interval recognition technique and get away from reading every note in a chord.

After my grade 3 exam, I concluded rhythm recognition was the issue and have practised hard daily to try to improve this.  Again, it doesn't appear to have made any difference at all.

After 3 years now it feels that I've not progressed at all with my sight reading so if there are alternative resources out there that may help someone like me I'd be grateful to know of them and anecdotes.

#14 ten left thumbs

ten left thumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Member: 454622

Posted 02 November 2019 - 12:39

After 3 years now it feels that I've not progressed at all with my sight reading so if there are alternative resources out there that may help someone like me I'd be grateful to know of them and anecdotes.

Do you have a teacher?

#15 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 02 November 2019 - 13:36

Do you have a teacher?

No.