Blimey, you go girl!

#17 jonclarinet

jonclarinet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Member: 682836

Posted 12 January 2014 - 14:33

Ought to be going for g3 clarinet. Experiencing a weird mix of boredom and notreadyanxiety due to having worked on this for so long but the study/sight reading still needs practice and tweaking.

Best of luck to all!

#18 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 12 January 2014 - 16:11

Ought to be going for g3 clarinet. Experiencing a weird mix of boredom and notreadyanxiety due to having worked on this for so long but the study/sight reading still needs practice and tweaking.

Best of luck to all!

Go for it! I find entering an exam focuses me and makes me practise. You still have plenty of time.

#19 niobe

niobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Member: 86863
  • West Sussex

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:26

Best of luck to all!

Think a lot of us feel the same, particularly re sight reading as we face the unknown! I've decided to face my demons this year and opt for sightreading (Trinity offers options). I agree with Splog - the thought of an exam certainly makes you focus.

However, I backed out of my G IV exam at the 11th hour last year and although it was annoying to have paid for the exam and in effect lost the money, I still feel I did the right thing. My playing is back on the right track now and I can face up to the challenge of the exam. Sometimes we need to be realistic about our playing and how we really feel about the experience of playing. But if it is just a matter of some extra practice and tweaking, well GO FOR IT! The boredom will fade away when you have your G III certificate in your hand and you  start on higher grade pieces  :woot: .

Good luck!   :clarinet:

#20 Barry Toner

Barry Toner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Member: 305160
  • Devon

Posted 15 January 2014 - 18:05

Right, Grade 6 oboe entry in, money paid, no going back now.

The conductor of the performing choir that I sing with is an ABRSM examiner (our concerts have to fit in around his examining commitments!) so I had a chat with him at our rehearsal on Sunday afternoon.  He didn't know about my oboe habit and was interested that I was having lessons and am taking an exam in it.  He knows of the centre recommended by my teacher and thinks it is an excellent place to perform.  I can also see the cogs going around in his mind and thinking about pieces for the choir with oboe parts.  Methinks the Rutter Requiem may figure in the repertoire soon.

I also saw my preferred accompanist this morning and he is quite happy to come with me on a 60 mile round trip for the exam.  He has suggested having a look at the music together next Wednesday after our normal recorder group finishes, so there is another mini-milestone to focus on.

The exam session starts in less than 7 weeks so, although I have asked for a week 4, I need to be ready for day 1.  :o

#21 RoseRodent

RoseRodent

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3003 posts
  • Member: 76503
  • Scotland

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:00

Just bear in mind that you only get to request a specific centre code, which may or may not be a particular place. Our exam centre number was at least 3 different places for the 2013 C session. It may be that a particular centre, used for years, suddenly becomes too expensive, has other commitments that week, is getting rid of their piano, is under new management, or someone like me has come along and wrecked things by needing wheelchair access so a half/whole day of examining has to be moved to an accessible venue. Although most centres are relatively static, they aren't set in stone. 

#22 LearnerFlute

LearnerFlute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Member: 127255

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:58

Grade 6 flute coming up for me :-/

#23 superwan

superwan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Member: 887770

Posted 16 January 2014 - 13:35

Hi all,

I've booked to take Grade 5 theory on the 5th March in Chesterfield.  Having never done this before does anyone know what happens.  Do I get an email telling me where the exam will take place?  If so, when would that likely to be?

thanks in advance :)

#24 RoseRodent

RoseRodent

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3003 posts
  • Member: 76503
  • Scotland

Posted 16 January 2014 - 15:14

Hi all,

I've booked to take Grade 5 theory on the 5th March in Chesterfield.  Having never done this before does anyone know what happens.  Do I get an email telling me where the exam will take place?  If so, when would that likely to be?

thanks in advance :)

You normally get an email saying that details of your exam are available online, and you log into your account to retrieve the actual appointment, so make sure you remember your login information! You get about 4 weeks' notice for practical exams, but those have to be organised on individual appointments and take a lot more sorting out. Theory you all sit down on the given date at the same time so you will probably hear a little earlier than that. The practical exams for that week will have appointments sent 10th Feb, so you can assume it will be no later than that. 

#25 jonclarinet

jonclarinet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Member: 682836

Posted 16 January 2014 - 17:13

Interestingly my sight reading was tested at practice on Monday and was very strong. Scales are getting there - god knows how ill manage to remember all of the ones at g4. Piece A is ok, piece B is awesome. My study is great half of the time and rubbish the rest. I wonder if I still have time ro switch it.

Strangely feeling a huge upswell of enthusiasm at present - which is great because my playing seems to have gone backwards over the long christmas lay off. Anyone else finding the same? Cant work out why im feeling so energetic about it as its not like I'll be getting a prize apart from not having to play these pieces anymore. Toying with the idea of a new MP as reward if i get a merit or better though....

#26 dcvos

dcvos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Member: 461632
  • Netherlands, near Utrecht

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:41

I'm doing dutch Hafabra A exam next week saturday morning. In the evening there is the examconcert with orchestra.  Everyone who did exam have to play one of his/her pieces again. Then we'll get our diploma.

#27 superwan

superwan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Member: 887770

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:55

Thanks RoseRodent, much appreciated :)

#28 allegretto

allegretto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Member: 292970

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:43

Just put myself in for Grade 7 Theory. Wasn't going to do one this term, but realised that the June Theory date clashes with something else I'm doing so decided to go for March - past paper I did last night was OK, thankfully!

#29 Rach123

Rach123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • Member: 244658
  • Colchester, Essex

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:22

my teacher said that i can enter myself for my grade 8 retake this session. :)

just need to definitely work on the minor scales (and remembering them under pressure) :P

Oh, and one big thing: PRACTISE!!

#30 Barry Toner

Barry Toner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Member: 305160
  • Devon

Posted 27 January 2014 - 17:17

OK, the deadline has passed and there are no more standard entries for Session A, but how soon does one receive appointment details?

At the moment, I have kept a very empty diary for the whole of March, but other parts of my life are now wanting to put firm dates in the ABRSM exam period and there are some things I cannot put off booking.  The ABRSM system may suit school children, who can breeze out of school for a couple of hours, but if I want to put good money down to book an session for another activity, it would help to know when a five week gap crystallises to a particular 20 minutes! :rolleyes:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Session A, exam, entry