#4696 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 15 October 2021 - 10:20

if you could measure, I would be very grateful!

No problem at all!  The spacings are:

1-2 = 32mm

2-3 = 30mm

4-5 = 36mm

5-6 = 25mm

6-7 = 31mm

They are centre to centre of hole, as accurately as I can manage, and with the bottom holes not rotated around.  The thumb hole is about 9mm north of hole 1.

#4697 Maruja

Maruja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Member: 629271

Posted 15 October 2021 - 11:27

You are a star - thanks so much. I will compare with the 209E...

M

#4698 Maruja

Maruja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 11:43

Just had a quick measure of the Aulos 209E and I think the spacings are further apart than your measurements. This is good news!  I will struggle a bit for the moment and maybe the hand will stretch (they do, don't they?). And as I said previously, I can upgrade if I decide I like it.  I do like the descant,but I am in a group of about 20 and most people seem to have ditched the descant for the other recorders - as a result, there are only two experienced descant players, one of whom does not come regularly and so I have been pitched into playing that top line and sometimes taking over whole responsibility for the melody. This is a bit scary as I have not been playing that long. So I am not sure if I want to be so exposed in the future. We will see. 

Misterioso, I did work with the Brian Bonsor book and one or two others (Dolmetsch, I think) and then I plunged in on my own. I play clarinet, so some of the techniques are similar and I knew what sort of effect I wanted.  But we had a very good youngish conductor come on Wednesday and he took me out of my comfort zone by insisting on musicality rather than just accurate notes and rhythm. And I am at the stage where if I get these right, I am happy.  So that was a bit of a baptism of fire. But as a result, I have been trying to go more for musicality and I am recording myself on the phone. That soon shows up where I need to improve. But it's a brand new world out there, isn't it? Although the clarinet is an orchestral instrument, it hasn't been around that long in comparison with the recorder and so there isn't that much accessible repertoire. I have been astonished at the abundance of the recorder world!

#4699 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 12:49

now that I am beginning to collect recorders (2 gifts from the same friend) I am looking for a reasonably priced stand - I was a bit shocked at the price of the one I saw at the Early Music Shop. I could try and get my husband to make one - they just look like dowels in a square piece of wood - but it would take a long time!

I bought a K&M peg base and some flute pegs and they work fine - you can get the pegs in different sizes so can deal with everything from a soprano to a wide bore tenor.  Because I bought them in dribs and drabs it wasn't too much money at one go, though if you bought the whole lot at once I suppose it would be expensive enough.  The stand officially takes 4 pegs but I use one in place of the centre bolt so that's 5 - I think it would be easy enough to drill a few extra holes in the legs and add more pegs, but 5 plus one on music stand is enough for me.  (I have to admit to having slightly more recorders than that, but the ones I rarely play just live in their cases.)  I got all of them from Thomann but they seem to be substantially more expensive elsewhere, and only really work from Thomann if you are buying something else that qualifies for free postage.  Anyway, for interest's sake:

https://www.thomann...._for_4_pegs.htm

https://www.thomann....te_peg_18mm.htm

https://www.thomann....ute_peg_9mm.htm

https://www.thomann....te_peg_65mm.htm

However, this https://www.amazon.c...34301133&sr=8-9 and some dowels would work as well for a fraction of the price.

You are a star - thanks so much. I will compare with the 209E...

M

Honestly, no problem - it took me all of 2 minutes!

#4700 Maruja

Maruja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 15:38

Thank you for all that info!  Tomorrow we have a fair in Buckingham and I am hoping that Men in Sheds will be there - they make wooden bits and pieces and I have bought some boot holders in the past (same idea!) - I think I might commission them!

#4701 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 15 October 2021 - 16:43

Just compared the Zen-on with the Haka. The Zen-on is smaller (a bit) and feels less chunky to handle. Actually, my fingers fit fairly well on it. My problem is a slight deformity on my right hand little finger - it's a tad shorter than it needs to be. I've just asked my husband to measure the Zen-on. I bought it before the Haka because I was worried about reaching the holes. In my case, I'm pretty sure that part of the problem was poor technique so as I got better at playing so it didn't seem so awkward. I had similar problems with the descant to start with. However, I really like my descant Haka so got the treble to match.

1-2 = 2.75mm

2-3 = 3.30mm

3-4 = 3.40mm

4-5 = 3.05mm

5-6 = 2.80mm

6-7 = 2.65mm

Enjoy the fair!!!!!

#4702 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2121 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 15 October 2021 - 23:08

Maruja, yes on repertoire, there is soooo much. The beauty of recorder is that it has a long history of playing anything that's playable, not just stuff that was written for it. We regard it as perfectly fair game to nick anything written for flute, and of course there were loads of Baroque composers who didn't want to pin themselves to one instrument (more instruments = more customers = more sales!) and wrote things for recorder, oboe, musette, or whatever you want. A lot of violin music works. Renaissance dances are lovely. And there are modern recorder composers too, plus anything from the folk world.

I'm afraid my plastic instruments tend to spend a lot of their life propped up in a pot, rather like an umbrella-stand existence. I should look after them better.

No idea about the "B" misterioso. Every note has its own character; I don't like bottom G any of the handful of trebles that I play. But I'm not the best to ask about tone. 

#4703 Maruja

Maruja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 14:55

Ah, a nice pot is a very good idea! Though someone has suggested plate holders! Not sure that they would stand up to it. Zixi, thanks so much for the measurements - in fact the holes do seem closer together than with the Haka - I guess to be really sure, I need to compare them all with this Aulos I have. I know you said that you prefer the Haka, but is the Zen on easier on the fingers, would you say?

#4704 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:53

Maruja - My preference for the Haka is bias! :) I've played notes on each and actually there's little difference **when I play them**. If you forced me to choose which is easier to play for my right hand, then I'd say the Zen-on. But I still prefer the Haka. But I haven't played properly since the end of June when I damaged my right arm and wrist very badly. It still isn't right and when I do start playing again properly (on Tuesday) I'll effectively be starting out again (again, again, again, again...) If I'd have thought logically about this, I'd have got my husband to do a blind test with me so I didn't know which recorder I was handling. But having now handled them both again, I'd recognise them. In my case, part of the problem  - if you take away the deformed little finger - is poor technique. So, I'm pretty certain that a good teacher would help me to fix the reach problem. I'll may manage to fix it myself but it will take longer! But your hand shape and posture may well be different from mine so I'd say try them both before you decide which (if any) is right for you. I live a distance from any shops, an even larger distance from any music shops and because as yet there is no sensible profile for Covid, I'm not venturing out. I've had two close relative die of what some of the intensive care Covid deaths have been and until science lets me see the profile, I'm not taking any risks. So even if I could travel the distance to a music shop, I wouldn't go out for something that to me is that trivial. I simply buy and hope for the best and if/when that doesn't work out my husband buys me something different next time there's a need for a gift. In any case, I collect recorders like some people collect fountain pens so getting it right isn't that important to me. If I was younger - it would be important, I'm sure!

I've just weighed them and the Haka is 167 grams and the Zen-on 147 grams. If you want to know anything else, just yell. 

Did you have a nice time at the fair? I'm remembering the last time I was in Buckingham - it was several years ago. We went on to Banbury on the same day but we had a nice cake and coffee in Buckingham and bought a cuckoo clock! :)

#4705 Maruja

Maruja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 16:16

Thank you Zixi - ah, so the Zen-on is quite a bit lighter! That would make a difference for me, I think. As you say, I need to go out and try some - ah, good thought, I am going to look after my grandchildren in Norwich for half term - there may be a suitable place for me to have a blow.  You sound like my very good friend who has just taken up recorder again and has struck up a friendship with an Ebay recorder guru! He keeps sending her things, which she tries and then sends back - but I have been on the receiving end of a very nice little wooden Moeck and now this big treble... so maybe if I wait long enough, something else will come my way!  The fair was lovely (despite the lack of Men in Sheds) but I didn't buy anything - sign of getting old I think, is a lack of desire... On the same day we had the Charter Fair (funfair that takes up the Market Square, not quite my thing, but being historic, is important to the town and there are plenty of people who do like it!)

You sound as though you have a very nice husband!( as do I...!)

Maruja

#4706 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 17:21

Maruja - It's noticeably lighter which is why I weighed them both to check I was right. It's slimmer and it's slightly shorter. I still prefer the Haka though! Trying them is really the best way forward unless you want a box full of them!

I'm glad you liked the fair and had a nice time! I have very enthusiastic memories of Buckingham but we went there before The Collie came into our lives and we're rather a long way from there now so I doubt very much I'll ever revisit it.

Nice husbands are good to have! We both spoiled me for a bit because of serious illness and he hasn't grown out of the habit. I have - of course! :P

Take care and enjoy the descant! I *still* think it's the most beautiful of the recorders and actually it's very likely my favourite instrument. No bias there at all - of course! :lol:

#4707 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7079 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 17 October 2021 - 20:05

Trying them is really the best way forward unless you want a box full of them!

Trying them is also the way to get a box/house full of them :rofl:

#4708 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3452 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 18 October 2021 - 07:55

My quartet met for the first time in over a year yesterday - we've been booked for a gig in December.

Just nice to blow down the old tube again tbh.

Tooting-Bag x

#4709 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:52

I share Zixi's preference for the Haka.  Maybe I just have a soft spot for it: it's the recorder I started on and played exclusively for my first year.  However, I think I do genuinely prefer the sound of it.

I never use the Zen-on at all, it sits in its case in a drawer.  I have tried to give it away a couple of times without success.  It's a pity there is no way of getting it to you, you could gladly have it.

#4710 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:45

I share Zixi's preference for the Haka.  Maybe I just have a soft spot for it: it's the recorder I started on and played exclusively for my first year.  However, I think I do genuinely prefer the sound of it.

I started on Swing but bought the Haka shortly afterwards as a 'special' recorder to 'perform' on. I've said before I differentiate between practice and performance. So I suspect my bias is likewise deeply rooted! The Haka is just nice.

@Maizie - I think I'm pleased that whatever the circumstances, I'd still end up with a box full. It makes me feel less guilty about my particular box full. :)

@Bagpuss - It's likely nice to be playing with other people too.