Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1397 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 19 November 2019 - 16:27

A big "best of luck" to everyone taking exams this session!

#77 peterhontaru

peterhontaru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Member: 899767

Posted 19 November 2019 - 17:00

Good luck tomorrow Kait! Pieces sound very good and great song selection (it's likely I'll be doing the same A and B pieces too next year)

#78 dynari

dynari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Member: 899386
  • Penarth

Posted 19 November 2019 - 17:05

Good luck tomorrow Kait! Pieces sound very good and great song selection (it's likely I'll be doing the same A and B pieces too next year)

Thanks Peter, glad you enjoyed!! Good luck tomorrow too!!

#79 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 19 November 2019 - 18:11

Good luck to you both!  I hope you'll post reports after your exams - I'm always keen to read other candidates' experiences. 

I'm done for the Autumn term - just a music theory exam for me.  ARSM next May, I hope.

#80 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 20 November 2019 - 15:01

Good luck to you both!  I hope you'll post reports after your exams - I'm always keen to read other candidates' experiences. 

I'm done for the Autumn term - just a music theory exam for me.  ARSM next May, I hope.

What grade?

#81 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 16:02

What grade?

It was Grade 6 theory.  I'll take Grade 7 theory next March and the ARSM performance diploma next May.

#82 dynari

dynari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Penarth

Posted 20 November 2019 - 18:22

All done! It went well, I think - probably a little better than my Grade 5 (where I got a merit). I was a victim of nerves on the G5 exam and tried to prepare for it and handle it a little better this time.

My examiner was Michael Omer: http://www.michaelomer.com/

Started with scales. Had my nerves under control at the start. All was going well. Around arpeggios nerves started to kick in hardcore. Powered through. No major mistakes but a few minor finger slips. Hoping for 19/21ish?

Peak of nervousness toward the end of scales. When we finished scales I focused on breathing for a few seconds to try to ready myself for pieces.

Pieces. Went in order of A/B/C which is my hardest to easiest.

Piece A. My beloved Kuhlau piece but definitely my most technically challenging. I promised myself I wasn't going to go too fast. Even on the recording I made yesterday, I was going too fast, and I think a lot is lost in the piece. I usually try to relax the speed a bit to allow for more expression. Didn't happen. It was a fast marathon of notes similar to the recording I made yesterday. So not ideal. But it was all in place with no major errors until three bars from the end when I just lost my place or something? I have this one memorised so I wasn't even reading from the music but I kind of froze. I paused for what felt like an eternity (but was probably less than 2 seconds) and then continued with the last 3 bars for quite an anticlimactic ending... Not the best! If I was being harsh I'd say it was a 21-22/30 but hoping for something closer to 23/24.

Piece B. Ballerina. My absolute favourite. This was mostly great. My nerves had calmed down by this point and all was ok. In the B section there are very large jumps in the LH chords and they were a bit sloppy at times. No problems otherwise. Good realisation of musical detail and expression. Hoping for 25-26?

Piece C. Tugela Rail. By this time the nerves were out of my system and all was good. Wouldn't change a thing about this performance. Hopefully 27-28?

Sight-reading. I think mostly good! I am great at sight reading but I thought the same when I did G5 and only got 14/21 because it turns out I had misread something and got the rhythm all wrong (and added a swing vibe that was not part of the reading?!). I don't think I did that this time.  :D  I realised I messed up the dynamics a bit because I ended at about mf and then saw I was meant to be mp. Minor note errors but nearly all correct. Maybe 18/21?

Aural. My weakness. I'm an awful singer! I know vocal quality doesn't matter (though honestly, mine is truly horrendous, I am sure Michael Omer was laughing on the inside), but my pitch is always slightly off by at least a half of pitch just because I'm so bad. For the repeat-melody and sight-reading, I was rhythmically accurate and pitch mostly correct but just slightly off because of my poor singing ability. Pretty sure I got cadence correct and felt good about the rest of the musical features. So 16/18?

This all puts me at about 126-131 by my guesses. I would be shocked if I didn't pass, I think a merit is most likely, and a distinction is possible.

#83 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 18:30

Thank you for the detailed report, Dynari.  It sounds as if you made an excellent showing.  When do you think you'll get your results?

#84 dynari

dynari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Penarth

Posted 20 November 2019 - 21:13

Thank you for the detailed report, Dynari.  It sounds as if you made an excellent showing.  When do you think you'll get your results?

Thanks! They said 2.5 weeks. I'll post my full results and scanned feedback sheet when I receive it  :)

I'm onto playing xmas carols for the next month (Dan Coates arrangements - Christmas Advanced Piano Solos are amazing!), but I'll start playing around with G7 too. I've picked this one from List A... https://youtu.be/HlvNKc5pYrk

Here's to hoping I can sound anything like that next November.

Peter - hope your exam went well today and looking forward to hearing about it!

#85 peterhontaru

peterhontaru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 21:29

Great to hear that it went well Kait and lovely to hear the detailed breakdown. How did the theory go Dr Rogers?

My exam today:

Technical exercises:

Played well except for one scale (C sharp minor contrary motion) which I tried twice and it was as bad as a scale can go - literally! Not sure why because everything else was fine, including the other contrary motion scale. Depends how much I get deducted but potentially 16/21 on this? Hopefully not much more deducted than that…

Pieces:

Haydn – I think I had two very small mistakes and not sure if she even picked up on both. I expect maybe ~27. Pretty happy with the overall piece

Schumann – I played it as perfect as I could. If I had 100 other tries I would still keep this one because I don’t think I can physically do better. Even though she was very serious throughout I could tell she enjoyed it so I expect 29 ish if not even 30

Poulenc – I had a few missed notes on left hand which I was disappointed by but kept the rhythm throughout. It’s fairly dissonant piece so I am not sure if it was very obvious so I score myself 25 to be very harsh - will have to find out.

Sight reading: 16-18 / 21 • I think I did mostly ok and kept the rhythm going despite some mistakes in the notes

Aural 15-17 / 19 • I don’t think I did great but did mostly ok in everything and particularly well in the musical features.

It would be one of those where the examiner would have to decide between distinction or merit and forget about the scores for one second. I would be shocked if I only get a pass but hey, happy to get to where I am despite slightly rushing through the grades.

#86 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1397 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 20 November 2019 - 21:35

Well done everyone.  I have a feeling there'll be distinctions.  Well done!

#87 dynari

dynari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Penarth

Posted 20 November 2019 - 22:05

Great to hear that it went well Kait and lovely to hear the detailed breakdown. How did the theory go Dr Rogers?

My exam today:

Technical exercises:

Played well except for one scale (C sharp minor contrary motion) which I tried twice and it was as bad as a scale can go - literally! Not sure why because everything else was fine, including the other contrary motion scale. Depends how much I get deducted but potentially 16/21 on this? Hopefully not much more deducted than that…

Pieces:

Haydn – I think I had two very small mistakes and not sure if she even picked up on both. I expect maybe ~27. Pretty happy with the overall piece

Schumann – I played it as perfect as I could. If I had 100 other tries I would still keep this one because I don’t think I can physically do better. Even though she was very serious throughout I could tell she enjoyed it so I expect 29 ish if not even 30

Poulenc – I had a few missed notes on left hand which I was disappointed by but kept the rhythm throughout. It’s fairly dissonant piece so I am not sure if it was very obvious so I score myself 25 to be very harsh - will have to find out.

Sight reading: 16-18 / 21 • I think I did mostly ok and kept the rhythm going despite some mistakes in the notes

Aural 15-17 / 19 • I don’t think I did great but did mostly ok in everything and particularly well in the musical features.

It would be one of those where the examiner would have to decide between distinction or merit and forget about the scores for one second. I would be shocked if I only get a pass but hey, happy to get to where I am despite slightly rushing through the grades.

Amazing Peter! I'd feel really confident about that! Well done!

The exact same thing happened to me with C# minor contrary motion in Grade 5!!!

https://imgur.com/wMHq9BS

As you can see, she says it was "error prone after two restarts." (I disagree with this because I only restarted once! Fail both, but two attempts; one restart...semantics)  :) Anyway, I still got 18/21, and I also had some minor mistakes elsewhere.

#88 peterhontaru

peterhontaru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 22:33

Oh wow - you really did do the same thing!

I started and played well up but on the way down messed up, tried to correct which went wrong again and stopped thinking I already failed this scale. Then she said "let's try again" and failed again (I think at this point I did not even go up correctly so messed up up and down but did the whole scale which doesn't really count).

Not to find an excuse but the grand piano I played one might be the worst piano I've ever played on :( however I should've still played the scale right

I hope I could still get around 18 in that case as I did some very minor mistakes on one other scale if I remember correctly but everything else was pretty good as far as my memory goes. I think if I score much lower than 18 I'm out of a distinction. Really excited to find out now ha. 

#89 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 14:29

... How did the theory go Dr Rogers?

Congratulations, Peter!  It sounds as if you did very well.  Let us know when you get your results!

The theory exam went off very well, except for some logistical hiccups, probably due to having a new representative in our area.  I posted a full report in the Theory forum.  I'm expecting Merit or maybe even Distinction.  I had a student taking Grade 5 theory at the same time - she'll probably get a high Distinction.  She was scoring 100% on the past papers.

When will you be taking your Grade 5 theory exam?  I suppose that's your next step.

Oh, I remember that C# minor contrary motion scale!  That was probably the most difficult of the Grade 5 scales and arpeggios for me.  I managed it in the exam, though, but had a slip-up on a chromatic contrary motion scale.

Come to think of it, it was a chromatic scale that bit me at Grade 8 as well, my only slip-up.  I wanted 21/21!

#90 peterhontaru

peterhontaru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 17:42

Oh, glad to hear it went well. Distinction/Merit are both incredibly good given that it is grade 6 theory so well done!

Oh wow, there's a trend here haha. That's the only scale I'd mess up maybe 50% of the time in my lessons and I guess once I started messing up in the exam that 50% turned into 1% of ever recovering from it. I did do the major contrary motion and chromatic contrary motion very well so I hope she won't think I'm incapable of doing it but look forward to sharing the results with you in a few weeks.

Regarding theory, I will probably be doing it spring/summer time next year to get it out of the way but for now the focus will be on getting some more pieces under my belt and some Czerny 599 pieces both for technical skill and sight reading.

Come June ish I think I'll be deciding if Im going to do grade 6 (probably old curriculum) or grade 7 (new curriculum) depending on what the new pieces will be.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: musical instruments, grade exams, abrsm