• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Member: 271350
  • T' North

Posted 15 March 2018 - 22:38

crying.gif  headdesk.gif

Great. Just what we needed!!

I went through the self-assessment last week and thought I didn't need to do it. I hadn't thought of exam entries, or email addresses on my computer.crying.gif

Deep breath. We can do this.

At least we haven't been asked to do quarterly tax returns yet!

Edit: BabyGrand, I see we're thinking along the same lines with self-assessment!

#32 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2188 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 15 March 2018 - 22:58

Many thanks for the link, aje, Liz'z guide is brilliant and really helpful, especially as I have been feeling as if I've been wading through a treacly sea of yuckiness going through the ICO information, and internet searches bring up a huge array of information. But I've still got some uncertainties -I've done the ICO's self-assesment questionnaire more than once and I think question 7 is badly worded. At first I thought that the box accountancy and auditing applied to me, but then looking down, the other boxes appear to comprise a list of professions- so is the accounting box intended for people whose actual business is an accountancy business? Does education apply in that case (looking at Liz's guide it would seem it does) although the only data I process regularly is for invoicing and payment records (my customers have my bank details and I don't have theirs? When I ticked 'none of the above' question 8 appeared which asks if I only process data for accounts, invoicing and marketing and pubic relations in connection with my own business. Ticking that produces the answer that I don't need to register. Then again, what about ABRSM online exam entries? I think on consideration I almost certainly need to register.

I'm definitely going to be ringing ICO here- will report back anything I find out. I think that given the consequences of not registering when you should, the wording should be less ambiguous.

#33 aje

aje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Member: 7146

Posted 15 March 2018 - 23:02

Completely agree - Q7 should allow multiple options. Worth feeding that back when you phone them!

And … marketing? Surely the whole point here is to reduce spam marketing? Doh ...

#34 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 16 March 2018 - 00:31

so is Q2 anbigous? 
?does the 'and share it' apply to all the preceding phrases?

e,g, I maintain a list of contacts for occasional music gigs, mostly church services and accompanying as music is not my day job.

Obviously I don't share these details with anyone so does that mean I can answer 'No' to Q2?

#35 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:24

This is the one for individuals:

https://ico.org.uk/f...elf-assessment/

Which asks "Is your organisation responsible for deciding how the information is processed?"

So what organisation is that for an individual private teacher?
And if you answer no (because you are not an organisation) it says you don't need to register !

It doesn't sound as if ANY of this has been thought through from the perspective of individual teachers working alone. sad.png

#36 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:31

Most music teachers fall into the category of ‘up to 10’ employees, - this is called a Micro-Business.

My dictionary says that an employee is "a person who works as an employee of a company and is paid a salary by it".

I've never heard of a self-employed person being defined as an employee.

(Sorry about the bold: it won't go away)

#37 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:40

That’s exactly why I thought it might help some if I posted Liz Giannopoulos’s article here. She’s spent many hours piling through the EU regulations, contacting the ICO, quizzing those in the know … her guide definitely makes it all a lot more clear. So if you missed the link in my OP here it is again:

https://pianodao.com...rs-perspective/

Good though it is, even that is written more from the perspective of someone running a company. For instance, at the start of her exemplar Privacy Notice she states

Encore Music Tution Ltd will be what is known as the 'Controller' of the personal data you provide to us. Our company registration is 123456789...

How many private teachers with only a handful of pupils set up a registered limited liability company for the purpose?  ohmy.png
Yet again, this doesn't really seemed to be geared towards the average piano/singing/instrumental teacher working from home.

#38 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3205 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:34

I have had an update from my union.  They're on to it (obviously), and are in the process of gaining definitive guidance from a GDPR lawyer.

Just so long as said guidance comes in words of one syllable.

It's another reason that makes an often precarious way of earning a living somewhat challenging (like the job itself isn't challenging enough!).  We don't want to run a "company"; we just want to be left alone to do what we do and care about the most.  All this red tape means yet more unpaid time and many I know will be very stressed by it......

BPx

#39 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7853 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:14

In respect of all this I am a total ignoramus and as I don't live in the UK it doesn't concern me. But having read the thread out of interest my gut reaction is  like Bagpuss's first post - the world has gone start, staring, raving mad. I begin to wonder when we will be told by the powers that be to give up every minute of useful, productive employment and  instead spend every minute justifying what we then don't do.

#40 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4060 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:42

I thought the GDPR legislation came from the EU (from a brief look).

#41 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7853 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:48

Possibly - I haven't been into it. I certainly haven't heard of any attempt to implement it here. So why are the British attempting to implement  EU legislation? 
 No  one in Britain needs to bother about it because next March you won't be in the EU. The British will be able to make their own data protection laws - or apply those which come under any other organisation to which they might belong.

#42 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4060 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:12

I certainly haven't heard of any attempt to implement it here.
I hadn't heard *anything* about it until the thread on this forum.

#43 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2854 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:27

If any of you are, as seems likely, involved with groups such as choirs and orchestras they too will be affected. Luckily in our choir we have three people who are dealing with this at work, plus my husband who is in charge of the changes for his office, but it's still a nightmare. At the very least we'll be reissuing registration forms for all members, tightening up what we keep and for how long, and so on. How anyone is supposed to know what to do if they're just an ordinary member of the public is beyond me. I'd far rather they cracked down on the people who break the existing laws, apparently with impunity even when they're reported (which I do ALL the time!) than introduced more laws, laws which most of us will do our best to comply with and the criminals will cheerfully ignore. It's like the money laundering laws, which haven't stopped money laundering but have made life really difficult for lots of ordinary people. Or Ofsted, who has turned education into madness and still left children unable to write  a decent, comprehensiible sentence. Grrr.

#44 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:24

This is the one for individuals:

https://ico.org.uk/f...elf-assessment/

Which asks "Is your organisation responsible for deciding how the information is processed?"

So what organisation is that for an individual private teacher?
And if you answer no (because you are not an organisation) it says you don't need to register !

It doesn't sound as if ANY of this has been thought through from the perspective of individual teachers working alone. sad.png

Yes, I am not an organisation and I don't have employees and have found nothing on there that fits.

Is registration a one off or will it be an annual charge?

What do you actually get from registering?

I've not uncovered the answers to these questions yet and to spend time looking seems over the top for less than 4 hours paid work a week.

#45 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 16:44

Possibly - I haven't been into it. I certainly haven't heard of any attempt to implement it here. So why are the British attempting to implement  EU legislation?

They are not. The GDPR is an EU Directive which is directly applicable to all EU Member States without the need to incorporate it into national legislation. This is why the UK cannot avoid it, even though we shall soon be leaving the EU. And I'm afraid you in France cannot avoid it, either, Aquarelle. It will come into effect throughout the EU on 28th May this year.