Barry Williams

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • Member: 20603
  • Beddington, Surrey

Posted 26 March 2020 - 15:26

It is with great sadness that I report the death of Jennifer Bate. 

No doubt others will add comments, but her thorough and complete musicianship as an organist never failed to provide a thrilling and varied recital programme.  Her interpretations of Messiaen were favoured by the composer.  She took much trouble to encourage young organists, especially through her own summer school.  She was also a skilled linguist.

This is a sad loss indeed.

Barry Williams

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18057 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 26 March 2020 - 16:08

Sad indeed, I have all her Messaien recordings. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

#3 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1535 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 26 March 2020 - 19:52

Yes, a sad moment for me too, for odd reasons. She had a very good friend who was keen on amateur radio, but remarkably untalented when it came to putting up aerials. Every time there was a gale, they all blew over, and my father would make a trip to try to remedy the situation. We kids went along too, and, as well as rummaging through her friend's collection of dead electronic gadgetry, we met her a couple of times. We were small kids, they were off having boring adult talk, so I can't remember much. Only much later, when I took organ lessons myself and found out how wonderful is Messiaen did I realise I'd been in the presence of his greatest interpreter. That was what taught me that great musicians are also normal humans, with friends.

#4 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6676 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 26 March 2020 - 23:17

That's very sad. My OH received many organ lessons from H A Bate, and he played for our wedding back in the 1980s.  We went to her recital (possibly her last) at the Royal Festival Hall on the refurbished organ.

PS When looking for Jennifer's obituary, I found that of Julie Felix too who was 81 and died earlier this year (sorry slightly off topic) - so feel doubly sad now.