I am a Piano student studying for my Grade 4. I was wondering if anyone know's whether the Piano Syllabus 2021-2022 will still be published this summer (June 2020), or is it being delayed. Also, whether the current syllabus 2019-2020 will be extended to cover summer or even autumn 2021, due to exams being delayed/halted because of the Coronavirus? (I know currently it only can extend to Spring 2021 exams).
Piano Syllabus 2021-2022
Posted 11 May 2020 - 21:05
According to the ABRSM website the new Piano syllabus is launching on 4th June 2020 and the pieces can be used from January 2021. It looks like they have extended the overlap period for a full year in line with other countries which is great as I have started working on my Grade 4 piano and was worried I wouldn't get to do it this year and would have to learn new pieces. However the scales and pieces must be from the same syllabus. The current choice for Grade 4 is fab so I don't really want to change. So relieved.
- New repertoire lists and scale requirements at all grades
- More choice than ever before, with the lists extended to ten pieces (30 pieces in total per grade)
- Duet option included for the first time – up to Grade 3
- Revised list structure
- Scales requirements
- A more realistic and manageable assessment load, with the focus instead on technical development and progression
- Initial Grade exam introduced – a pre-Grade 1 assessment following the same structure, content and assessment criteria as ABRSM’s existing graded music exams (three pieces, scales and arpeggios, sight-reading and aural tests)
Piano syllabus 2021 & 2022 comes into effect for Grades 1–8 on 1 January 2021. This means:
- Candidates can begin to present the pieces and scales requirements from the new syllabus;
- Candidates can continue to present the pieces and scales requirements from the 2019 & 2020 syllabus during the overlap period (see below);
- Sight-reading and aural test requirements remain exactly the same as for the 2019 & 2020 syllabus.
Candidates for the new Initial Grade will be able to take the exam using the 2021 & 2022 syllabus from late 2020 – more information coming soon.Syllabus overlap
For candidates wishing to present pieces and scale requirements from the 2019 & 2020 syllabus, a one-year overlap period (up to 31 December 2021) now applies to all countries – including the UK and Ireland.
All three pieces and the scales requirements must be prepared from the same syllabus.
More information coming soon.
Posted 12 May 2020 - 12:12
I've already started learning pieces from the grade 5 selection (as having done a lot on my grade 4 pieces already). I'm using the old grade 5 syllabus though, hopefully will complete grade 5 by end of 2021 then.
Posted 14 May 2020 - 15:05
- 9 July 2020: Online and print publication of Piano syllabus 2021 & 2022
- 9 July 2020: Publication of Piano Exam Pieces (Grades Initial–8), Piano Scales & Arpeggios (Grades Initial–8), Teaching Notes on Piano Exam Pieces (Grades Initial–8) and audio recordings of all pieces on the syllabus
- 9 July 2020: Publication of Specimen Piano Sight-Reading Tests for the new Initial Grade exam; Initial Grade Specimen Aural Tests already available
- 1 January 2021: Piano syllabus 2021 & 2022 comes into effect