Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London SE5

Posted 04 March 2020 - 10:56

I once saw a film about music students on telly. Something like Dirk Bogarde ca 1960 or earlier.
There was some great Bach played on a D trumpet or piccolo trumpet or something.
Does anyone know what that was?

#2 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1475 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2020 - 08:31

What genre (drama, comedy, biography, war, musical....?) and in what language was the film?  Can you confirm any actor's or other crew members' names that were definitely part of the film?

I would imagine it would be on IMDB if anywhere.  You can do a keyword search and refine for release between given years, e.g. the results for 'music' 'student' between 1949 & 1971: https://www.imdb.com..._date=1949,1971

#3 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • London SE5

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:25

What genre (drama, comedy, biography, war, musical....?) and in what language was the film?  Can you confirm any actor's or other crew members' names that were definitely part of the film?

I would imagine it would be on IMDB if anywhere.  You can do a keyword search and refine for release between given years, e.g. the results for 'music' 'student' between 1949 & 1971: https://www.imdb.com..._date=1949,1971

Sorry, I didn't even see the whole film - just that excerpt from it, and a long time ago, and it was someone like DB, maybe him, but not necessarily. It was definitely English. Someone on another forum remembered the film, but didn't know anything about it, so I was hoping it would ring bells here.

#4 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 12 March 2020 - 16:32

Could it have been Raising the Wind from 1961? I remember seeing it when it came out (or rather, two years later in my part of the Scottish Highlands!) and I think there was a scene with some spectacular trumpet playing.  Even if it isn't, It's good fun, very much of its time - rather like the "Doctor in the house" series and with many of the same cast.  Preview here.

#5 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • London SE5

Posted 12 March 2020 - 17:50

Could it have been Raising the Wind from 1961? I remember seeing it when it came out (or rather, two years later in my part of the Scottish Highlands!) and I think there was a scene with some spectacular trumpet playing.  Even if it isn't, It's good fun, very much of its time - rather like the "Doctor in the house" series and with many of the same cast.  Preview here.

This is such a good suggestion (and very possibly correct) that I am going to buy the DVD. Thanks, LoneM! (https://en.wikipedia...iki/Paul_Massie) would be the Dirk Bogarde type character I was thinking of.