Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4938 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 05 November 2019 - 00:32

Autonomous sensory meridian response.
I've heard a fair bit about it lately, and even watched the lady towel-folder on YouTube a couple of times.
The people who do it for a living (whisper at you and pretend to fondle your shoulders across the web) tend not to 'do it' for me, but I do remember a few years back enjoying the relaxing, tingling response while in the office, and not being sure what was happening.
I'd be writing up reports in a quiet corner and the admin person at the next desk had a keyboard technique that had me closing my eyes and enjoying the soft intermittent clicks. Either that or her keyboard had just the right sort of sound.
If anyone else has experienced ASMR I'd love to know what did it for you!

#2 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 05 November 2019 - 13:39

Cutting mushrooms and scratching. But I think the whole thing is nonsense really. Some things make you feel nice. I can't really see why we need yet another acronym to describe it.

#3 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19948 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 05 November 2019 - 15:32

Bubble wrap ? 

#4 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6167 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 05 November 2019 - 16:45

Cat purring probably counts

#5 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1911 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 05 November 2019 - 23:13

I remember seeing a panellist on "Would I lie to you" say that he relaxed by watching somebody on Youtube wrap presents for half and hour.  The other panellists couldn't get their heads round it :lol:  I didn't realise it was called ASMR but the panellist was Joe Lycett and he describes the feeling at the end of this video clip:

https://www.youtube....h?v=vW0JpMn9VcU

#6 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4938 posts
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 05 November 2019 - 23:47

Thank you for posting the clip, hummingbird - it's helpful to have someone else describe the sensation which doesn't often happen, but is intensely pleasurable when it does.
Maybe banjogirl's bracing dismissal of the phenomenon indicates that it's something she has yet to experience; and bubble wrap, while popping it is fun, sounds a bit noisy.
A purring cat sounds like it might work.

I think the response can be defined as a tingling in the neck/scalp, a sense of having the psyche stroked. Sometimes triggered by someone giving you their concentrated, undivided attention and speaking in a quiet confidential tone. When it is happening you just want it to keep going!
I can't quite decide whether it would help in a teaching situation or if it would just hypnotize the student (assuming it is a skill one can acquire!)
I have experienced the sensation when my son was playing a video game that used a joystick (clicks again!) and when hearing ships on a distant river blowing their horns on foggy mornings when I was a child.
Maybe I am a bit odd but I hope someone else can share what they have felt and what caused it.

#7 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:24

It's not that I don't think it exists, I just don't like the facebookiness of it, and the faux-scientific name, one of many similar names that have been invented for getting a nice feeling from certain stimuli (GANFFCS :rofl:).

#8 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4938 posts
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 07 November 2019 - 20:04

Don't think I've seen anything about ASMR on FB, but then I'm allergic to FB!
I suppose there are fewer letters in ASMR than in GANFFCS, but at least it sn't an -osis, an -ism, an -itis (or even an -asm!) It's got nothing to do with 'mental health issues'. In fact it could almost be a therapy if it could be synthesized and bottled, instead of being taken by surprise with it.
It's harmless, pleasant and free of charge and there are no iffy moral issues with it. Yay!

#9 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6167 posts
  • Here

Posted 07 November 2019 - 20:25

I keep reading this as "ARSM what's your trigger"

(Oops, wrong thread)

#10 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6582 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 07 November 2019 - 23:10

When the typewriter servicing man came round the office to service the typewriters (pre-computer, and definitely pre-facebook). Again it featured little clicking or tapping and chinking sounds as he took them apart and brushed them clean.

#11 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6167 posts
  • Here

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:10

I don't know if the feeling I get when I hear a cat purring is ASMR or it's just psychological. I get all sleepy and happy. My ex-cat commandeered my pillow and would practically sleep on my head, and it was a great way to fall asleep.

#12 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:51

Sorry but what is ASMR? 

#13 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19948 posts
  • S E England

Posted 08 November 2019 - 14:13

Read the first post. 

#14 Edwardo

Edwardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Member: 4759
  • Gloucestershire

Posted 08 November 2019 - 19:10

Read the first post. 

That merely elucidates the initialism.  It doesn't explain what it is, though of course, as always, Google is one's friend (other less data-hungry search engines are available).

#15 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19948 posts
  • S E England

Posted 08 November 2019 - 19:32

Read the first post. 

That merely elucidates the initialism.  It doesn't explain what it is, though of course, as always, Google is one's friend (other less data-hungry search engines are available).

:-D True up to a point, but it’s a start.