susiejean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Member: 10392
  • Aberdeenshire

Posted 18 May 2018 - 17:44

My grade 8 is due to sit this session. I had to ask for week 4 because her violin teacher insisted she did her violin exam in week 3 and she's not available for a few dates in weeks 1 & 2. We are only just getting our heads round the aural (which I've to cover for the violin teacher as well). 1 of her pieces is just not quite there and her scales need work.

And guess what?

The ABRSM have given us week 1. Not even the end of week 1, but the Wed. 

She has 2 more lessons left. It couldn't be any worse. crying.gif

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3708 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 18 May 2018 - 17:52

Is this the girl who was struggling with one of her pieces? Maybe knowing the date will push her to get ready.How come the violin teacher gets the week she wants and not you?

#3 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2820 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 18 May 2018 - 18:05

You may be surprised. Perhaps she'll manage a lot of practice in these last couple of weeks and do okay. There are plenty of marks to be gained on the aural for the easier questions. Is it grade 8 on both instruments? Two exams in any term is a tall order. Ours only did it rarely and it was always fraught, but also always worked out ok in the end. Fingers crossed for you and your pupil!

#4 susiejean

susiejean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Aberdeenshire

Posted 18 May 2018 - 18:08

Don't know if the violin teacher has got the week he wants yet. I wanted to ask for week 3 as it's safer, but she said he'd insisted I didn't have it in the same week as the violin and it was set at week 3 as she's in with another grade 8 he teaches. Week the 3 was the only week the other girl could manage and they had to be together as the man who is accompanying is too busy. 

Yes, it is the one who was struggling, but she has come ok with it. She took on board all the suggestions. 

#5 susiejean

susiejean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Aberdeenshire

Posted 18 May 2018 - 18:09

You may be surprised. Perhaps she'll manage a lot of practice in these last couple of weeks and do okay. There are plenty of marks to be gained on the aural for the easier questions. Is it grade 8 on both instruments? Two exams in any term is a tall order. Ours only did it rarely and it was always fraught, but also always worked out ok in the end. Fingers crossed for you and your pupil!

2 grade 8's, yes. She's going to uni after this so has to do it now. And she's not quite finished her advanced highers yet.....................

#6 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2820 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 18 May 2018 - 18:12

Well at least the aurals are the same for both!

#7 susiejean

susiejean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Aberdeenshire

Posted 18 May 2018 - 20:43

My husbands exam violin date is in as well. His teacher asked for week 3 and he's ended up with 5th June. I get the feeling they don't have enough entries for 4 weeks up here this session.....................

#8 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3708 posts
  • Cotswolds

Posted 18 May 2018 - 21:03

So presumably your pupil' s violin exam could come that week too!

#9 ontheblackkeys

ontheblackkeys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Member: 895988

Posted 18 May 2018 - 21:08

I'm sorry Susiejean, I hope it all works out, despite the early date.

This is another reason I prefer Trinity - the dates are more concrete and are available well before entry, so you know exactly what you're dealing with and can plan accordingly.  Not helpful for you, I know (sorry) - I'm just relieved that Trinity make it easier to plan and I don't miss the lottery that is the AB date system.

#10 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7101 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 18 May 2018 - 23:11

If she wants a later date, is she able to travel further afield to do it at another centre?  Our local ABRSM centre rarely goes into a second week of exams (let alone a 4th!) so if people cannot do the week it's available then they have to go to one of the other centres in the region - and ABRSM does accommodate the changes where possible.  For comparision, Trinity does one day per year here, and the nearest LCM centre is around 2.5 hours away.  Our County Music Service gets a special visit done by Trinity each year (usually adjacent to the day at the public centre).

#11 susiejean

susiejean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Aberdeenshire

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:33

If she wants a later date, is she able to travel further afield to do it at another centre?  Our local ABRSM centre rarely goes into a second week of exams (let alone a 4th!) so if people cannot do the week it's available then they have to go to one of the other centres in the region - and ABRSM does accommodate the changes where possible.  For comparision, Trinity does one day per year here, and the nearest LCM centre is around 2.5 hours away.  Our County Music Service gets a special visit done by Trinity each year (usually adjacent to the day at the public centre).

The nearest centre would be Peterhead I suppose but I can't see them having much space. After that it's Dundee and it's 2 hours away.

#12 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6712 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:16

Good luck to all, and I hope it all works out.

Also, so relieved by the content of this thread because the title made me braced for something truly awful :D

#13 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3708 posts
  • Cotswolds

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:42

Yes, I get really stressed by exam complications but we ought to get things in perspective.

#14 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2211 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 19 May 2018 - 13:23

Yes, it's not exactly the worst news ever! I mean, no-one's died or been diagnosed with a terminal illness. There seems to be a current trend for overwrought hyperbole, possibly influenced by the contestants on Britain's Got Talent or The X Factor overcome by hyped-up emotion - unike the calm professionalism of the BBC Young Musician winners. This symptom also proliferates on the Adult Learners board, where  the world apparently comes to an end if one small part of their exam has gone awry. Life can be stressful enough anyway. I'm reminded of a book entitled Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

Of course, I do hope it still works out well for your piano student, susiejean!

#15 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2814 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 19 May 2018 - 13:29

Good luck to all, and I hope it all works out.

Also, so relieved by the content of this thread because the title made me braced for something truly awful biggrin.png

I must admit that I felt the same!