BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 18 September 2021 - 18:04

Hi - looking for recommendations.

I'm thinking of getting OH a nice music carrying case/portfolio for an upcoming birthday.  I'm looking for something nice, hardwearing and smart, and obviously fits A4 music books.  It needs to zip up and preferably be water proof, so not one of those satchel style bags with the strap as closure types.  UK based for preference, due to the import delays that seem to be occuring, but happy to look at anything really.

I looked online, but was obviously failing badly with my search terms as I kept getting either school type nylon cases (even with "leather" as a search term) or those kind of notepad, cards and phone holder portfolios for business meetings.

Any suggestions and especially recommendations?

#2 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Member: 899443
  • Switzerland

Posted 18 September 2021 - 19:07

I have a beauty from Spikes&Sparrow. Google says it is a Dutch firm, we bought mine in Germany and they are on sale here too so maybe a high standard firm in the UK will stock them. Good luck.

#3 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7154 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 19 September 2021 - 06:20

Finding 'nice' music cases is hard work. You might want to look for something like a 'business' or 'messenger' or 'laptop' bag as they're likely to be A4+ as music books tend to be larger than A4. I just googled 'leather business bag' which brought back some options (some £ouch...)

#4 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2190 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 19 September 2021 - 07:11

I'm thinking of getting OH a nice music carrying case/portfolio for an upcoming birthday.  I'm looking for something nice, hardwearing and smart, and obviously fits A4 music books.

Just to point out that the standard size for sheet music (such as there is a standard) is 12" x 9", so just a bit larger than A4 would be needed.

Amazon have currently got a good offer (1/3 off) on a traditional leather music case:

https://www.amazon.c...32035583&sr=8-5

Not  zip-up, but the traditional style is waterproof. Free delivery and could arrive tomorrow if speed is of the essence. Internal dimensions: 12.3" x 8.3" x 1.2". Made in England and sold on Amazon by Chamberlain Music. The only disadvantage is that the traditional style might be seen as a bit old fashioned these days. I don't have any connection with the firm, but I have used this style of carry case myself.

#5 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 10:16

Thanks, all for the suggestions. Goes to investigate...

#6 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1804 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 19 September 2021 - 12:19

I love the look of those leather traditional bags and would love to be given one!

#7 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 14:27

We have one of the leather ones H linked to - that's the sort I was trying to describe as not wanting.  It needs to have a zip and ideally be slim.  It only needs to hold a couple of slender books.  The traditional one (we have) is too deep and is filled with books for a different job.

#8 vron

vron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Member: 898525
  • South Shropshire

Posted 19 September 2021 - 17:50

do you mean like these document carriers

https://www.gusti-le...ByABEgIBqPD_BwE

I have a similar one but it is just a carrier without the pockets on left hand side. It is zipped around.

#9 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 18:06

do you mean like these document carriers

https://www.gusti-le...ByABEgIBqPD_BwE

I have a similar one but it is just a carrier without the pockets on left hand side. It is zipped around.

That's the kind of thing.  Thank you.