#31 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 27 January 2014 - 17:20

You should get an appointment about four weeks before the exam. I think there is a timetable published on the website but it just tells you that you are notified in week x about appointments in week y.

#32 Barry Toner

Barry Toner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Member: 305160
  • Devon

Posted 27 January 2014 - 20:40

Thanks for this, Splog.  I have asked for week 4, so will book things for the early weeks if I haven't heard anything soon.

#33 jonclarinet

jonclarinet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Member: 682836

Posted 27 January 2014 - 21:19

Whoa. Just got the bill for g3.

Exams are pricey these days! Might skip g4 and go straight to 5 if its going to cost me 100 in just exam fees from now on.

#34 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4773 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:34

Good luck to all of you! :)

I'll be doing grade 4 euph.

Blimey, you go girl!

Wish I could play the wretched thing!  

#35 clariflutegal

clariflutegal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Member: 352159
  • Scunthorpe - North Lincolnshire

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:07

OK, the deadline has passed and there are no more standard entries for Session A, but how soon does one receive appointment details?

At the moment, I have kept a very empty diary for the whole of March, but other parts of my life are now wanting to put firm dates in the ABRSM exam period and there are some things I cannot put off booking. The ABRSM system may suit school children, who can breeze out of school for a couple of hours, but if I want to put good money down to book an session for another activity, it would help to know when a five week gap crystallises to a particular 20 minutes! :rolleyes:

I think you usually get your appointment through around 2-3 weeks before the exam date :)

EDIT: oops, didn't realise there was another page and others have replied!

#36 Barry Toner

Barry Toner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Member: 305160
  • Devon

Posted 13 February 2014 - 16:01

I noticed on the ABRSM website last week that appointments for the first three weeks of the session were to be e-mailed between Feb 10 - 14, with the remaining two weeks to be notified between Feb 17-21.

Checking e-mails today, one there from ABRSM, so I thought: "Bother, I've got an early week!".  However, on checking, they are ahead of themselves and I have my preferred week and location, on a day that is convenient (Wed. Mar 26), six weeks yesterday.

Pieces are going well; scales and arpeggios are making progress, but have good days and bad days; aural will be fine with another few weeks work;  sight reading, however, is a bit of a disaster area at the moment. 

I have the ABRSM specimen sight reading book and have tried a few of the Grade 6 pieces, some with my teacher and some at home, and my first attempt after just 30 seconds preparation always leaves a lot to be desired (aka - is total rubbish).  A second attempt is much better: surprise, surprise.  The book only has 15 examples, so I am trying to ration them over the weeks remaining.  I have tried to be analytical of what went wrong with each one and modify the preparation and execution of the next item, but there is just so much to think about that I get to overload.  My latest thinking is to look at pieces in other books that I have that I haven't tried, or haven't looked at for a long time, to get some extra practice in this area.

Any bright ideas gratefully accepted!

#37 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 16:15

Grade 4 piano on 25th March

#38 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 13 February 2014 - 17:56

I have the ABRSM specimen sight reading book and have tried a few of the Grade 6 pieces, some with my teacher and some at home, and my first attempt after just 30 seconds preparation always leaves a lot to be desired (aka - is total rubbish).  A second attempt is much better: surprise, surprise.  The book only has 15 examples, so I am trying to ration them over the weeks remaining.  I have tried to be analytical of what went wrong with each one and modify the preparation and execution of the next item, but there is just so much to think about that I get to overload.  My latest thinking is to look at pieces in other books that I have that I haven't tried, or haven't looked at for a long time, to get some extra practice in this area.

Any bright ideas gratefully accepted!

When I'm preparing for exams, once I've worked through all the examples for the grade I'm doing, I work through all the ones for the next grade higher.  They do seem a bit impossible sometimes, but if you get accustomed to playing harder examples, it might come as a nice surprise on exam day.

#39 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3881 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 13 February 2014 - 19:08

I noticed on the ABRSM website last week that appointments for the first three weeks of the session were to be e-mailed between Feb 10 - 14, with the remaining two weeks to be notified between Feb 17-21.

Checking e-mails today, one there from ABRSM, so I thought: "Bother, I've got an early week!".  However, on checking, they are ahead of themselves and I have my preferred week and location, on a day that is convenient (Wed. Mar 26), six weeks yesterday.

I've just heard I've got Monday March 31st for my pupils. I think that's the most notice I've ever had. Those who were given an early week can't have had that much notice, which doesn't seem quite fair, as having the date usually spurs my pupils on with practice.

#40 Rach123

Rach123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • Member: 244658
  • Colchester, Essex

Posted 25 February 2014 - 18:40

is there a way to change an exam date once we've got it?

My grade 8 retake is on the 7th of march (aka 10 days time) and i can't find an accompanist that knows my a piece who isn't busy. (all 3 i have asked at uni (including my teacher) are busy). My teacher is in London on fridays, another teaches on a friday and the third could do it, but doesn't have the time to practise the brahms because there's a competition happening that evening (which i'm in) at uni and she's the accompanist for it.

#41 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22949 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 25 February 2014 - 19:08

is there a way to change an exam date once we've got it?

My grade 8 retake is on the 7th of march (aka 10 days time) and i can't find an accompanist that knows my a piece who isn't busy. (all 3 i have asked at uni (including my teacher) are busy). My teacher is in London on fridays, another teaches on a friday and the third could do it, but doesn't have the time to practise the brahms because there's a competition happening that evening (which i'm in) at uni and she's the accompanist for it.

You can ring the board and ask. That's if it's you who put in the entry.

#42 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 19:18

Can almost play two out of three of my pieces without stopping. Very pleased..... :D Four weeks to go!

#43 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3881 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 25 February 2014 - 19:19

And make sure you check the availability of your accompanists before you ring . Sometimes you can be offered a slot at another centre.

#44 jonclarinet

jonclarinet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Member: 682836

Posted 25 February 2014 - 20:35

March 18th. Final piano practice on Sunday. Otherwise I'm basically ready.

#45 allegretto

allegretto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Member: 292970

Posted 25 February 2014 - 20:54

A week to go till the theory exams - anyone else entered for one? Our venue is a rather posh local hotel this time :)

Think I'm just about ready (Gr 7), I've almost exhausted the examples in the books and just got two more past papers to have a go at. Keeping my fingers crossed that the 'add decoration' question is a chorale rather than anything else as I find them much easier!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Session A, exam, entry