4 replies to this topic

#1 Mrswrongnotes

Mrswrongnotes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 900014

Posted 14 January 2020 - 16:42

Hello, Looking for some recommendations for text books, resources etc for the FRCO examination.  Nearly thirty years after passing my ARCO (!) I have decided to embark on working for the FR (perhaps rather foolishly) and would be interested to learn of any resources people who have done the FR have found invaluable for the written paperwork.   It is my plan to work on (and hopefully pass) the paperwork first before tackling the playing side. Recommendations of resources in relation to the fugal exposition, continuo realisation/transcription and stylistic completion/harmonic analysis requirements would be most welcome, in particular.  I plan to "self study" as much as possible but have a tutor lined up for later on down the line should I find myself floundering.  Thanks in anticipation!

#2 pacific321

pacific321

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Member: 892716

Posted 15 January 2020 - 13:55

The harmonic analysis part is the most difficult. The book The Dynamics of Harmony by George Pratt was recommended to me by my tutor and the concepts in there should get you on the right track. How about having a session or two with your tutor before you start self-studying, to get an idea of where you are with fugal writing and continuo realisation? Get the past examination papers and practise as much as possible! I also found looking at the past examiners' reports (available along with the papers) very useful.

#3 mrbouffant

mrbouffant

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1829 posts
  • Member: 33716

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:12

Interesting topic this. I had similar thoughts last year, tho it is ~15 years since I did ARCO.

I approached a paperwork teacher and he gave me food for thought. He said that since people underestimate the practical side of FRCO, he didn't recommend doing the paperwork first. He had seen so many people pass the paperwork and fail the practical (multiple times), that he felt it should be tackled practical first.

#4 Mrswrongnotes

Mrswrongnotes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 900014

Posted 18 January 2020 - 17:16

Thanks to you both for your thoughts and suggestions and I have ordered a copy of the George Pratt book.  Regarding whether to take the practical or paperwork first, my thinking behind tackling the latter initially is simply a logistical one in that I currently don't live locally to where I play the organ so won't be able to get the right amount of hours in on the playing side at the moment.  I can certainly see why it might be suggested to take playing first, however, and that would probably be my preference in an ideal world, especially as I passed all of the paperwork of the AR first time but had to take the practical more than once!  The RCO were still in that building next to the Royal Albert Hall when I did the paperwork - they moved to St Andrew's Holborn shortly after - that's how long ago it all was!  All good wishes.

#5 Vox Humana

Vox Humana

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1150 posts
  • Member: 58391

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:39

I have just stumbled across this old thread while Googling for something else.
https://forums.abrsm...showtopic=57593