dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1813 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 12 September 2021 - 13:02

The top, music desk part of my orchestra music stand, has a tendency to fall down unless placed almost vertical and very tightly screwed. Not good in the middle of a gig! It's a folding but quite heavy König & Meyer.
I noticed that some players have a prop which looks like a bolt screwed on the top of the pole, and which the music desk part can lean on to stop it tipping. There wasn't time to ask if they have done a DIY job or whether it's possible to buy something ready made.
Any ideas from you handy people?

#2 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5740 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:51

Probably involves a washer. Can you take it to a hardwear/ D.I.Y. store and then if you show them they could find you the right one?

#3 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1813 posts
  • Germany

Posted 13 September 2021 - 09:11

Norway, do you mean a washer on the existing horizontal screw that you tighten to keep the 'desk' part up? What I mean is the possibilty of fixing something vertical at the top of the leg to act as a prop to the tilted desk, to stop it tilting further away.
Obviously will ask next time in a couple of weeks. But a ready fix would be nice. As it's orchestra property I don't want to be too experimental!

#4 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:45

I'm trying to imagine the set up...

I think what you're saying is that the desk is attached to the central pole via some kind of bracket (which sits over the centre pole like a collar so it can rotate) with two arms which are attached to the back of the desk.  Then there is a "bolt" screwed into the top end of the centre pole forming the extra support for the desk.  ...Is my best guess what you're describing.

If the desk collar just sits around the centre pole then it would be easy enough to take out the centre plug (which tops off the centre pole) and drop a length of threaded rod into it, using a bolt to stop it falling all the way in and as a height adjuster.  If you were being really fancy you might be able to cut a thread inside the pole if you have a tap (from a tap and die set) of the right size.  Then you could screw the threaded rod in for extra security.

I couldn't do that on my stand as the desk collar is like a tee-piece that sits over the top of the centre pole.  At a push you could lash a plate to the pole (below the desk bracket) using jubilee clips or brass pipe clips or maybe a munsen ring (or two) around the pole and an upright support attached via two munsen back plates (if using two you'd have to attach the back plates to the upright/support then screw on the rings and then put the rings in place over the pole).

Edit - just read it's an orchestra stand, so tapping a thread inside the upright is probably not an option.

#5 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 13 September 2021 - 12:16

If it was me I would buy my own orchestra stand - one without a folding desk as they seem to have better brackets and screws. I've had full binder folders of music on mine without it moving - they aren't expensive unless you go for K&M or RAT!!!

#6 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5740 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 13 September 2021 - 12:33

I'm not very good at visualising things. I'd be off to my local hardwear store with stand in hand. Locate kindly elderly employee who has been fixing stuff since 1957. 

I don't think you need to worry about breaking said item - it is pretty useless as it is. How often have I handed in broken school property for mending, only to  find it circulating uselessly in the system again? Fix it or chuck it!

#7 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7162 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 13 September 2021 - 12:49

I have a Hercules orchestra stand. The desk folds in half for storing. 

#8 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1813 posts
  • Germany

Posted 13 September 2021 - 18:03

Thanks e evrybody. When OH gets back from his emergency travel to the UK (which deserves a rant in it's own right let's not mention ripoff C. tests to begin with ...) he'll be able to understand your technical suggestions better than me and probably come up with something creative.

#9 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London SE5

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:48

My K&M has a ratchet mechanism. Is it possible that someone has tilted the top (often) without undoing the screw, thereby wearing down the ratchet?

#10 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1813 posts
  • Germany

Posted 16 September 2021 - 15:59

Thank you Gordon. (I now know it's not a ratchet.)
OH got back from his travels, disassembled the mechanism, had a good look and suggested a couple of solutions. He then reassembled it in his careful engineer way, and it now is firm and has also lost the slight horizontal slope it had! He guesses the previous user had not been treating it well.
Thanks all again.