#256 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7850 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:09

I repeat. We do not need to worry about sharing data with exam boards. This is covered by the fact that anexam board is a service provider needed for our business. The person who told me this is someone who has been regularly involved in the drawing up of and negotiating  within the EEC for  legislation.  That person was actually involved in the drawing up of the previous legislation which has been updated simply because back in the 1990's most people only kept records on paper. The use of computers  means there is a need to update but this is not intended to give small businesses enormous amounts of ridiculous responsibility. To quote what that person said  having looked at this thread -  "People are getting their knickers in a twist." Personally I would add that we are allowing ourselves to be exploited by certain people /organisations.

Here in France we are covered by the same EEC directive; The only difference it has made is that we have received reassuring emails from banks, insurance companies etc, explaining that they will be taking the new legislation on board and doing as much as possible to respect our privacy. There has been no mention of what the small artisan or businessman/woman has to do because there isn't anything to do except be sure that you don't misuse  data given to you in confidence for the purposes of the sensible running of your business. 

#257 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4060 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:31

I repeat. We do not need to worry about sharing data with exam boards. This is covered by the fact that an exam board is a service provider needed for our business.

That's good. I think it's roughly how I was interpreting it - that the exam board processes the data (eg. allocates exam slots, prints certificates, etc) that we provide and that the data is "protected" under their umbrella.

#258 Outspan

Outspan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Member: 1837

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:47

Agreed, ergo the self-assessment questionnaire didn't need answering, by definition we are not processors. That's my understanding too... 

"Under the Data Protection Act individuals and organisations that process personal information need to register"

#259 lingle

lingle

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1222 posts
  • Member: 240724

Posted 04 May 2018 - 16:51

I agree with Aquarelle’s anonymous friend.

Outspan, no, that “ergo” doesn’t “go” IYSWIM :)

#260 lingle

lingle

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1222 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 17:00

Music teachers are data processors.

#261 lingle

lingle

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1222 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 17:05

Some of you may be interested to know that aje has updated his blog with more thoughts on this subject, including commentary on, and direct quotes from, this thread.

Ah, so that was what he was doing it for. Am quite pleased to have guessed right :)

My spider senses are sharpen8ng with age...

#262 socrates17

socrates17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Member: 532145

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:02

I don't think there is a major problem here as the Act provides exemptions from notification for organisations that process personal data only for accounts and records in connection with their own business activity. There is a very simple article HERE on what we music teachers need to do. Basically, we should just have a simple privacy policy that our students (parents) consent to and there is even a nice SAMPLE PRIVACY POLICY HERE